Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glass Beads for balancing

+10
ranger351w
quadancer
2wheeladdict
bubbaq
eidolon
Doc
jedishon
twin1300
Larry Simpson
Bluedog 50 PanShovel
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Glass Beads for balancing Empty Glass Beads for balancing

Post  Bluedog 50 PanShovel Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:12 pm

I was thinking about trying glass beads for balancing! The kind you string up on a string and make a neckless out of. I have seen BB's mentioned, but don't remember anything about glass beads. I want to do a 21" tire with a tube. Thought about these, Walmart has some that looks like they will go through tube stem. Not perfectly round. Cut an old tube open looks like about 3/16". Can get 1.4 oz. for $1.50, Dyna Beads where I looked 1oz. $3.70 -- But shipping was $8.30 USPS. The cheapest!! Any oppinions, do you think they will hold up? Or turn to dust. Also my wheel has (2) 20 gram spoke weights on it. 1 1/2 oz. is that right ? Would 1oz. beads be enough or should I use 1 1/2 oz. I have not jacked it up & spun tire to see if weights go to bottom. (DUNLOP Tire) I have a 195 65 15 CT on back with 3oz.(.12g) softair beads in it, works great. Got the infromation off this site. THANKS !!

Bluedog 50 PanShovel

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-03-27

Back to top Go down

Glass Beads for balancing Empty re glass beads for balancing

Post  Larry Simpson Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:00 am

I think the glass beads are a bad ideal,I believe they would break to some extent and would proubably eat up your tube SignOops
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Glass Beads for balancing Empty Re: Glass Beads for balancing

Post  twin1300 Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:16 am

Air soft pellets from Walmart. Cheap and work great. The only caveat to the air soft pellets is you have to put them in before the tire is seated.

......................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:06 am

You should use 2 oz. in the front tire according to the dyna beads web site. I agree about the glass beads breaking up.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:27 am

I'd be real concerned about the glass degrading into dust.
I'm not even sold that the airsoft beads are as durable as the ceramic Dynabeads. hmmm
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluedog 50 PanShovel Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:15 am

This is a 21" tire with a tube no way to get airsoft pellets in. I read somewhere that you could not seal 21" rims don't know. Didn't want to tear it down and try! Dyna beads web site says from 80 - 120 mm tire use 1oz. & this is a 90/90/21. I've seen old inner tubes & rubber used in a steel shot blast machine that last where steel just wears through. Shot must just bounce off, also rubber templates are used for blasting granite engravings. JUST THINKING OUT LOUD!! Looks like anything dry like sand or blasting glass beads etc. that would FLOW would work. Might be kind of touchy getting them through that small hole in the bottom of tube stem. The inside of a tube is really smooth & slick. ALWAYS THINKING!! --- ONE PROBLEM AT A TIME!! Bluedog!!

Comments Always Appreciated!! Negative or Positive!!

Bluedog 50 PanShovel

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Simpson Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:33 pm

While you are thinking,shouldn't you make comparisons on things that are as dangerous as loosing a front tire if you can think of any. Shrug
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Back to top Go down

Post  eidolon Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:34 pm

Larry Simpson wrote:While you are thinking,shouldn't you make comparisons on things that are as dangerous as loosing a front tire if you can think of any. Shrug
Applying a condom with a guillotine?
eidolon
eidolon

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-04-11

Back to top Go down

Glass Beads for balancing Empty Re: Glass Beads for tire balancing

Post  Bluedog 50 PanShovel Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:46 pm

Glass beads were the 1st balancing beads used. I read the sizes most used are .005" to.025". Glass 1st, steel 2nd, ceramic beads 3rd. No doubt ceramic is the best. Steel rusts & clumps but will break up, takes more volume with glass, ceramic takes less (they are denser & heavier) made out of clay. Glass balancing beads are patented. ( Very good durability leads to little deterioration into dust reduces possibility of valve core clogging) quote from - Tire balancing using glass beads by Roger LeBlanc - There are several listing for this subject on internet. Do some research before saying things like that!

Bluedog 50 PanShovel

Back to top Go down

Glass Beads for balancing Empty re glass beads for balancing tires

Post  Larry Simpson Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:59 pm

As I have stated many times before people can put anything in print ,especially when they are trying to sell a product.I will stand behind common sense that tells me that glass breaks and will cut rubber. Just my opinion and remember you are the one that asked for input sorry if it wasn't what you wanted. hmmm
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Back to top Go down

Post  bubbaq Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:57 am

I'm pretty sure the glass is not a great Idea. The Dyna beads work well and are worth the price. Look to see if there is a dealer near you that you can buy them from direct. I found a little chopper mechanic not far from me that has them. So I avoided shipping.

bubbaq

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheeladdict Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:54 am

Hey there Bluedog. Try goin to some tire shops and see what they have. Big O tires here where I live have another form of balancing beads. I can't remember what the brand name is right off hand, but my buddy is usin them and they work just as well as dyna beads. They came in a six ounce bag. We just broke out the reloading scale and measured out two ounces. The funny thing is that they appear to be made of glass. I agree with you that the inner tube is a lot stronger than people would think. When it comes to abrasive materials, rubber will outlast metals. That's why ball mills that break up mined ore are lined with rubber. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

2wheeladdict

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Simpson Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:42 am

What you guys are missing here,He is not talking about using glass beads that are designed for use in balancing tires,He is talking about using glass beads from a childs necklass.The abrasion factor excerted against the center (one area over and over with every revolution of the tire) of his tube by centrificul force which increases with speed is totally different than any usage for rubber that you are referencing.Could prove to be deadly just to save a little money.I am not trying to argue with anybody,I am trying to maby save him from himself.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:08 pm

If I'd known better back when I bought beads, I'd have gone to RideOn instead, although I can't say for certain wether or not it balances as well as the dynabeads, which work great. Those who use it keep on doing so though, and also have that flat protection. A bike is no fun on the side of the road.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluedog 50 PanShovel Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:46 am

Have decided not to use glass beads ( neckless beads). I think their proper name is seed beads. If they had been solid, do you think that would have been alwright ? All opinions were on the negative side, so I think it was not so good of a idea! But with out ideas & opinions where would we be. Still running Motorcycle Tires: You Think ??

THANKS ! Bluedog

Bluedog 50 PanShovel

Back to top Go down

Glass Beads for balancing Empty re glassbeads for balancing

Post  Larry Simpson Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:44 pm

The hole in the beads proubably would make them weaker but that was not my real concern.I believe the glass beads designed for use as balancing beads would have a different composition and would have been fired at a much higher temperature making them more durable.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluedog 50 PanShovel Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Read on "Counteract Balancing Beads" web site that their glass beads are made from recycled tempered glass.

Bluedog 50 PanShovel

Back to top Go down

Post  ranger351w Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:29 am

2cents I put Dyna beads in my rear and front tire and had around 4000 miles on them when I changed my rear and replaced it with a car tire. There was 0 sign of any damage when I took them out of the old tire and put them in the new ct. still running the same front tire.

As an experiment I put the road king on my stand and run the tire up to 75mph pulled the clutch and killed the engine. The beads worked so well that touching the rear crash bar and fender you would not have even know there was a tire moving. I am impressed. thumbup thumbup

ranger351w

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2011-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:58 pm

Good idea. You know, I'd done the same thing for a different reason, but didn't even think about the tire. There was no vibration, or I'd have had an issue with it.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  grumpybutt Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:11 am

Can't beleive some one will put there life up "for sale" in order to save a couple of dollors, kids necless beads ? you gotta be kidden me. Just my .02

grumpybutt

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Glass Beads for balancing Empty glass beads

Post  lj birdman Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:49 am

other riders already think hmmm we aint all there for running a car tire Shocked . and i love mine and wont go back. but i dont think i would put something in my tire if it doesnt belong.its hard enuff dealing with cus cagers cus i dont wanna worry about my tires for e few dollars.ride safe thumbup
lj birdman
lj birdman

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  ranger351w Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:07 am

Dyna beads thumbup Only way to fly yeah
Best thing since canned beer and sliced bread bow

ranger351w

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:33 am

ranger351w wrote: Dyna beads thumbup Only way to fly yeah
Best thing since canned beer and sliced bread bow

I worry about these comparisons. Canned beer is very poor compared with keg beer, and if you've never tasted good fresh bread from the oven, you might even think the stale 'sliced' bread from the store is ok. Very Happy

Still, taking 10 minutes or so to actually balance my tires is well worth it compared with any other method.
Fly
Fly
crazy person

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-12-24

http://vulcanriders.us/forum

Back to top Go down

Post  ranger351w Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:57 am

Touche, However I balance my tires every time I get over 30 or so mph. Wheel weights are only good untill the tire wears a little then they need to be rebalanced then there is the chance they will fall off. Dyna beads or the equivilant rebalance every time you take off be it a stop sign or starting out from home. I stay with that product and there is no internal wear to the inner liner. Can't tell I like them huh?

ranger351w

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:49 am

Glad we can approach this as not being a life-changing issue as some do. Personal preference and maybe some day I can find answers to the questions I have about beads. But for now, I can't.
Fly
Fly
crazy person

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-12-24

http://vulcanriders.us/forum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next