Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suzuki GS muscle bike

4 posters

Go down

Suzuki GS muscle bike Empty Suzuki GS muscle bike

Post  thascrambler Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Suzuki GS muscle bike 005 Hi all, I have a 81 Suzuki gs1100e dragbike i am making street legal again, i already run a ct on a chevy rim for racing (dragracing) so my natural thought is to get a car tire for the road. Ive done alot of reading on the subject now and i only have a couple concerns before i go ahead and do this, my bike is only about 650-675 lbs. w/ me on it, and the tires im looking @ are the BFG radial T/A, and the goodyear gps2 155/80r15. I wont be doin any knee dragging or seroius carving. Any input would be appriciated.

thascrambler

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-09-27

Back to top Go down

Suzuki GS muscle bike Empty Re: Suzuki GS muscle bike

Post  Doc Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Sounds like it will work, if that is the size that fits. thumbup
What size is the slick you have on in the pic?
With your bike's weight, I'm thinking you will probably run tire pressures in the low 30psi range.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  thascrambler Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:34 pm

The slick is a 26x6r15 specifically made for vw beetles, the 155/80r15 seems to be the closest size available.

thascrambler

Back to top Go down

Post  thascrambler Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 pm

Im also wondering if anyone has any hardtail experience, i use strut bars when i race and i like the stance it gives the bike. Im thinkin it could multiply the poss adverse handilng difference, the sidewall wanting to "slide" (left to right around a corner) more when there arent shocks helping absorb the road changes. Shrug

thascrambler

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:31 pm

You DO know that a 155 is gonna be real narrow? You might have to gear up a bit going wider, but I'm not familiar with the smaller 15's.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:38 pm

thascrambler wrote:Im also wondering if anyone has any hardtail experience, i use strut bars when i race and i like the stance it gives the bike. Im thinkin it could multiply the poss adverse handilng difference, the sidewall wanting to "slide" (left to right around a corner) more when there arent shocks helping absorb the road changes. Shrug

I've been riding the darkside for 3 years now and love to scrape pegs when I'm on the twisties and I
have never experience any "sidewall wanting to "slide" (left to right around a corner)" Shrug
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:51 pm

Sounds like low pressure. We call it 'wallowing'.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  thascrambler Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:57 pm

Wallowing it is, do you think a "hardtail" would be more prone to it? The 155/80r15 is roughly a 5.8-6.1" wide 24 3/4" tall wide tire, right now i run a true 26x6r15 and could prob get a 6 3/8" section width in there. Which brings up another question, if i put say a 26x6 1/2" on a smaller width rim (3.5-4" rim when specs of tire sw is measured on a 4 1/2-5" rim), will my section width become measurably smaller or will it just "bulge" and remain basically unchanged? My gearing is super low right now (was a 18 tooth front is now a 12 and the rear is 10 teeth oversize), was gonna put stock sprockets back on for the road, or poss just the front depending on my cruising rpm and final tire height.

thascrambler

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:31 pm

The narrower rim will pull the sides in a bit, plus section width decreases at speed from centrifugal force.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:09 pm

Our VW tires that we first ran were 165/80/15's and not 155's. I would look for the 165 and I think you would love it. I did and so did a lot of others.

..............bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down