Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going Darkside

+2
Doc
vtx biker chick
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Going Darkside Empty Going Darkside

Post  vtx biker chick Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:47 pm

OK...I've decided I'm going to go darkside now. affraid I'm tired of buying a new rear tire every year+. I found the sealer for my spoke wheel....(5200 Marine adhesive/sealant) any recommendations for a brand or size of tire??? My '04 1300R/S has a rear tire that's 170/80/15. I looked here in the 'Darkside' forum & there were several different ones listed with quite a variation in the tire sizes. Does any one else have a 1300R/S that they've darksided......WITH the standard rim??? Or does everyone that goes to the Darkside change their rim too??? Just curious! My rear rim is only 3 1/2 inches wide...right??? I stopped at Belle Tire (happened to get lucky & get a guy that rides dirt bikes), so... he spent quite a while researching the exact measurements of the OEM tire from dunlop & said that I need a 165/80 15 tire....does this sound right???? hmmm Most of the tires listed & talked about here are 205/55 or 205/65. I would appreciate any help or advice I can get! Thanks! yes
vtx biker chick
vtx biker chick

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

Going Darkside Empty Re: Going Darkside

Post  Doc Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:36 pm

Welcome Welcome

The 165/80/15 is the old VW tire size that Bobby first used on a 1300. Yes it is close to the stock size Dunlop. I believe that size is kind of hard to find now days.
Most of us with 1300 VTXs are using a 195/70/15 or a 205/70/15. these sizes will fit and both work well. My sig picture and avatar are of my Michelin HydroEdge 205/70/15 on my 1300 VTX C.
They advantage is the taller tires (195/70/15 or a 205/70/15) will correct the speedometer error on the VTX to some extent and will lower your rpm a bit at highway speeds. Though I don't think anybody has documented any improvement in mpg. The downside is that it does make the bike sit about a 1/2 inch or so higher. If you have trouble standing flat footed now then a 65 series tire (205/65/15) which is closer to the stock size tire might be a better choice for you. The downside is some have found that the shorter sidewall is more difficult to mount and to seat.
There is a great write up Wayne did on sealing rims here. https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/t68-sealing-rims
If you don't want to do this you can still use a new motorcycle tube with a car tire. No car tubes though, the valve stem is in the wrong position. I recommend Dynabeads for balancing. http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php
Check out these links and come back with more questions, we are happy to help. Vader
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  vtx biker chick Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks! You've been a BIG help! I will try to get this sorted out tomorrow! One more ? where do I get the tire mounted??? will a MC place mount a car tire on my rim??? cuz the CT place won't mount on a MC rim!
vtx biker chick
vtx biker chick

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:42 am

vtx biker chick wrote:Thanks! You've been a BIG help! I will try to get this sorted out tomorrow! One more ? where do I get the tire mounted??? will a MC place mount a car tire on my rim??? cuz the CT place won't mount on a MC rim!

Congrats on your choice to go darkside. You will love the 165/80/15 if you can find one. Great tire! The 205/65 or 70 is a great tire size also. The 165 fits on the narrow rim easier than most, but my 1300C has the same with rim but a mag rim.

I have had car tire place do mine lately, just take the tire off and tell them it's going on a side car and they should mount it for you. Shhhhhhhh, don't take this the wrong way..but people here have been stealing their wives/significant others KY and using it to seat the bead. LOL

Good luck and let us know how it comes out?

.......................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:52 am

Try some of the smaller independent shops, they usually appreciate the business.
I took my wheel in to a local Mom & Pop type tire and muffler place. The guy there mounted it for $8. thumbup
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Going Darkside Empty Got it!!!

Post  vtx biker chick Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:35 pm

I DID it!!!! I ordered my Darkside CT. Very Happy Have a Michelin Hydroedge 205/70 15 coming in! I will get it Sat. am. Still trying to decide about sealing the rim...I bought the 5200, just have to go read how to do that! Hopefully I will be good to go early next week! Will keep you all posted on how it goes! Really want to THANK everyone for their input!!! Thanks for helpin' a girl out!!! budhug
vtx biker chick
vtx biker chick

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:34 pm

Congrats, I of course followed Wayne's write up and photos, but can't ever remember where to find it. Here is a link to my local forum from when I sealed my spokes. It is just a copy of Wayne's just scroll through some of the bs and about 1/2 to 3/4 way down first page it begins. I added photos along the way and I sealed each nipple on my spoke rim first them after that dried i put a full coat all the way around. I used a kurvey girl 90 degree valve stem i bought on ebay and 3 oz of dyna beads in the rear. I have had zero leaks and love my darkside tire. The 1800 S also has a 15" rim and i used the 205/65-15 GYTT.

http://www.lakestockton.com/read.php?75,85210

Good luck and post pics after you get it done!
Beermand
Beermand

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

Going Darkside Empty Dyna beads??

Post  vtx biker chick Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:20 pm

So, I'll admit it! I dunno!! What's the Dyna Beads & what do they do????
vtx biker chick
vtx biker chick

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:35 pm

They are little ceramic beads that go inside your tire and balance it without the wheel weights normally put in.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm

Watch this video to help you understand.

https://youtu.be/eq263AYgyYg
Beermand
Beermand

Back to top Go down

Going Darkside Empty Dyna beads!

Post  vtx biker chick Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:59 pm

OK! Gotta have these...can you get them @ MC Dealers, or just on-line?!? How do you know how many ounces to put in the tire???? OOps! Went to innovative & found where they tell you how much you need, but can you just pick these up somewhere, or do I have to order on-line?
vtx biker chick
vtx biker chick

Back to top Go down

Going Darkside Empty Good info & pics

Post  vtx biker chick Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:04 pm

Thanks for this info on sealing rims!

I read it all & think I CAN Do IT!!!! Great pics!!!!
vtx biker chick
vtx biker chick

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:29 pm

I found them at a local independent bike shop still lots of bigger name brand dealers try to scare you away from them. You can also search for them in google and order online. Lots of guys using other things like bb's and plastic air soft pellets, I chose to stick with the proven technology until everybody proves out the other stuff. Took me 2 years of watching this site and others and studying and deciding to get up the nerve to go Darkside, now I will never go back!
Beermand
Beermand

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:35 pm

This is the best deal I found for front and rear.
They'll ship USPS 1st class for about $4, It's a 6 oz pack but a little extra doesn't hurt.

http://www.modeltford.com/item/DYNABEAD-1.aspx
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Going Darkside Empty using my tube

Post  vtx biker chick Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:41 pm

Hey ...... I got my tire...Holy Sh*t it looks BIG!!!! Any way, since this is the middle of the riding season, & (I don't want to rush the sealing of the rim)......I decided to just use the tube in the CT. I have a guy who will take the tire off for only $4.00. So I thought I'd work on the rim in the off season & do it right! My question is, Can I use the tube from my OEM Dunlop or do I need a BIGGER tube cuz the new CT is so much bigger???? I keep looking at my Hydroedge & the back fender of the 1300R....sure is hard to believe it's gonna fit! But, I've seen the pics you guys posted & you gotta be right! I was hoping to get it mounted tomorrow...Tues. at the latest, but I need to know about the tube. I have the dyna beads...they say you can put them IN the tube. What's your opinion??? Thanks.
vtx biker chick
vtx biker chick

Back to top Go down

Post  exlax Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:44 pm

vtx biker chick wrote:Hey ...... I got my tire...Holy Sh*t it looks BIG!!!! Any way, since this is the middle of the riding season, & (I don't want to rush the sealing of the rim)......I decided to just use the tube in the CT. I have a guy who will take the tire off for only $4.00. So I thought I'd work on the rim in the off season & do it right! My question is, Can I use the tube from my OEM Dunlop or do I need a BIGGER tube cuz the new CT is so much bigger???? I keep looking at my Hydroedge & the back fender of the 1300R....sure is hard to believe it's gonna fit! But, I've seen the pics you guys posted & you gotta be right! I was hoping to get it mounted tomorrow...Tues. at the latest, but I need to know about the tube. I have the dyna beads...they say you can put them IN the tube. What's your opinion??? Thanks.

I will be using a tube in my S rim, and from what ive read and been told here, the stock sized motorcycle tire tube is what you use in the car tire. Im using the same tire as you, getting it mounted tuseday morning.
exlax
exlax

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2011-08-06

Back to top Go down

Going Darkside Empty tube

Post  vtx biker chick Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:01 pm

It just doesn't seem like the MT tube will fill up the CT...I'm having a hard time seeing how it will work! I know they say it will, but....please keep me posted as to how it turns out for you! I have a 1300R/S. What bike do you have??
vtx biker chick
vtx biker chick

Back to top Go down

Post  exlax Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:07 pm

vtx biker chick wrote:It just doesn't seem like the MT tube will fill up the CT...I'm having a hard time seeing how it will work! I know they say it will, but....please keep me posted as to how it turns out for you! I have a 1300R/S. What bike do you have??

an 05 1300 S, so im in the same boat with the spokes as you are. Apparently the tube expands to fill the car tire based on what ive been told. The shop that is mounting the tire told me the same thing, and said it would not be a problem. The big bonus im seeing, is that with a sealed rim, you have to be careful about greasing the rim up too much to help seat the bead, because all that goo can clump up the dynabeads. With a tube, you can grease the hell out of the rim to seat the bead, and it wont affect the beads since they go inside the tube. The downside is, if you were to get a nail in the tub, you cant plug it, but the same applies to a tube in a motorcycle tire. Im going with the hydroedge 205 70 15, picking the tire up tomorrow, having it mounted tuesday morning, ill be reporting back with the results once im going down the road.

On a side note, i got restless earlier today and painted my motor black and polished the fins, so the bike should be looking good once i get it on the road with the michelin. Very Happy
exlax
exlax

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:31 pm

It is a personal choice decision but I would get a new tube. I don't reuse the tube from a tire that has 14,000 miles or so on it. Not worth the risk I like new tire add new tube. I also don't blame you, I would wait and seal the rim in the winter while the bike isn't being ridden. If you get the fast cure 5200 you wouldn't be down that long also. I made the mistake and got the blue 5200 which required 7 days to fully cure. Good luck to both of you hope you guys enjoy the darkside!
Beermand
Beermand

Back to top Go down

Post  exlax Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:11 pm

was the shop able to get your tire on with the tube this evening? They caught hell putting mine on, what a fiasco.
exlax
exlax

Back to top Go down

Post  vtx biker chick Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:49 am

exlax wrote:was the shop able to get your tire on with the tube this evening? They caught hell putting mine on, what a fiasco.

Nope! The guy gave up...said he would NEVER go above 50# with a tube! I'm going to try 2 other places today, if not, I'm not sure what to do! Any one in MI have any ideas as to where to take it??? I may have to put my old tire back on until I can seal the rim & try it again! Supposed to go on wknd ride this wknd...was hoping to be Darkside for it! Running out of options! Of course, I'm up in MI...we HAD hot weather...now cooling off to mid 70's....don't think that's hot enough to warm the tire enough to make it pop!?!? Crying or Very sad
vtx biker chick
vtx biker chick

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:54 am

vtx biker chick wrote:
exlax wrote:was the shop able to get your tire on with the tube this evening? They caught hell putting mine on, what a fiasco.

Nope! The guy gave up...said he would NEVER go above 50# with a tube! I'm going to try 2 other places today, if not, I'm not sure what to do! Any one in MI have any ideas as to where to take it??? I may have to put my old tire back on until I can seal the rim & try it again! Supposed to go on wknd ride this wknd...was hoping to be Darkside for it! Running out of options! Of course, I'm up in MI...we HAD hot weather...now cooling off to mid 70's....don't think that's hot enough to warm the tire enough to make it pop!?!? Crying or Very sad

Sorry girl......sometimes it just takes finding the right person who likes to help someone to get it done! I wish you were closer...we would get it on for you! But I feel your pain.

.....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  exlax Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:29 am

the sun hitting the tire is what heats it up, so air temp isnt as important, as long as its a nice sunny day, the sun will get it pretty hot. Regardless of whether you set it in the sun or not, id be will to bet money that its not gonna pop on with less than 100 psi. First things first, you have to find someone who is willing to put the air to it to seat it. Once you have found someone, then you can either try again with the tube, id probably air up to 100 psi and set it in the sun, if it doesnt pop on after 30-45 minutes, start upping the pressure more, or you can get ahead and seal it. If you seal it, then when you go to get it muonted, they can just fill till the bead pops, dont have to worry about popping the tube. Like i said before, it took the original tube, and2 brand new tubes to get mine seated, I will be sealing it before the next tire goes on.
exlax
exlax

Back to top Go down

Going Darkside Empty Keep your fingers crossed!

Post  vtx biker chick Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:14 pm

Keep your fingers crossed! I found a Rogue guy that is willing to give it a good try. He called my tire a 'REAL FIGHTER'!! I called it a B$tch!!! He almost had it today...he says it's soooo close! The guy works at Knuckle Buster Custom Cycle shop/car repair shop. He says that quad tires are the worst...so, he thinks he can make this one 'POP'! I hope so. I told him all your suggestions & he's willing to give it his best effort. Just what I needed...someone up to the CHALLENGE! Don't think he's ever had a tire he couldn't get to bead in 16+ years! So, keep your fingers crossed. Otherwise I will have to drive 90 miles to a place that has done a couple of buds tires in Detroit.....just didn't want to do that. I've thought about buying a mag wheel & just forgetting about the spokes.....But....don't have the $$$ for that! Checked into a narrower tire...Michelin Hydroedge does come in a 95/15 But it's a 60 (95/60 R15). So I assume proportionately I'd have a similar problem...not as wide, but not as tall either. So, KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED for this to work!
vtx biker chick
vtx biker chick

Back to top Go down

Post  exlax Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:20 pm

vtx biker chick wrote:Keep your fingers crossed! I found a Rogue guy that is willing to give it a good try. He called my tire a 'REAL FIGHTER'!! I called it a B$tch!!! He almost had it today...he says it's soooo close! The guy works at Knuckle Buster Custom Cycle shop/car repair shop. He says that quad tires are the worst...so, he thinks he can make this one 'POP'! I hope so. I told him all your suggestions & he's willing to give it his best effort. Just what I needed...someone up to the CHALLENGE! Don't think he's ever had a tire he couldn't get to bead in 16+ years! So, keep your fingers crossed. Otherwise I will have to drive 90 miles to a place that has done a couple of buds tires in Detroit.....just didn't want to do that. I've thought about buying a mag wheel & just forgetting about the spokes.....But....don't have the $$$ for that! Checked into a narrower tire...Michelin Hydroedge does come in a 95/15 But it's a 60 (95/60 R15). So I assume proportionately I'd have a similar problem...not as wide, but not as tall either. So, KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED for this to work!

The width of the tire wont make a difference. its so hard to seat the bead because of the diameter of the bead, just a tighter fit than the bead on a MT. If he pops your tube when hes trying to get the tire to pop, a slightly larger tube may work better, its worth a shot. Keep at it and youll get it. Be careful for the first few miles once its on the bike, definitely much slicker than once its broken in. Mine seemed to improve dramatically after a heat cycle, so drive it home easy, let it cool down, then get back out on it and start easing it into corners. 10-15 miles like that and mine was hooking up nicely and ready for the turns.

[edit] oh, and just for reference, i settled on 38 psi today, seems to have the best grip in the corners, and smoothest ride in the straights, at 38. Your experience may vary.
exlax
exlax

Back to top Go down

Going Darkside Empty Thanks

Post  vtx biker chick Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Thanks for ALL the positive posts! I will get it done! The guy had it up to 120 PSI several times...says it's ALMOST there...said he'll keep trying tomorrow! He had it in the sun for most of the afternoon...maybe tomorrow will be MY day!!!
vtx biker chick
vtx biker chick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum