HELP!!! Riding in the rain or on wet pavement

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HELP!!! Riding in the rain or on wet pavement

Post  fatboy127 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Hey darksiders!!!

Looking to find out some information from those of you who have been using car tires on yor bikes for awhile. I too am looking to replace that crappy dunlop on my 2011 ulta and am almost ready to pull the trigger. However, The fella who will be mounting my tire is giving me a all I can handle about making this decision. His issue is wet traction. What tee's me of is he has my wifes ear, and of course, she has now in my rear about switching to a car tire. Her issue is wet traction. This fella has her convinced that we're gonna crash in the corner in the rain. I need some help here guys. ANYONE who has run car tires on there bike in these conditions PLEASE enlighten me PPPPPLLLLLEEASE. I NEED HELP!!! What chaps my pajamas is that if these tire companies would stop ripping us off and produce a dang tire that we could get some mileage on we wouldn't be here!!!! Also is there a process to running these tire or is it mount and go. Meaning do i run them at low air perssure for a while to round the tire.... Vader

fatboy127

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-06-25

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP!!! Riding in the rain or on wet pavement

Post  CaribCruiser on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:30 pm

Congrats with YOUR decision and welcome. thumbup One of the reasons we're running CT's is that we're
safer, we have more contact, more traction. Not only when riding in a straight line, but also in a
corner and therefore also in a corner with wet pavement.
I presume you've checked out some video's. If not just do a search here on the site or on YouTube.
So all I can say it's BS this mounting guy is telling you. Maybe invite him to watch the video's together.
After installing, just ride. Play a bit with the pressure and don't exaggerate the first couple of hundred
miles, since most CT's have molding on them.
Regards to the misses ! She'll also like it . . . ! Wink
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:13 pm

There is no comparison for wet OR dry traction. The CT wins hands down, and no reports of hydroplaning either AFAIK. My last rain had me 2up with the fully loaded trailer behind me at 75 mph with no issues at all. And that tire was on it's last run, hitting the wear bars.
This guy is another typical naysayer, spouting what he doesn't know anything about.
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Wet traction is quantum leaps better with the car tire.
Watch the rooster tail behind one sometime, they move water out of the way big time!!!
I road the Dragon in the rain once, and the only slipping I felt was the front motorcycle tire. The rear
Michelin Hydroedge was glued to the curves. thumbup

2012 Goldwing Candy Red
Michelin Alpin PA3 195/55/16   The Darkside... Ain't nothin' but a rubber thang...  Vader
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyDraco on Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:57 am

There is nothing like looking in your mirrors and see that 6" swath of tire mark on the wet roads... thumbup
I like GoodYear triple tread.. They have a nice water displacement...
I was looking at at Michelin Hydro edge ... I like the radical treads for H20 disbursement..
LadyDraco

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2010-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  GEARHEADFLA on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:51 am

The other day I rode home in this, tell your tire guy he is full of S....
GEARHEADFLA

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:20 am

Exactly.....your tire person is seeing phantoms and ghosts!!! LOL I can stop with my car tire better in the rain and ride harder than most motorcycle tires in the dry!!! You can quote me on that!!!!

Check this test out I done using a durometer in the link below! Softer rubber equals better grip in the rain!

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/t557-durometer-test-on-205-and-dunniepics-added?highlight=durometer

....................bobby

aka....Senior Vader...(giving to me by my friends) Vader

http://www.hickmachine.com/ I got the CTR and love it!

VTXDS # 5
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  coldweatherfreak on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:16 am

Traction ?

the General Altimax Arctic give me the ability to ride in ANY and I mean ANY conditions with comfort

rain done that
freezing rain, done that too, as well as snow & sleet
coldweatherfreak

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  fatboy127 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:46 pm

THANKS GUY'S.. My buddy is running a CT on his wing and tells me the same thing... I'll keep you all up to date when I swap over!!!!

fatboy127

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-06-25

Back to top Go down

Hi

Post  Khuts on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:45 pm

I might be alittle late putting my 2 cents in but,,,,,
I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 2 litre
My CT is a Micheline Hydro Edge 205/60/16
I have heard from the other sheeps that profess against
going to car tires for any number of idiotic reasons BAAaaaa I say. cus

My longest sustained in rain weather drive is an 8 hour run covering 875 km's
All in rain, heavy downpours to spitting, from cool morning to hot
afternoon then back to cool evening. yes

My advice to you friend is to,,,,,,, hmmm
Don't waste your time, money and energy with the sheep
(both male and female).

If you've got any knowledge of mechanics try changing the tire yourself,
I do all of mine now that I've seen how easy it can be. yes

Then try it out, give it time, and come to your own conclusions.

Yes it's a different feeling. Surprised
Yes it takes abit of getting used to. Shocked
Yes you'll notice better acceleration. Very Happy
Yes you'll notice better breaking. Exclamation
Yes your pocket book will feel fuller. 2cents
And, yes the final decision is still yours. Suspect

Cheers
Khuts
Khuts

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Mud Flap

Post  slidderhd on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:00 pm

OK, I hear that the CT throws a mean rooster tail and the passenger gets soaked on the backside. Is this true and where do I get a Mudflap for my Rocket III Touring? Question
slidderhd

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:24 pm

slidderhd wrote:OK, I hear that the CT throws a mean rooster tail and the passenger gets soaked on the backside. Is this true and where do I get a Mudflap for my Rocket III Touring? Question
On my VTX C model which has a pretty short rear fender I never had trouble with the passenger getting wet. Usually it was the car or bike following me that caught all the spray. Twisted Evil

2012 Goldwing Candy Red
Michelin Alpin PA3 195/55/16   The Darkside... Ain't nothin' but a rubber thang...  Vader
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  slidderhd on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:06 pm

coldweatherfreak wrote:Traction ?

the General Altimax Arctic give me the ability to ride in ANY and I mean ANY conditions with comfort

rain done that
freezing rain, done that too, as well as snow & sleet

Dude, that rocks!!! I always wanted to do the snow thing with a sport bike, but Iive too far South.
slidderhd

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post  jpierce575 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:43 pm

00 Doc wrote:
slidderhd wrote:OK, I hear that the CT throws a mean rooster tail and the passenger gets soaked on the backside. Is this true and where do I get a Mudflap for my Rocket III Touring? Question
On my VTX C model which has a pretty short rear fender I never had trouble with the passenger getting wet. Usually it was the car or bike following me that caught all the spray. Twisted Evil

Wes, did you ever ride with a passenger? (insert missing stirring the pot icon here)

Just kidding Very Happy

In all honesty though, with my VTX C, my passenger always got soaked, that was part of the motivation for installing an R fender.
jpierce575

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:50 pm

I thought the reason we rode our CT's in the rain was to cross in front of and soak our buds! I love that 30' roostertail!
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  coldweatherfreak on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:19 am

quadancer wrote:I thought the reason we rode our CT's in the rain was to cross in front of and soak our buds! I love that 30' roostertail!

my "snow shovel" rear fender contains the rooster tail fairly well, problem is the brine from winter riding gave my bike cancer
coldweatherfreak

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:55 am

quadancer wrote:I thought the reason we rode our CT's in the rain was to cross in front of and soak our buds! I love that 30' roostertail!

lafer lafer lafer lafer lafer lafer

aka....Senior Vader...(giving to me by my friends) Vader

http://www.hickmachine.com/ I got the CTR and love it!

VTXDS # 5
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:50 pm

Today saw me and my bud Ron in the N Ga. mountains. Rain popping up so we decided to haul it down and get out from under the cloud, but as we were sparking and larking it down the hills, the wet caught up with us, soon turning into a near frog-choker. As we kept seeing the edge of the cloud, we just stayed on it, even scraped a few times.
The Austone and Shinko 777 up front performed flawlessly all the way down, and made up for poor vision we had, us needing some hot brakes at times, and tighter radius than we were set up for. I was surprised to scrape boards at 60 in a hard rain, but laughed at that and decided I'm too chikkin for that level of insanity.
It's nice to know it's there when I need it. And I road-tested the traction with the back brake a few times, very happy that she snuggered right down using only the back.
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Riding in the Rain

Post  johnnie1 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:52 pm

I have had a C/T on for awhile with 8,500 mi on it. All I can say is it performs great in the rain, better than any M/T I have had and over all I love it I can't see going back to a M/T conrnering is as good or better and stopping power is much better. I think this is a personal decision one needs to make, I did a lot of research before I did it and had second thoughts about it, but after a couple of hundred miles I was sold on the C/T. My C/T is on a goldwing, but my son runs one on a 2011 street glide and is very happy with it, in fact he just replaced his at 18,000 mi about double what he would get out of a M/T at half the price...Ride Safe and Ride A Lot.
johnnie1

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  GEARHEADFLA on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:31 am

My CT is hands down better in the rain than my MC ever thought of being. I too did a lot of research before I crossed over, even bought another rear rim to mount the CT on in case I didn't like it I could just put the MT back on. After riding on the CT the MT will never go back on. Love the ride, extra traction and stopping power I get now wet or dry. I find myself worrying about the front tire in the rain more than the rear now. I also love the turning the CT gives me. I ride a 1000lb loaded Kaw Voyager XII and have dragged the pegs just to see if I can. Not bad on 1/2 ton bike huh? thumbup
GEARHEADFLA

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top