Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bead seat

5 posters

Go down

bead seat Empty bead seat

Post  locopony Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:07 pm

I cant get the bead to seat. I've as much as 120 lbs in the tire still no seat. whats the trick?

locopony

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-04-28

Back to top Go down

bead seat Empty Re: bead seat

Post  Doc Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:52 pm

Lube it up good, and set it out in the sun. yes
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  locopony Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:10 pm

left it with over 100 lbs in it last night one side beaded up but not the other side. gonna try letting it get warm.

locopony

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Slappy8916 Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:14 pm

125 lbs in mine overnight on back of truck no bead still . Can't get it beaded about to burn it all down never had this much trouble (15 inch cast on vstar 1100 kumho 180/65r 15) any ideas ? On last leg missed work hurt back fighting tire for six hours yesterday

Slappy8916

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post  jimkivi Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:47 pm

I might caution you to be careful with "just add more air" as this morning I blew up a Kumho Solus 195/65-15. I had prepped the wheel, sanding it down, and managed to spoon on the tire, but no bead success with commercial tire lube, baby powder, silicon spray, or PAM cooking oil. Two days in the sun (though smokey here due to the local fires). No go. Took it to the local tire shop and re relubed it. No go. We put it on the no limit air compressor, and eased it up. When it blew, we were 10 feet away (at my suggestion, luckily) and though it rang our ears nobody was hurt. I cannot tell you what this would have looked like if I was at home, bending over the tire holding the air fill, but it would not be pretty. Take precautions when you up the pressure! The explosion brought people running, but no 911 call needed.

jimkivi

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post  rossmond Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:21 pm

i herd the 15" rims are 1/4" bigger than car rim dunno y,my 16 seated at 45 just like a bike tire,,be safe cage it
rossmond
rossmond

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  jimkivi Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:15 pm

It gets worse... I purchased another car tire - this one from Walmart. Got it on the wheel as before, but it would not bead up. After previous experience, I put it on a trailer 20 feet away after lube. I decided to stop at 105 pounds, and did. The tire blew out, and this time on only one side. It lifted the trailer tongue into the air, put a set in the spring, and blew the tire and wheel into a tree OVER my shop roof. It would have killed me if I was standing over it. Gave up and mounted a nice Shinko with 45 pounds. Again, caution called for. IF you cannot do this with a remote setup, don't do it. I just did a thousand miles on the VTX1800 with double dark side this week, but it looks like the sabre will stay motorcycle tires. Phoey!

jimkivi

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down