Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well this sucks.

+2
Doc
Twitch23
6 posters

Go down

Well this sucks. Empty Well this sucks.

Post  Twitch23 Mon May 16, 2011 7:40 pm

I just got here, but I must be going. I have been a sith for just over 400 miles now and love the smoothness of the ride. However, when my wife rode with me yesterday I could not get a good feeling from the tire. We started off at 34lbs, which is where I liked it. That proved too "squishy" for both of us. We stopped and pushed it up to 40lbs, but that made it feel like a rock. We stopped every few miles and let it out a pound at a time until we got down to 30lbs. It never hit a sweet spot for both of us. With sadness in my heart, and pain in my wallet, I will be going back to a mt for the time being. I am certain this is because I used a cheap "economy" tire. Perhaps next tire change I will pony up the dough for a Grabber or the like.

Twitch23

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Back to top Go down

Well this sucks. Empty Re: Well this sucks.

Post  Doc Mon May 16, 2011 9:04 pm

Did you also stiffen up your shock settings when you went 2-up?
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon May 16, 2011 9:06 pm

What are your shocks set at? with the wife on mine I like 37 lbs with the shocks set at 3. Nice soft smooth ride. I would play with the shock settings before spending more money.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Twitch23 Tue May 17, 2011 7:03 am

Thanks for the advice guys, but I already had my shocks set at 4 for 2-up riding (we are not little folk). I tried everything I can think of: shocks, air, front tire pressure. Hell, I even checked to make sure the balance weights didnt come off and the rear axle didnt come loose. I honestly think its just a matter of using a cheap tire that no one had tried before. Like I said, it felt good for solo riding, but my wife and I go everywhere on the weekends on the bike so her feeling confident is as important as anything else. She didnt really complain, but when I asked her what was wrong she confessed to feeling very unstable. Like I said, next tire change I will most likely get the Grabber and give it another go, but for now I will order from Bike Bandit and save a few bucks on a mt.

Twitch23

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue May 17, 2011 7:36 am

That's really a shame because my wife loves riding the car tire and says it's way smoother on her!

Sorry, just got to thinking this is the first time we have ever gotten this response like this guys.

...................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue May 17, 2011 9:08 am

What tire, whose tire? We may need that on the avoid list.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Twitch23 Tue May 17, 2011 5:23 pm

I got the Primewell 205-70-15 from Tires plus. I think its just maybe not the right tire for Darksiding. Luckily I found a decently reviewed mt on bikebandit.com for less than $90 shipped. So in six months after I put 8k on the new tire I will try a grabber. Trust me, I didnt want to be the first to post that I didnt like it, but I figured this way it may save someone from getting the cheap tire and having the same experience. At least I will try it again in the future, alot of folks may not if they have a bad first try.

Twitch23

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue May 17, 2011 9:37 pm

I think you need to hang with the car tire! I know people riding the Primewell and love it. Maybe it's just in your head of you are feeling the mold release.

All tires between brands always give you different feelings when you try it for the first time. Give it some time! JMO
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  ronnie7holt Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:46 am

Mine did feel alittle strange at first 2 up but after it got broke in its great. Save your money and give it some more time. You will love it. I used a cheap tire also and it does fine. Good luck and ride safe.

ronnie7holt

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down