Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

heres a new problem with my shadow.

5 posters

Go down

heres a new problem with my shadow. Empty heres a new problem with my shadow.

Post  Dude Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:04 pm

my dad bought me a 99vlx 600 when i was 13 and then when i was 15 gave me my 04 vtx 1300 and i decided to get the shadow out to have something to dick around with. i went to fire it up for the first time in about a year and it wasn't getting fuel so i decided to spray a tad bit of either in the carb and fired right up and ran no problem rode it about 10 miles came home shut it off and started right back up. i let it set for about 3 days and again wasn't getting fuel and would not start. and then sprayed the either again and starts right up no hesitation. as long as i start it every day it does not do this but if i let it set for more then 48 hours it doesnt start with out either. any ideas on what could be causing this problem??

Thanks,
Dude
Dude
Dude

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

heres a new problem with my shadow. Empty Re: heres a new problem with my shadow.

Post  Bladerunner Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:12 pm

sounds like your choke is stuck open , something I have tried for a temporary choke is stuffing a rag in the air breather to start the bike, pulling it out after starting it.

Bladerunner

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-06-02

Back to top Go down

heres a new problem with my shadow. Empty Re: heres a new problem with my shadow.

Post  Doc Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:06 am

Sounds like a fuel bowl leak Dude, it sits for a bit and dries up so there is nothing to start with.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:04 pm

Or fuzzy plugs? Check for rust. Probably the float sticking or bowl leaking as mentioned.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Dude Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:57 pm

i put new plugs in it and the float in the carb aint goin up when you twist the throttle, even when running will run if i put gas in the carb. gonna pull the tank off again and check the vent line for plugs or wholes etc.

Dude
Dude
Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:33 am

I'm telling ya son, the petcock diaphragm has a hole or tear in it not allowing it to open. Or your vacuum hose has a cut tear or dry rot. Not that I would know anything about these scoots Embarassed Twisted Evil

Don't you remember Twin and I tearing a carb apart in the hotel bathroom and then tearing the sink drain apart retrieving parts out of the P-trap? All this while we were 700 miles from home?

Good times

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:03 am

I didn't know you had the vacuum petcock like a Harley - Mine leaked, so I tore out the guts, put sealer on it, and made it into a regular oldschool petcock. Still workin' fine.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Dude Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:15 am

yeah dad i remember that, and i will check all the lines and see if i find any thing wrong. or ill make squirt ( my baby sister she hatse that name so we call her it even more Very Happy ) do it since it is her bike and all

Dude
Dude
Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down