For those already on the Darkside

View previous topic View next topic Go down

For those already on the Darkside

Post  Andy Cote on Tue May 29, 2012 7:45 pm

For those already on the Darkside, keepers of the faith, defenders of truth and overall cookie monsters.

Preaching to the choir here. Everyone reading this has already determined that they have found a better than original tire for their bike and their style of riding. I don’t believe this is the best choice for everyone and certainly am not trying to tell anyone they are wrong by not trying this type tire. But there are many motorcyclists out there who are watching and reading and thinking about this idea just like we all were at one time. What aggravates me is the naysayers that put us down just because we’re using car parts and trying to save money.

What we need to do now is reform the discussion. When someone comes up to you and says “Isn’t that a car tire?” it’s like asking “Do you still beat your wife?” You immediately assume a defensive posture and never move forward.

When someone comes up to me and says “Isn’t that a car tire?” I say “No. It’s a motorcycle tire as it’s obviously on a motorcycle.”

“But,” they say, “It looks like a car tire; kinda flat on the bottom.”

“Why yes, you are very observant. This style tire is perfect for a heavy touring bike like mine. This tire is DOT approved, has the correct size and correct speed rating for my bike. It even has a better load range than the original equipment tire and can be had in a Run-On-Flat variant. I have been amazed at the performance and longevity of this tire – vastly better than any I have used before. It is a flatter cross-section than a typical motorcycle tire and that better meets my needs than any other tire I have previously used.”

If you run into a real naysayer like the H-U-B expert at the local dealer service shop, he may try to contradict and argue at which point I invite him to bend down and look closely at the marking on the tire and ask him to show where it says “NOT FOR USE ON TWO WHEELED VEHICLES,” the same thing I would ask someone is they refused warranty service or an insurance claim. “Really? Show me.”

That’s the bottom line. Tires have sizes, speed ratings, load ratings, maximum pressure ratings, mud & snow ratings, tubeless ratings, dates of manufacture, country of origin but I’ve never seen one that said it was for use only on cars. Therefore I never say that I have a car tire on my Goldwing.

So next time someone asks you, just say “No.”
Andy Cote

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-10-01

Back to top Go down

re for those already on the darkside

Post  Larry Simpson on Tue May 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Where do you guys go??? I have been on the darkside sense late 2007 and have had many ask about the CT but have never had anyone get irate over it .I wouldn't take offense if they did though mainly because I don't really care what they think.They will only be a problem for you if you let them be. thumbup thumbup
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Re: For those already on the Darkside

Post  GEARHEADFLA on Wed May 30, 2012 7:29 am

When I'm TOLD that it can't be safe, done or even work and I have a death wish, I just say "OK" and ride off into the sunset. A long time good friend of my own's the local Victory dealership here, when he heard that I went Darkside he jumped my butt saying that not only you can't use CT's but the tread pattern and make of MC's MUST MATCH front and rear and he didn't have enough money to send flowers to my funeral. Really? Well I blow my horn everytime I ride by the dealership on the way to work.
GEARHEADFLA

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post  smokum on Wed May 30, 2012 6:46 pm

Could care less what anyone thinks. And if they wanna talk behind my back, they may as well kiss my a$$ while they're back there. Twisted Evil
smokum

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 on Thu May 31, 2012 8:34 am

GHF, your "Buddy" should come off your christmas card list Smile My naysayers are a decreasing list. Anyone that knows me at all knows I don't give a damn what they think about it. Until they try it they don't have an opinion.
I have a neighbor that has been watching me for several years. He finally went dark on his scoot and after 1k made a point to stop by and tell me "I love it" this is not a recreational rider. I would guess Roger has probably close if not more than a million miles in the saddle on all types of rides. He's also been riding longer than I've been alive, and I'm not exactly a pup. So, he has a pretty good idea what he likes in a bike and bike performance. He never naysayed me about it at all. From the very beginning he has been interested and inquisitive. Now he is a happy darksider.

Life is good

See you out there
Smokey

Life's short, work hard, play harder and ride it like it's yours.

Wringing your hands just prevents you from rolling up your sleeves.

1300C with too many to list and the list keeps changing.
Currently running Hydroedge 205-70-15

carb tuning help by scar http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=1914
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:17 am

Most are just curious. The only real naysayers I've encountered are mostly online, directing comments to us all at large.
My standard answer is, "Well, if you think so, come to the Dragon with us and see if you can keep up with this fat ol' Harley."
Should be REALLY interesting now that I'm buttoning her up with a new set of cams! (ok, I'm cheating a little bit, but hey,
they're just torque cams - 21's)
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top