Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie questions on Darkside conversion

5 posters

Go down

Newbie questions on Darkside conversion Empty Newbie questions on Darkside conversion

Post  vagabondjpm Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:55 am

First, thanks for a forum dedicated to darkside setups. It was something I contemplated with my Indian Chief but there was not enough room under the fender. Now that I own a Victory CrossRoads, I'm good to go.

I'm 90% sure I'm going to darkside with a Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55-16 when my rear needs replacing in a couple thousand miles. By checking the forum, and the weight difference between my bike and a GL1800, it seems 32 psi seems appropriate. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) That said, I still need to find a shop in the Chicago area who will change the tire. (Do I need to take it off or can "they" handle it?) My main reason for conversion is cost and safety. I average about 1K miles per month, nearly 1 set per season, so what kind of mileage can I expect out of a Michelin? 30K, 20K or better? I do ride aggressively and shave my floorboards so I expect to use all the tire tread.

Also, where is the cheapest place to by the tire? Best price I can find is $160.

Thank you for the input.

Ride safe.

vagabondjpm

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-07-16

Back to top Go down

Newbie questions on Darkside conversion Empty Re: Newbie questions on Darkside conversion

Post  Doc Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:21 pm

The Alpin is what I have been running for about 12,000 miles and have less than 1/32 wear so far.... It still looks new.
To me, 32psi feels good on the Wing although some people are running 28 - 30psi.
The Alpin is getting real hard to find now, If you found one for $160 I would jump all over it.
I'm not familiar with a Victory's rear wheel, but if it is like a VTX, any rim grip tire changer can mount it if you are careful with the rotor.
If it is like a Wing's rim then it is a piece of cake, no wait, that is how you get a fat girl on the back of a Harley... ROFL
Good luck with finding a shop in the Chicago area to do the work, maybe someone from that area will chime in.

Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Newbie questions on Darkside conversion Empty Michelin + alpinl=Primacy

Post  Tynker Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:28 pm

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+Alpin+PA3&partnum=055HR6PRPA3V2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Good price

Tynker

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2013-08-16

Back to top Go down

Newbie questions on Darkside conversion Empty Re: Another Newbie questions on Darkside conversion

Post  dyenfd Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:56 pm

I have a Honda CTX700 with a Sweet SL220 Sidecar and plan on replacing my rear tire (160/60ZR17) with a Achilles ATR-K Economist 175/55R17.
Does anyone have a recommendation on tire pressure. Honda originally recommended 36 psi solo and 42 psi for more than 200 lbs.

Thanks,
Fred

dyenfd

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2015-04-17

http://home.comcast.net/~dyenfd

Back to top Go down

Newbie questions on Darkside conversion Empty Re: Newbie questions on Darkside conversion

Post  rrounds Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:48 pm

I'd run it at 28 and see how it wears. If you put 36 in it just the middle will wear out. With a side car I would just look at the wear pattern and adjust for wear.

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down