Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back on the Darkside

+2
twin1300
Dark Phantom
6 posters

Go down

Back on the Darkside Empty Back on the Darkside

Post  Dark Phantom Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:39 am

I rode on the Darkside for a couple years with my 1800C, then I bought an 1800N about a year ago, tires were still good so decided to use the m/t as long as I could. So starting out this year tire was shot so I put on a Yokohama AVID ENVigor 195/55/16. Looks good and feels good, starting out at 40 psi, will report back when I have some miles on this tire... feels good to be back! Cool
Dark Phantom
Dark Phantom

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-10-12

Back to top Go down

Back on the Darkside Empty Re: Back on the Darkside

Post  twin1300 Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:35 am

cheers
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:53 am

Cool
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:02 pm

Glad to have you back.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Phantom Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:12 pm

Here's a shot of the tire... also updated sig pic to the N instead of the C. figured after a year it was about due, lol.

Back on the Darkside DSCN0659
Dark Phantom
Dark Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:34 pm

looks good!
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:51 pm

Very nice looks good!
Beermand
Beermand

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalten Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:11 pm

Dark Phantom wrote:I rode on the Darkside for a couple years with my 1800C, then I bought an 1800N about a year ago, tires were still good so decided to use the m/t as long as I could. So starting out this year tire was shot so I put on a Yokohama AVID ENVigor 195/55/16. Looks good and feels good, starting out at 40 psi, will report back when I have some miles on this tire... feels good to be back! Cool

I'll most likely go with the 205/60/16 on my N but i wanted to ask how it was to mount and what sort of clearance you have from the shaft side?
Kalten
Kalten

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Phantom Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:35 am

I was lucky enough to have a Kawasaki dealer here in town who was ok with mounting car tires on bikes, as he did my first one, and has done a few others for guys around the area. I was worried about it with the N fender as far as him having problems getting it mounted but he said getting it up into place was not much of a problem with the tire deflated. The only problem there ended up being was my bearings needed to be replaced, so it took a day longer until we could get them... I called a Honda dealer in a town about 30 miles away, and he said he had them, so my wife took off at noon and drove there to get them and drove back and gave them to the guy to get it all done, and we stop after work to pick it up only to find out the Honda dealer gave us the wrong bearings!!! Evil or Very Mad So the guy at the Kawa dealer called up there and had them UPS them down and had them the next day and all was good. As far as clearance between the shaft and the tire, with this 195, I have a good 5/16 of and inch, with the C I use to have that I ran a Goodyear Tripletred 205/60 on, I had about an 1/8 of an inch. I also had an issue with it rubbing when I rode 2up, and yesterday was our first ride 2up on the N with this tire, and no rubbing issues at all, fits perfect. I know alot want to have the widest tire possible, but my main thing was to have a good car tire to get more miles out of riding without having to replace my rear tire every year. Width isn't the issue I was concerned with. Plus, I hate over spending, the m/t I wanted becuz it was what was on there and ran well was the Avon Venom, and I was going to have to go with the Avon Cobra because they replaced the Venoms, and the tire was going to cost me $300, this tire was $140 and had a v rating. The only thing I still need to check is the speedo...
Dark Phantom
Dark Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalten Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:48 am

One reason I wanted to go with the 205/60 was the height since it will be closer to stock than the 195/55.

Based on the calculator:
180/70 = 25.9
205/60 = 25.7
195/55 = 24.4

While only about .75" on one side it all adds up the width was secondary. I'd rather keep the height for carving and not dragging. I think based on what you had said about clearance I could actually get a 215/60 to fit but the tread width is the same for that and the 205 only the section width and height changes. Not worth the risk of it not fitting.
Kalten
Kalten

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down