Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two wheel dynamics

4 posters

Go down

Two wheel dynamics Empty Two wheel dynamics

Post  go1/2fast Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:04 pm

The dynamics of two wheeled vehicles involve several components leaning to turn, the distance between wheels , speed and several others. My question why are car tires good only cruisers? Yes I am a nubee.

go1/2fast

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-03-07

Back to top Go down

Two wheel dynamics Empty re two wheel dynamics

Post  Larry Simpson Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:50 pm

I think that is an opinion formed because we know the CT is stable to the point of the lean angle of a cruiser but not trying it we don't know if the CT would be stable to the maximum lean angle of a crotch rocket, therefore cannot recomend the use of a CT on any crothrocket or sport bike.But again this is just my opinion. hmmm hmmm
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Two wheel dynamics Empty Re: Two wheel dynamics

Post  go1/2fast Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:35 pm

I am not that well versed in handling characteristics, is it acceleration, wheel base or what that determine the class of the bike? For instance cursor, sport, sport touring and pure touring all of which are street legal. Using the MSF technique of slow look lean and roll, I am the opinion the degree of the curve and speed determine turning technic or angle. Aain I am just learning and the cost of the CT is stimulating my interest in going in that direction.

go1/2fast

Back to top Go down

Two wheel dynamics Empty re two wheel dynamics

Post  Larry Simpson Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:04 pm

It has nothing to do with speed,it has to do with ground clearence ,the more ground clearence the more lean you are cappable of attaining in a curve before dragging hard parts .Cruisers drag hard parts on much less angle than sport bikes or crotch rockets. thumbup thumbup
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  go1/2fast Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Thanks for clearing the cobwebs out of an ancient mind. I am living on a retired income and am looking to refinance the house in order purchase a wing. Because of cost restraints I am currently riding a V-Star 650 with 1,700 miles and when it comes time to get a new rear tire I will go to the CT What are your thoughts on a Michelin rain tire?

go1/2fast

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:48 pm

The Michelin Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55/16 is the tire many Goldwingers are trying.
It is a winter tire. I haven't heard any complaints about it, everyone seems to speak very highly of it.
I've got about 7000 on mine and am super happy with it. thumbup
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  go1/2fast Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:43 pm

How much problem is encountered in getting a CT mounted and balanced? I have spoke wheels so I understand that a tube is in order here. I don't have the tools to do my own mounting.

go1/2fast

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:40 pm

Okay, I gotta butt in here: my "tools" consist of 2 pieces of 2x4 to lay the wheel on, one bench vise to start the bead break, and one Harbor freight tire spoon, plus one short dirtbike tire spoon (just easier to use and hit with a hammer), and tire shine silicone to make things slippery.
There is no great magic to changing tires, or need to spend $50/tire at your local bike shop. Dirt bikers routinely do tube fixes on the side of a trail. And that usually in a hurry, like 5-10 minutes.
Many many of us balance with dyna beads or some with RideOn tire sealant, which will take you all of a few more minutes to install. IF you really don't want to mess with it all, then find your local "mom & pop" bike shop (often dirt bikes), and they will gladly put any rubber donut you have on the rim.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  go1/2fast Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:57 pm

How bout the shop I purchase the tire from? I had a place that is primarily a tire sales but they did a great job of installing tie rod ends on the family charger.

go1/2fast

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:35 pm

I read that some tire shops will just do it for ya...the biggest problem seem to be bike dealerships, who seem to know
everything there is to know about tires on bikes. Yeh, right.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  go1/2fast Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:27 pm

No doubt cycle dealers make a substantial profit on tires plus if they did consent to mount the tire I would probably have to sign a liability release. Also my cycle has a shaft drive and would a car tire store do a good job?

go1/2fast

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:23 pm

Try your local indy's - dirt bike shops in particular. Good point about the shaft, and the tire dealer won't know to grease it or what to charge.
I know I ride Hogs, but it's common knowledge around here that you'll need to pull your wheel at some midpoint in the tire's like and grease
that spline...since you AIN'T a-gonna wear it out anytime soon!
Nice problem ta have, huh?
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  go1/2fast Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:48 pm

I just had the oil changed and I asked them to do the shaft also. There is a post in this form on how to chose a CT so I won't have to modify anything I will keep looking I curently have 1,700 miles on the cycle so that means the same milage on the rear tire.

Thank all for the info.

Jim

go1/2fast

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum