Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KLR 650 darkside

5 posters

Go down

KLR 650 darkside Empty KLR 650 darkside

Post  vwh2o Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:40 am

Anyone ever run darkside on a street/trail bike or anything similar? I have been running darkside on my Honda Rune for over a year now and love it, Wouldn't go back to a mc tire. Just getting some feed back on if it would work or not or if anyone has tried it. The bike tire is a 130/80- 17 and the car tire I found similar in size is the Coker Excelsior 450-17 bias ply. The bike is mainly street use and some gravel.

vwh2o

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-08-13

Back to top Go down

KLR 650 darkside Empty Re: KLR 650 darkside

Post  ltrmc02 Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:18 am

Good question, if CT's will work on a dual sport, I may have to put some BFG MT's on my KLR thumbup

I don't guess they make the Mud tires that small though Shrug

ltrmc02

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:24 pm

Be careful with the car tire on the KLR...it is possible to lean it over far enough to get off the tread and onto the side wall. The ground clearance is so high, that it could do that. JMO Plus the car tire is usually a little heavier than a MT and could rob a little performance for it????

......................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  coldweatherfreak Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:54 pm

vwh2o wrote:Anyone ever run darkside on a street/trail bike or anything similar? I have been running darkside on my Honda Rune for over a year now and love it, Wouldn't go back to a mc tire. Just getting some feed back on if it would work or not or if anyone has tried it. The bike tire is a 130/80- 17 and the car tire I found similar in size is the Coker Excelsior 450-17 bias ply. The bike is mainly street use and some gravel.

not really familiar with Coker tires but I always thought they were antique car type tires, bias, tube type, and not necessarily the high milage radials that darksiders are running, and may not be a cost saver as they run as much as bike tires or more

that said, I'm running a 205/50-17 on my 4" V-strom rear wheel Shocked clears my chain by about 1/8",

I can lean till I'm scraping hardware and the sidewalls flex. No, ya don't get up on the sidewalls when leaning
coldweatherfreak
coldweatherfreak

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  vwh2o Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:42 pm

Breaking over on the side wall was what I was kind of worried about with that narrow of a tire, since I tend to lay it in the turns pretty hard sometimes. Looks like I should just stick to bike tires on it. My Rune drags the pegs way before the tire gets on the side wall but the KLR lays over a lot further in the turns before it drags.

vwh2o

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:06 pm

That's exactly why the Darkside is favored by cruisers. There needs to be some weight (I assume) to flex the tire. Going waaaay down in pressure
on a small bike may inherit some negative handling issues.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum