Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brake Issue

3 posters

Go down

Brake Issue Empty Brake Issue

Post  KC8CTA Sun May 06, 2012 9:54 am

I changed my tires and brake pads yesterday. I choose to go with the Honda pads. When I got everything back together the pads sounded like they were dragging. I took it around the block and the noise got even louder. Got back home, and raised front of bike and rotated the tire. It would only spin 1-1 1/2 revolutions. Put the old brak pads back on this morning. Spun the tire and did not hear anything rubbing and the tire went 4-5 revolutiions. I apply front and rear brake, spun tire and again somethig is dragging and the tire barely spins 1 time around. Everything is put back correct. Even at the request from the dealer used a feeler gauge in between the rotor and caliper to make sure it was adjusted correctly. I am stumpped at this time. I am thinking 1 or more pistons are not releasing. When I had the bike in the dealer for brake recall he said I might want to think about changing the fluid. He said he would wait until the end of the season and I would be fine. I pulled the cap of the reservoir and it was a light brown color. I got a buddy coming over with his mity-vac and we are going to try and bleed the brakes. Can you guys think of anything else I can check?
KC8CTA
KC8CTA

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2012-02-24

Back to top Go down

Brake Issue Empty Re: Brake Issue

Post  KC8CTA Sun May 06, 2012 8:02 pm

Flush the brake system and the fliud looked like maple syrup. affraid Brakes do not drag anymore. Still got some air in there as pedal is a little soft.
Talk about a pain in the butt to bleed the brakes. cus
KC8CTA
KC8CTA

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Mon May 07, 2012 10:50 am

I have heard the best way to bleed these things is with a vacuum pump. I have not done mine yet. I probably shuld as the bike is almost 6 years old (although it mostly was a garage queen the first4 years) and has 54k on it. I do have the raspy sound from the front like they are dragging.

Glad it was a cheap if not easy fix for you.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  KC8CTA Tue May 08, 2012 7:11 pm

I used the Migty-Vac hand pump. My 04 only had 22,xxx miles on it and the fluid was toasted.
KC8CTA
KC8CTA

Back to top Go down

Brake Issue Empty brake fluid

Post  newday777 Thu May 10, 2012 11:21 am

The brake fluid needs changing yearly- 2 at outmost or you will end up with gummed components and failures. When bleeding old fluid out, first suck out the old that is in the master cylinder, wipe out the m/c with a clean rag moistened with clean Dot 4, rinse w/Dot 4, suck that out then refill and start brake bleed sequence for your bike.
When changing the pads be sure and clean all the slide pins and lube with a silicone brake grease so the work properly and don't hang up.
Calipers that are over 2 years since take apart/clean, you should pop out the pistons and clean the pistons as the dust gets in the seal and groove area allowing leakage of Dot 4 on the piston and the brake dust there, causing an acid to eat into the piston coating causing pits and rust and there by piston lock-no return and pad wear, rotor heat and warp. They need cleaning to prevent this from happening. Will you get away not doing it? For a short time yes, than it's a total rebuild time or replacement. PIA but the PM will save you lots.

newday777

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down