Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VTX1800 w/2-person sidecar... A no-rub tire size, PLEASE!

2 posters

Go down

VTX1800 w/2-person sidecar... A no-rub tire size, PLEASE! Empty VTX1800 w/2-person sidecar... A no-rub tire size, PLEASE!

Post  jevers Thu May 10, 2012 10:47 am

Hello all, The newest of all newbies here. I did quite a few hours of searching on this tremendously informative site, but I'd still like some specific advise re; my unique application. I have a 2003 Honda VTX1800C w/ a 2002 California Friendship III 2 person sidecar that weighs 275 lbs. empty. Obviously this is alot of weight to push-pull-drag down the road, but what a blast! The stock rear tire is shot, having wore down to the cords from the center-line of the tire to the left (the right side is virtually untouched) hmmm . Just the nature of the beast, but here is my concern; with the amount of unusual pressure put on the sidewall(s) of the tire, is there a tire brand/model/size that anyone could recommend trying to have the least chance of rubbing? I would like to stay as close to stock size as possible for the speedo's sake, but I haved toyed with the idea of going "shorter" to gain a little power. I pretty much lose 1 whole gear to the sidecar. A little long winded, I know, but trying to be thorough. Thank you! jevers

jevers

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

VTX1800 w/2-person sidecar... A no-rub tire size, PLEASE! Empty Re: VTX1800 w/2-person sidecar... A no-rub tire size, PLEASE!

Post  jevers Thu May 10, 2012 11:04 am

Awwwww, C'mon guys! I can't be the ONLY one "working" today! Sorry if I seem impatient, but I am! Rolling Eyes

jevers

Back to top Go down

VTX1800 w/2-person sidecar... A no-rub tire size, PLEASE! Empty Re: VTX1800 w/2-person sidecar... A no-rub tire size, PLEASE!

Post  Doc Thu May 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Welcome
Welcome jevers,
I don't know of anyone that runs a hack on an 1800C,
but a 205/65/16 is close to stock height and will fit on a regular 1800C with out a problem. Vader
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  jevers Thu May 10, 2012 8:24 pm

Thanks for the confirmation, Doc. After all of the posts I've read, that seems to be the most common size. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the sidewall is stiffer on the car tire vs. the motorcycle tire? My guess is that the car tire would be stiffer due to the extra weight it has to carry. Which is good in my case to hopefully reduce the flex from the sidecar. Thanks. jevers thumbup

jevers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down