Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TWIN!!!

+4
jedishon
Badmoon
twin1300
DocRawk
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

TWIN!!! Empty TWIN!!!

Post  DocRawk Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:46 pm

What type of setup did you use to do your paint? I got the itch. I don't think it'll happen anytime soon, but I'm dreamin...I'm thinking a mystic violet marble base coat with a blood red candy topcoat probably with some sort of design or a fade on the topcoat. What all's involved? ALSA Corp has some cool stuff with some rattle cans they claim have the same spray characteristics of a HVLP gun. I've really got no idea how difficult all of it is...
DocRawk
DocRawk

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

TWIN!!! Empty Re: TWIN!!!

Post  DocRawk Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:50 pm

I'm thinking something like this:

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=217833&highlight=paint

But the mystic violet base coat has a color change lighting effect going from silvery to violet as you change angles, kind of a chameleon effect. And the candy blood red would pretty much tint the whole thing towards a darker red color.
DocRawk
DocRawk

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:07 pm

Brandon,

I did my son racing helmet like that.....I will post a pic! Man, it worked easy. Just spray the base and top coat with some celephane, and then the color you choose. Of course I got painting experience. Candies, pearls and "over lays" are NOT easy to spray. You can if not sprayed correctly, get heavy spots or light spots and of course the color doesn't come out like you want it to! It's all about technique and air and gun control plus experience to get what you desire. It's not something you explain, but have to see done. Plus there are 100 ways to screw it up! Some colors can't be sprayed over others like light colors over darkers are a NO NO because they kill the brightness of the lighter colors. Just a bunch of issue that have to be addressed with every custom job.

Now, here's my thought on the subject. If you do some kind of elaborate paint job and you scratch it. It's over with as far as fixing it. Some experts can't repair their own work because of the above mentioned reasons. If you were riding a "bike nite" ride or a show bike. I would hesitate to paint it that way. I used solid colors with contrasting colors and chose the opposite colored pinstripes for the custom look. Then it can be repaired easily. I do have a little red pearl in my orange, but just enough that it easy to match or can be hidden or cut into the design and hidden where you would spot fix it. Even I chose something that was nice and different, but with a thought to repair. Of course that was a good thing too, as I got rear ended 3 months after painting it................ Wink

I hope this answers some of your questions and my thought on the subject. JMHO!

..............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:12 pm

Brandon,

Here's the pic of my son's helmet....notice the marbling of the orange above and left of the word "hotrod" I lettered on his helmet.

TWIN!!! Canjunshootout015

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DocRawk Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:19 pm

Hmm. So the candies are difficult due to shading problems. As far as what I'm thinking right now, I would be doing a primer coat, then a wet coat of the mystic violet marble paint. They say to lay plastic wrap over it while it's wet and then pull it off to get the marble effect. Once that cured, it'd be the candy blood red (I'm not sure how many coats), and then a coat or five of clear. I figure there's all sorts of sanding and polishing involved between steps and after the final clear coat. I'd figured if it got scratched, I could just use the same color and a toothpick to repair it...unless it's majorly messed up, in which case I'd probably be painting the part again anyway... All the paints I'm thinking of are ALSA Killer Can colors, so matching wouldn't be a problem. I'm probably being overly ambitious, and even more likely, I'm talking about something the significant other won't allow me to do since we'll likely be married before I'm ready to try it. I'm just brainstorming. If you've got pics and a step by step you could post, I'd greatly appreciate it. You might even talk me out of wanting to do it!
DocRawk
DocRawk

Back to top Go down

Post  DocRawk Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:25 pm

You got the clear on that thing looking great!!! Not to mention the graphics!
DocRawk
DocRawk

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:27 pm

Brandon,

I not talking you out of it...just warning you what can happen.......and I would never try to do a custom job from a spray can.....Not that you can't....I wouldn't do candies or layered paint jobs with one. It's as much as how the spray gun sprays a pattern that makes all the differences in the world how it comes out. Even if someone knew how to spray with some experience and didn't know how to adjust the gun....it would come out bad.

Thanks for asking....but as a friend, I would if I was you...I would want the truth. Something I have learned....when a professional makes it look easy....it aint. It's what separates the men from the boys. I know this sounds bad. But it's the truth.

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:49 pm

I will show you some graphics I did.....watch this. This is my friends drag truck. It has a flat sheet metal on the front of it to keep the air out of the grill at his 150 mph passes. The truch was fast, but looked slow, so you can see how graphics play just as much as a part of the overall scheme as paint does.

TWIN!!! Kartshow283
Here it is scuffed and ready for me to do the graphics.

TWIN!!! Kartshow284
I layed out the outline and started to created the light sockets...look how they look recessed.

TWIN!!! Kartshow285
Now I got the forefront layout, I started laying in the dark behind the grill to give it depth.

TWIN!!! Kartshow287
All of this is done with a brush and now waiting for the combination brush and airbrush to do the lights and chrome effect for the molding.

TWIN!!! Kartshow289
Here is the finished pic.

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DocRawk Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:54 pm

You airbrushed that?
DocRawk
DocRawk

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:56 pm

DocRawk wrote:You airbrushed that?

Yes sir!

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:26 pm

Brandon,

Did you notice how the truck took on a leaner lower stance and looked like it was moving. Just the first pics of starting the graphics gave it a lower look with the linear white lines. I used to think his truck looked like a box going down the track. Now, it gets respect to go along with the speed he's running.

So, you need a custom job that's workable and repairable if ever in a accident or if you forget to put the kickstand down, A custom job can use a nice solid colors or flakes and graphics. Those nice custom paint jobs with candies are fine for show stuff, but suck in the real world. JMO

.........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:33 pm

twin1300 wrote:
DocRawk wrote:You airbrushed that?

Yes sir!

You wanna paint my scoot? Come on, ya wanna. PPPPlllllleeeeeaaaassssseeeee.......
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:58 am

Can I be after Moon.... can I.... can I... huh.. aw come on can I.....
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:33 am

Brandon,

I have been thinking about this all nite. I do have a solution for you. Choose a solid or metal flake color as the main color you like and have some kind of graphic shape that fits you bike and then do the custom shading, pearl, marbleizing, or layered work in just the design. (note...small designs or some kind of small graphics design shape can be done very easily from a can). That way if it needs to be fixed it will be easier to do because you can tape off the just the design and redo the whole thing, so you will not have to blend anything (almost impossible to do) to fix it. Now the only problem which is a lesser problem, you have to remember your steps and amount of passes (write them down) so it will match the other side if you only ding or scratch one side...... Wink Does that make sense?..... Very Happy

As a graphic designer, you can say the same thing with small amounts of custom blend, marblelizing, pearls, etc. with a little as much as it does if you choose to do the whole bike that way.

To the rest of you guys...........I'll think about getting back into custom painting.

........................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:37 am

Here is some glue chip glass I custom did with airbrushing and 23 karat gold leaf for a companys foyer! It started as a clear piece of glass, then cut the lettering out and removed the background. Sanded blasted everything that wasn't masked off. The use animal hide glue to chip the glass in the snail like pattern. (Just so you know...most Beer mirrors use this glue chip method to do the custom beer signs in bars or restaurants.) You probably saw it, just didn't realized what it was called. Here's my glue chipped mirror design, but for a company.

TWIN!!! AWWWWWWWWWWWWWDontLook
Here is the glass after I glue chipped the design and cleaned it and getting it ready for the airbrush fading.

TWIN!!! HesGooooooooooooood
This is me airbrushing the fade and and some of the gold leaf applied. Sorry, I don't know what happened to the finished pic. I can't find it.

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:48 am

That was a long time ago.....you still remember how? Laughing Laughing
I have a hard time remembering last year.
Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:58 am

Heck...... I can hide my own Easter eggs !!!!!!!!!!!!...................... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:20 am

twin...ya got skills sir! Very Happy

Now those mirror pics...early 80s? Cool
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:38 am

Your alot thinner in that pic. also Very Happy

Its funny how when we get older, its harder to get and keep the weight off.

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:40 am

Toasted_311 wrote:twin...ya got skills sir! Very Happy

Now those mirror pics...early 80s? Cool

Early 90's....... Laughing Laughing I was like 31 or 32 when I did that job. I did the truck job about 5 years ago!

Thanks on the compliment...... Very Happy

...........bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:36 am

5 years is a long time....you sure one of us shouldn't bring our bike down so you can do a little something.....just to stay in touch with it...to far for me personally.......but I'm sure someone would make it there.
Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:00 am

I heard that Twin was going to airbrush Smokys bike with a little pink if he brought it down in its MULTICOLORED glory. I aint revealing any sources, I'm just sayin, thats what I heard. Twisted Evil
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:13 am

Muntz wrote:I heard that Twin was going to airbrush Smokys bike with a little pink if he brought it down in its MULTICOLORED glory. I aint revealing any sources, I'm just sayin, thats what I heard. Twisted Evil

Muntz,

When smokey gets his computer back and reads this.......he's going to come down and kill you and tell God..."you just died and he found you that way"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:37 am

Sounds like we just lost our Wheelie King.......Long live the Queen

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  DocRawk Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:19 am

jedishon wrote:Sounds like we just lost our Wheelie King.......Long live the Queen

Jerry
lol!
DocRawk
DocRawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next