where can I get .......

View previous topic View next topic Go down

where can I get .......

Post  locopony on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:46 pm

Old school bias ply tires for my bike. I have a Triumph that I am de-conforming- rat rodding out. I need an old style bias ply car tire for it.
Oh, yeah and a small question (not that it matters much. I do what I want) Alot of people on other forums are highly against dark side riding. Have any of you had handling problems as a result from the automotive tire?

locopony

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-04-28

Back to top Go down

Re: where can I get .......

Post  smokey2255 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:05 pm

Cant help you on the bias ply, but will ask why are you set on a bias when the radial are far superior?
As far as the nay sayers .... they are just closed minded follow the big corporate trend, sheep that can't think for them selves.
Yes we have discovered handling issues. You will find several threads about it. The car tire tends to accentuate other issues with the bike. Usually stuff like, shock bushings, steering stem bearings, wrong air pressures.
Never have we seen a car tire cause handling issues.

Welcome and good luck on your build.

See you out there
Smokey

Life's short, work hard, play harder and ride it like it's yours.

Wringing your hands just prevents you from rolling up your sleeves.

1300C with too many to list and the list keeps changing.
Currently running Hydroedge 205-70-15

carb tuning help by scar http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=1914
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:49 am

J&P Cycles, easily found on Google, does carry some of the old-style looking tires in Harley sizes. These are modern tires, with old style tread. I've also seen them on other sites, but did not keep that information as to where.

As to handling on a car tire vs bike tire. They are more flat, and at parking lot speeds I did have to become accustomed to the feel on my C-10 Concours. It takes a bit more effort, and the feel is slightly different, but I don't even think of that anymore. Afterwards, when I also went darkside on my 900C Vulcan, either I was used to the feel or it wasn't there.

One thing to consider, if you change your own tires, the costs of using a car tire is far less than a bike tire, so it might be worth this small costs to get a tire that lasts for a very long time, has much better wet pavement traction and, for me, better braking traction on the rear.
Fly
crazy person

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-12-24

http://vulcanriders.us/forum

Back to top Go down

Post  rrounds on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:12 pm

Here is a web site that has a lot of old school tires
https://www.universaltire.com/

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:37 pm

Fly wrote:J&P Cycles, easily found on Google, does carry some of the old-style looking tires in Harley sizes. These are modern tires, with old style tread. I've also seen them on other sites, but did not keep that information as to where.

As to handling on a car tire vs bike tire. They are more flat, and at parking lot speeds I did have to become accustomed to the feel on my C-10 Concours. It takes a bit more effort, and the feel is slightly different, but I don't even think of that anymore. Afterwards, when I also went darkside on my 900C Vulcan, either I was used to the feel or it wasn't there.

One thing to consider, if you change your own tires, the costs of using a car tire is far less than a bike tire, so it might be worth this small costs to get a tire that lasts for a very long time, has much better wet pavement traction and, for me, better braking traction on the rear.
You got a picture of the Connie 1000 with a car tire ? What size did you use ? Any mods to get it to fit ?
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1642
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:22 am

Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 wrote:
Fly wrote:J&P Cycles, easily found on Google, does carry some of the old-style looking tires in Harley sizes. These are modern tires, with old style tread. I've also seen them on other sites, but did not keep that information as to where.

You got a picture of the Connie 1000 with a car tire ? What size did you use ? Any mods to get it to fit ?

Actually, no pictures, even after a couple of years and 30,000 miles or so, sorry. There was no issues with the Vredestien Comtrac tire, a 175 75 R 16. No mods, just changed tire and put back on. I think I may have had to mount it uninflated, but can't remember for sure. With the Concours being so top heavy and already being a handful at very slow speeds of 5 MPH or so, there was a noticeable 'feel' of being on the tire edge at hard, very slow speed turns. However, that soon went away and now don't notice it at all.
Fly
crazy person

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-12-24

http://vulcanriders.us/forum

Back to top Go down

Post  CutterDuck on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:51 pm

Have you tried your local farm supply store? I believe some of them still carry bias ply tires (if none of the other suggestions above have what you are looking for).
CutterDuck

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post  locopony on Tue May 01, 2012 6:12 pm

The reason I am asking about bias ply auto tires is mostly for the nastalgic look, but partly because I think (maybe its in my head) they are more flexible than radial. I could be wrong .....I have been before.

locopony

Back to top Go down

Post  locopony on Wed May 02, 2012 10:50 am

Ok, how do I know what air pressure to put in the tire?
and, How do I decide what size tire to order on line?

locopony

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Wed May 02, 2012 8:48 pm

locopony wrote:The reason I am asking about bias ply auto tires is mostly for the nastalgic look, but partly because I think (maybe its in my head) they are more flexible than radial. I could be wrong .....I have been before.
Then you are missing the entire concept of the radials. Keep in mind that we NEED the sidewall to flex to: a.) keep more tread on the ground, and, b.) allow the bike to sit INTO the curve rather than riding on TOP of it, or feeling so.
On a car, it's more about the ride. Probably the same for us. Far smoother than a MT.
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  locopony on Thu May 03, 2012 4:29 pm

how do ya decide what air pressure and tire size.

locopony

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 on Thu May 03, 2012 8:31 pm

look at the stock size and clearance on the bike, then see which tires are available that will fit your machine. Then decide which of those fit your needs and budget.

Good luck

See you out there
Smokey

Life's short, work hard, play harder and ride it like it's yours.

Wringing your hands just prevents you from rolling up your sleeves.

1300C with too many to list and the list keeps changing.
Currently running Hydroedge 205-70-15

carb tuning help by scar http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=1914
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Mon May 07, 2012 7:44 am

locopony wrote:how do ya decide what air pressure.
Start in the mid 30's and ride a few hundred or more. Change pressures in 2 lb. increments for each trial. (you might start at 38 and go down)
The bike will follow ruts, rain grooves or uneven pavement a bit more than a bike tire when pressure is too high.
The bike will have a wallowing feeling in the sweepers if the pressure is too low.
Your sweet spot is directly in between these two exremes; you can fine tune it later as you get used to it. I say that because many mistake the
way the tire lays into a curve for wallowing; they seem to sort of "squat" into a curve and then act like it's on a rail. If it wallows IN the curve,
you are probably too low - BUT;
Be sure to check out your front end and front tire before changing the rear pressures. CT's tend to exacerbate any anomolies in the front end,
like cupped tires, loose head bearings, worn shock bushings, ect.
Rain grooves and bridges make all bikes wiggle a bit, but it's not going anywhere. It's uncomfortable, and if high pressure is causing it, that is
going to wear the tire unevenly, lose some traction, and possibly cause cupping and harsher ride.
Low pressure will kill your confidence and cause a hot tire; never a good thing.
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  GEARHEADFLA on Mon May 07, 2012 10:00 am

they seem to sort of "squat" into a curve and then act like it's on a rail. If it wallows IN the curve,

That is the exact words I've been looking for to describe the feel I get now that I changed over last weekend, I'm at 40 lbs now. I will play with pressure a little bit but I may be close now. Thanks again for the information on here.
GEARHEADFLA

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post  locopony on Tue May 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Thanks for posting the info above. When I put a tire on .....when I find one. I'll have some thing to go on. no pun intended here.

locopony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum