newbee to dark side

View previous topic View next topic Go down

newbee to dark side

Post  Guest on Fri May 20, 2011 12:18 pm

[i] Ok I have had it with mc tires! What is the best tire to put on my 2002 1800 VTX S modle it has a 15 inch rear wheel I cant believe how fast these tires wore out I almost think there is something wrong with this bike! I have only put approx. 4000 miles when i bought this bike the tires looked almost new and now they are wearing out the front tire is wearing out more on the left side than the right side and it is getting flat spots on it,So enough ranting. Does anyone know what the best tires are to buy and where to get them I have a 15 on the rear and a 17 on the front I want to go dark side for the rear and wish I could go dark side on the front I mostly drive highway miles but plan to start taking trips down the curvy back roads and I want to buy the longest wearing tires I can find so HELP also about the balance chrystals I keep hearing about what are they called where do I get them and what is the best way to install them. I am going to try to mount these tires myself thanks for any advice

Back to top Go down

Re: newbee to dark side

Post  Doc on Fri May 20, 2011 12:42 pm

Welcome Welcome to the Darkside Red!!!

I'd suggest a 205/70/15 tire for your bike. That is the same size used on the VTX1300, I have run a General Grabber UHP and now a Michelin HydroEdge, others like the Goodyear Triple Tred in a 65 series, a Douglas tire from WalMart is popular too.
I have had satisfactory mileage from Metzler 880 on the front. I think keeping them aired at 40psi is the secret for preventing cupping and extending wear.
Since you have a 17" wheel on the front you have some choices for "Double Darksiding" which is using a rear motorcycle tire on your front along with your car tire on the rear. Look at the Avon Roadrider, there are several here that use it. The advantage is more tread which equals longer life.

Dynabeads http://www.innovativebalancing.com/ are what you are asking about for balancing. Look at the link and read the topics along the left side of their page and it should answer any of your questions. I have been using them for about 22,000 miles and just love how smooth they are. You can throw them in the tire when you mount it or you can put them in through the valve stem after the tire is mounted.

Do a little reading and check out what I've mentioned and come on back with more questions.... We are here to help. Vader

2012 Goldwing Candy Red
Michelin Alpin PA3 195/55/16   The Darkside... Ain't nothin' but a rubber thang...  Vader
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 on Fri May 20, 2011 12:52 pm

Great advice OODoc! Looks like you covered it all!

Ritz Red,

Congrats and welcome to the Darkside! You will love it!

aka....Senior Vader...(giving to me by my friends) Vader

http://www.hickmachine.com/ I got the CTR and love it!

VTXDS # 5
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand on Fri May 20, 2011 1:15 pm

OODoc gave you a great answer! I am running the Goodyear triple tred in 205/65-15 and love it. I have an 03 VTX 1800 S and sealed the spokes with 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive. Could not be happier. I run a Metzler ME 880 on the front and get about 15,000 out of a set. I am on my 3rd Metz and I run 40 psi up front all the time and never have any wear or cupping. Be steadfast about checking your tire pressure once or twice a week! Running 3 oz of dyna beads in the rear and 2 0z in the front no wheel weights and 34 psi in the rear GYTT.
Beermand

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat May 21, 2011 4:00 pm

00 Doc wrote: Welcome Welcome to the Darkside Red!!!

I'd suggest a 205/70/15 tire for your bike. That is the same size used on the VTX1300, I have run a General Grabber UHP and now a Michelin HydroEdge, others like the Goodyear Triple Tred in a 65 series, a Douglas tire from WalMart is popular too.
I have had satisfactory mileage from Metzler 880 on the front. I think keeping them aired at 40psi is the secret for preventing cupping and extending wear.
Since you have a 17" wheel on the front you have some choices for "Double Darksiding" which is using a rear motorcycle tire on your front along with your car tire on the rear. Look at the Avon Roadrider, there are several here that use it. The advantage is more tread which equals longer life.

Dynabeads http://www.innovativebalancing.com/ are what you are asking about for balancing. Look at the link and read the topics along the left side of their page and it should answer any of your questions. I have been using them for about 22,000 miles and just love how smooth they are. You can throw them in the tire when you mount it or you can put them in through the valve stem after the tire is mounted.

Do a little reading and check out what I've mentioned and come on back with more questions.... We are here to help. Vader
hey thanks I will try all you have mentioned oh yea any advice on mounting I am going to have to do it myself as I live in a little town and nobody here wants to do it IE Less Schwab also I am running spokes so i want to run a tube what tube do i use and do you put the balance beads in the tube??? thanks again

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat May 21, 2011 4:11 pm

Ritz Red wrote:
00 Doc wrote: Welcome Welcome to the Darkside Red!!!

hey thanks I will try all you have mentioned oh yea any advice on mounting I am going to have to do it myself as I live in a little town and nobody here wants to do it IE Less Schwab also I am running spokes so i want to run a tube what tube do i use and do you put the balance beads in the tube??? thanks again

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc on Sat May 21, 2011 4:12 pm

Use your regular motorcycle tube. I live in a small town too. The local tire and muffler place mounted my tire with their Hunter tire machine, we used a 4x4 to protect the rotor.
They had some lube that looked like crisco and it seated at about 60 psi.
Dynabeads will go through the valve stem on your tube. Use a short piece of 1/4 inch clear plastic tubing (Lowes or Home Depot has it) to connect a small funnel or squirt bottle to the valve stem. Tap or vibrate the tubing to help the beads flow.

2012 Goldwing Candy Red
Michelin Alpin PA3 195/55/16   The Darkside... Ain't nothin' but a rubber thang...  Vader
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

thanks

Post  Guest on Sat May 21, 2011 6:33 pm

[i]thanks for all the info i will get at this and see what happens thanks again for taking time out to answere my questions

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top