Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  Tshirtmeister on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi Guys i just swiched to a CT after having a rear blowout on my 05 VTX1800N and the tire caught the rear fender bending the front corner of the fender in towards the tire 90 degrees locking up the rear tire at 60mph. It broke free a couple times and i was able to straighten the bike out untill it finally locked up for good at about 30 mph sending us into the oncoming lane(thank god no traffic) sliding off the left side of the road into the ditch. My girlfriend suffered a broken hand and bruises, I just ot a few bruises. The bike only had 4800mi. The tire failed after a puncture and we were in big trouble. So Im goin to say the stock D251Fs SUCK and arent very safe so i put on a Dunlop Winter sport run flat 175/60R/16. It has to be safer in the event of a flat. It does ride different. I have 34psi in it. What can i expect as im still reelin from the crash. Will the bike come out from under us in corners? Ive rode about 300 miles so far so good. Just lookin for some advice. Thanks Paul

Tshirtmeister

Number of posts : 57
Age : 60
Location : Citrus Heights CA
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.a1colrs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  jedishon on Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:10 pm

I locked the rear up in the rain once. Tire slid out to the right, When I started scraping the floorboard I got off the brake and hit the gas. I was truely amazed at how fast the tire got behind me and straightened out. You will not be disappointed in any emergency situation. IMHO

Jerry
avatar
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Age : 67
Location : Rogersville, Al
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

RE SWITCHED TO THE DARKSIDE,WHAT CAN I EXPECT?

Post  Larry Simpson on Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:16 pm

You can expect better traction in all conditions,(rain ect.) .Will hold a lot better in curves,easier to manuver at slow speeds a lot better braking traction,a lot more miles per tire and a lot softer ride.For my money you are running about the right tire pressure for all of the above.relax and enjoy.Oh yes and welcome to the darkside. thumbup thumbup
avatar
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Age : 67
Location : Okmulgee,Ok
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  giturgun on Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:29 pm

Put the same tire on my 1500 1988 GL 1500 I will never go back . I step to the front not back.
Seriously I have about 15 to 1700 miles on it and most are on Very twisty roads. I rode the Blue ridge parkway 2 weeks ago from Maggie valley to Asheville exit. In the rain no doubt. Have rode most of the White snake on it , Many Va roads and Tn. all grades of riding from just paved 2 weeks ago I 81 between Knoxvill Tn to Old 58 ( the crooked road ) in Va. U will love the tire I gurantee it I does.

I don't ride like the old man I am either
avatar
giturgun

Number of posts : 76
Age : 60
Location : Kingsport Tn
Registration date : 2011-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  Tshirtmeister on Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:39 pm

Thanks for the info. I was freakin out at 20-25 mph just felt funny stopped to see if i had air and it was fine. Just worried the back tire will slide in the turns. Just lookin for info about the ride charistics. Thanks Paul

Tshirtmeister

Number of posts : 57
Age : 60
Location : Citrus Heights CA
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.a1colrs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  giturgun on Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:23 pm

I run 41 single and tried max for 2 up I also run less air on the suspension with the Dunlop
avatar
giturgun

Number of posts : 76
Age : 60
Location : Kingsport Tn
Registration date : 2011-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  CaribCruiser on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:59 pm

Welcome and congrats,

Larry Simpson wrote:You can expect better traction in all conditions,(rain ect.) .Will hold a lot better in curves,easier to manuver at slow speeds a lot better braking traction,a lot more miles per tire and a lot softer ride.For my money you are running about the right tire pressure for all of the above.relax and enjoy.Oh yes and welcome to the darkside. thumbup thumbup
plus1
Give it some time and play with the pressure to find the sweet spot. Give yourself some time as well getting rid of the reelin after the crash. Pretty nasty experience but a good thing you both came off pretty good.
And, no, the bike will not come out from under you in corners.
avatar
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 672
Age : 56
Location : Curacao, Dutch Caribbean
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  twin1300 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:06 am

Do this...at 25 mph, try to stop and see how good your traction is. You aren't slipping that car tire. Trust me...even if you don't have a wreck or near wreck.....it's all mental! And that my friends is not easy to get over. It takes just riding it and and learning to trust it.


Good luck.......................bobby

_________________
In Christ Service..............bobby

aka....Senior Vader...(giving to me by my friends) Vader

http://www.hickmachine.com/ I got the CTR and love it!

VTXDS # 5
avatar
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Age : 57
Location : Denham Springs, La.
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  quadancer on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:43 am

It sounds like you need to read more of the DS forums. Read Read Read...your fears will dissipate. Soon you will find that it is the BIKE tires that worry you, not the CT's.
Advice: you CAN lock up a CT, but it's much harder, especially at slower speeds. Learn brake and swerve maneuvers and practice them so you don't wind up doing the one thing everybody does in a panic that takes them down: locking the rear. Learn to prioritize the front brake, except in loose dirt, gravel and such.
avatar
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Age : 64
Location : Acworth, Ga.
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  Tshirtmeister on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:19 am

Thanks for all the support. I dont think the runflat will ever bend my fender and lock the rear tire if it goes flat. When the MT tire blew i didnt use the rear brake the tire caught the fender bent it in towards the tire and locked up the wheel . So i wont use the crummy MT ever again if i can get used to the CT. I just ordered a Tire Pressure Monitoring System so i will see my tire pressures and get a warning if the run flat Loses air. I think this will help ease my fears also. Had the bike out twice so im ridin after the crash. Just spooked by slidin down the road. But im shakin off the dust andf ridin again. Thanks

Tshirtmeister

Number of posts : 57
Age : 60
Location : Citrus Heights CA
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.a1colrs.com

Back to top Go down

RE SWITCHED TO THE DARKSIDE,WHAT CAN I EXPECT?

Post  Larry Simpson on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:30 am

I have had rear tires blow in years past and never had one lock up completely like you did.I think what you had happen was a freak that happens very,very rarely so try not to dwell on it ,it is not the norm. thumbup thumbup
avatar
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Age : 67
Location : Okmulgee,Ok
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  quadancer on Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:28 pm

Had a front go flat on the Big Road once...barely noticed it until it was time to slow down. I'd kept her (my old Triumph) at about 65 to the next exit on the flat, but when it was exit time...under 50 it got squirrely and under maybe 35-40 I had to really get on the rear brake to end this floppy wallowing it did.
Scared the pee outta me! affraid
avatar
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Age : 64
Location : Acworth, Ga.
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  Guest on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 am

Great bike and tire. I had a 1800N with a GYTT 205-60-16 when I had a rear blow out on it. The tire went flat in about a minute but tracked pretty straight till I could stop it. Sometimes I really miss the N, but I was trying too hard to make a wing out of it.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  ltrmc02 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:49 am

psalmist wrote:Great bike and tire. I had a 1800N with a GYTT 205-60-16 when I had a rear blow out on it. The tire went flat in about a minute but tracked pretty straight till I could stop it. Sometimes I really miss the N, but I was trying too hard to make a wing out of it.
What did you determine caused your blow out with the GYTT?

ltrmc02

Number of posts : 33
Location : NC
Registration date : 2011-06-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  Orygunner on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:30 am

Tshirtmeister wrote:Thanks for the info. I was freakin out at 20-25 mph just felt funny stopped to see if i had air and it was fine. Just worried the back tire will slide in the turns. Just lookin for info about the ride charistics. Thanks Paul

Tshirtmeister, I'd recommend taking an Intermediate Rider Training class with your car tire, it's a great refresher of your skills, plus it will give you a safe environment to learn how it handles at low to intermediate speeds.

...Orygunner...

Orygunner

Number of posts : 11
Location : Springfield, OR
Registration date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  Doc on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:34 am

Welcome to the board Tshirtmeister Welcome
Was it the front edge of the fender or the rear edge below the license plate that folded up?
I can see how a tire could make the rear do that, but I don't understand how the tire could make the front edge do that. scratch

Did the tire come apart?

_________________

2012 Goldwing Candy Red
Michelin Alpin PA3 195/55/16   The Darkside... Ain't nothin' but a rubber thang...  Vader
avatar
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Age : 63
Location : Tahlequah it's in NE Oklahoma.
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  Tshirtmeister on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:42 am

It was the front edge corner bent in about 4 inches worth at 90 degrees sticking into the tire locking up the wheel. I guess the tire wobbling caught the front corner. Scarey like a MOFO. My girlfriend is saying OH CRAP. I was doing everything i could to keep the bike goin straight but went down at about 25mph. Now you see why i went to a run flat. Just gotta get used to it. I found a nail hole in it. but it wasnt shredded. Came off the rim and caught the fender[img][/img]

Tshirtmeister

Number of posts : 57
Age : 60
Location : Citrus Heights CA
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.a1colrs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  Guest on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:10 am

ltrmc02 wrote:
psalmist wrote:Great bike and tire. I had a 1800N with a GYTT 205-60-16 when I had a rear blow out on it. The tire went flat in about a minute but tracked pretty straight till I could stop it. Sometimes I really miss the N, but I was trying too hard to make a wing out of it.
What did you determine caused your blow out with the GYTT?


I think it was just a silly nail. The neo handled great till the last 10 mph. Awesome ride. I just didn't like the ticking of the valves after 8,000 miles.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  maurice on Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:40 pm

Tshirtmeister wrote:Hi Guys i just swiched to a CT after having a rear blowout on my 05 VTX1800N and the tire caught the rear fender bending the front corner of the fender in towards the tire 90 degrees locking up the rear tire at 60mph. It broke free a couple times and i was able to straighten the bike out untill it finally locked up for good at about 30 mph sending us into the oncoming lane(thank god no traffic) sliding off the left side of the road into the ditch. My girlfriend suffered a broken hand and bruises, I just ot a few bruises. The bike only had 4800mi. The tire failed after a puncture and we were in big trouble. So Im goin to say the stock D251Fs SUCK and arent very safe so i put on a Dunlop Winter sport run flat 175/60R/16. It has to be safer in the event of a flat. It does ride different. I have 34psi in it. What can i expect as im still reelin from the crash. Will the bike come out from under us in corners? Ive rode about 300 miles so far so good. Just lookin for some advice. Thanks Paul

What can you expect? other bikers shaking their heads in pity for you.

maurice
avatar
maurice

Number of posts : 172
Age : 64
Location : Jacksonville Florida
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  metricman on Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:17 pm

Not sure about you, but i noticed I counter steer more with the car tire but whatever it is, it has become second nature to me. no problem riding the dragons tail 318 curves in 11 miles. I am just glad to hear that you have got back up on that horse. you will gain trust in every mile.

metricman

Number of posts : 3
Location : athens ga
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  coldweatherfreak on Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:49 pm

metricman wrote:Not sure about you, but i noticed I counter steer more with the car tire but whatever it is, it has become second nature to me. no problem riding the dragons tail 318 curves in 11 miles. I am just glad to hear that you have got back up on that horse. you will gain trust in every mile.

at first, I had quite a bit more countersteer effort starting at 45psi in a General Altimax Artic 205/50-17 on my V-Strom 1000

as I began experimenting with pressure, the effort became less, at 32psi I was very satisfied but I tried it at 25psi and can't even tell I have a car tire except at very low speed

what's the most noticable affect? the heckling ya get from naysayers

for me, going darkside was only a winter experiment however I was pleasantly surprised, the CT gave me the abilities to ride in conditions way beyond my expectations,

looks like a good day to go riding, there won't be much traffic

ya only have to shovel a narrow path for a bike Smile




avatar
coldweatherfreak

Number of posts : 155
Age : 64
Location : NH
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Snow Riding

Post  Tshirtmeister on Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:36 pm

Wow now thats some crazy S**t. Do you actually Ride in the snow? But after 2k miles . I love the dunlop winter sport run flat. I also installed a TPMS so now im good to Ride. Paul

Tshirtmeister

Number of posts : 57
Age : 60
Location : Citrus Heights CA
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.a1colrs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  twin1300 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:41 pm

bow I'm un-worthy sir!!!



....................bobby

_________________
In Christ Service..............bobby

aka....Senior Vader...(giving to me by my friends) Vader

http://www.hickmachine.com/ I got the CTR and love it!

VTXDS # 5
avatar
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Age : 57
Location : Denham Springs, La.
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Snow Riding

Post  Tshirtmeister on Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:05 pm

Now This guy is A DARK SIDE COMMANDER!!!!!!! I have a winter sport RF on and im not goin in the snow or rain. But i did have to cross a snow laden patch of road once and now it will be much easier with a winter sport tire. I did it with a bike tire and that was a chore. I was only on a 750 shadow wouldnt want to do that with the VTX1800 to heavy.

Great job
The Tshirtmeister

Tshirtmeister

Number of posts : 57
Age : 60
Location : Citrus Heights CA
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.a1colrs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  BIG DENNY on Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:07 pm

I have 1800N and just went to the dark side and i love it. My only queston is what air pressure do i run in it right now i have 50lbs. sorry its a GE205/60/17 Thanks Big Denny hmmm hmmm

BIG DENNY

Number of posts : 3
Age : 72
Location : Aurora Co.
Registration date : 2011-02-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Switched to the Darkside , What can i expect??

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum