Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

got smoked...

3 posters

Go down

got smoked... Empty got smoked...

Post  spud1800r Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:49 pm

We were on Rt 2 in NY going to Ma, it's a twisty mountain road, lots of bad pavement frost heaves, etc.. My buddy is in front on a ST1300, I'm on an 03 X Retro, and we're pushing it pretty good. Behind me I see a bike coming up pretty fast. Turns out it's a sportster, 2 up. I think no way he's getting by me, I'm riding hard.
3 seconds later on a left hander, he's gone...WTF?? Shocked Next corner and he's by the ST...never saw him again...
We agreed to never mention it again after today. We're guessing it wasn't his first time on that road...

My question is why is my bike hopping & skipping on bumpy corners? Stock shocks got about 15k on them, set on 4 cause I'm a porker, Hankook H418-- 205 60 17, has 6k on it and 34 psi in it, bushings are less than a year old, Carr-McMaster ones. New flange bearing rebuild last winter. As soon as it hits bumps in a corner it hops out on me. Feels like the back only, not the whole bike. Last tire was a Maxxis and I don't remember it ever doing this.
Riding 2 up it doesn't do it. Think it's the air pressure? shock setting? All ideas welcome.
thanks, Craig
spud1800r
spud1800r

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

got smoked... Empty Re: got smoked...

Post  Doc Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:30 am

Sounds like compression setting on rear shock is too stiff for just you, you say it doesn't happen when you are two up.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  spud1800r Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:23 pm

thanks for the .02 OO Doc, guess I gotta pull the bags and give the shocks a twist.
Craig
spud1800r
spud1800r

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post  speedsville Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:29 am

00 Doc wrote:Sounds like compression setting on rear shock is too stiff for just you, you say it doesn't happen when you are two up.

I might think so too.
I'm 220 with a GY TT on the rear and about the same air pressure
Set on #2 stock shocks and hit some wavy pavement in a turn yesterday and the bike was stable.
Doing about 60 in a sweeper off ramp.

Maybe not the same but all I have to suggest.

speedsville
speedsville

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down