Another New guy!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another New guy!

Post  GOG on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:56 pm

Hey everyone, just thought I would say hi. I've been lurking for a few months and have decided to go dark. I have an 06 R with progressive 440HD's. I usually ride 2up and we are pretty big folks (im 350+ and add my wife to that!) so the CT makes even more sense to me just for weight load.
I am still running the OEM dunnies and plan on ordering a MIch HE 205/65/16 I found online for 108.00 and I also found a metz880 for the front at 140.00 shipped. I plan on mounting them both myself and using dynabeads. I am doing it myself since the only place I found that would do it wanted $80 to mount the CT and another $30 for the MT affraid
I have already ordered the irons, beads, rim protectors and new valves. I've also watched every tire change vid I can find and spent hours reading.
You guys think these tires will be good and do you think the prices are good? Any tips for the mount, other tools I may need? Thanks for any help!

GOG

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-12-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Another New guy!

Post  VTXCarl on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:57 am

study
1st !! Congrats on the switch to the dark side. Hope you have help doing the swap. I have a harbor fright tire changer with the motorcycle adapter and even with help it was hard. I cut the old tire off with a grinder to speed up the swap.(why kill time and effort when I'm tossing it anyways) We got it on half way with out a problem, But could not muscle it the rest of the way.( I'm 65 and my Bud is 63) It's a Kumho 215/45/18 for my "F". Went to a cycle shop and with 3 of us managed to get er done on a more robust manual machine. Took off all weights and Dyna-beaded. Front tire is a ME880 also beaded. Rides like a dream. cheers cheers
VTXCarl

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster on Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:44 pm

welcome!

nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Welcome! Smile

2012 Goldwing Candy Red
Michelin Alpin PA3 195/55/16   The Darkside... Ain't nothin' but a rubber thang...  Vader
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  GOG on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Thanks for the welcomes! I'm just waiting for the tires to show up now and then I'll give it a try. Someone on the VTXOA board posted this really cool idea which I may try too:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299597

GOG

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:47 am

Congrats and welcome to our site! I think you are going to love the darkside especially two up riding! That's when the tire really shines!

.......................bobby

aka....Senior Vader...(giving to me by my friends) Vader

http://www.hickmachine.com/ I got the CTR and love it!

VTXDS # 5
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  GOG on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Well- I got the tires and the tools and decided to try and find a place that would install the tire for me at a reasonable price. I gave up after the 3rd try and decided to tackle the job in the garage.
3 tire irons, a large C clamp, rim protectors and tons of swearing I now have a CT mounted on my R rim. I still haven't put in on the bike yet since I am dead. Took me from 10am till 9pm with a little help from my wife and son to get the dunflop off and the HE mounted. I will NEVER do that again!
I was surprised after reading all the horror stores on here that it only took 30psi to pop the bead! Getting the bead off on the dunflop was HELL! The tire was brittle and 6yrs old which is why I was changing it anyway.
Any of you think I should grind off the lip on the swingarm? will it need it? Its an HE 205/65/16 on an 1800R. Any tips or hints for when I go to put it back on? I already know I need to deflate it and relube everything with Honda moly paste.
I guess I am officially half way darkside! Do I get half a cookie??
Time to lay on the couch and veg in front of the TV while the vicodin kicks in for my back!

GOG

Back to top Go down

Post  mark_1bx on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:48 am

GOG wrote:Well- I got the tires and the tools and decided to try and find a place that would install the tire for me at a reasonable price. I gave up after the 3rd try and decided to tackle the job in the garage.
3 tire irons, a large C clamp, rim protectors and tons of swearing I now have a CT mounted on my R rim. I still haven't put in on the bike yet since I am dead. Took me from 10am till 9pm with a little help from my wife and son to get the dunflop off and the HE mounted. I will NEVER do that again!
I was surprised after reading all the horror stores on here that it only took 30psi to pop the bead! Getting the bead off on the dunflop was HELL! The tire was brittle and 6yrs old which is why I was changing it anyway.
Any of you think I should grind off the lip on the swingarm? will it need it? Its an HE 205/65/16 on an 1800R. Any tips or hints for when I go to put it back on? I already know I need to deflate it and relube everything with Honda moly paste.
I guess I am officially half way darkside! Do I get half a cookie??
Time to lay on the couch and veg in front of the TV while the vicodin kicks in for my back!

Where do you live?
Some of us have tire machines and would be willing to help.
mark_1bx

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  GOG on Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:03 pm

So I have about 200 miles on the new tire and I love it. Still playing with pressures. One issue though.....The tire didnt rub at all when I put it on and still doesnt with me on the bike solo. I went out last weekend for about 100 miles 2up with my wife and today I noticed that the tire has been rubbing on the right side. Looks like it was against the swingarm. It has removed the area that says michelin all the way around the tire. About a 1" wide stripe. Today I painted a white line with a grease pencil across the area and took a quick ride. None of it came off. I assume that with my wife on, this caused the tire to get wider due to weight and start rubbing and I am pretty sure I have rubbed off what is going to come off. I did not up the pressure when I rode two up either. I am running at 35 now.

My question is -Do I need to worry about it? Is the tire now shot? I am pretty sure it didnt do any damage but I want opinions. I know I need to grind off some of the swingarm but dont have time at the moment.

GOG

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Sounds like it is a self solving problem. I don't believe the tire is functionally damaged at all.
This is the 1st I've heard of a 205 width tire rubbing, although you do have the bike fully loaded.
I'll suggest you check your shock bushings and maybe up the pressure a bit when you go 2up.

2012 Goldwing Candy Red
Michelin Alpin PA3 195/55/16   The Darkside... Ain't nothin' but a rubber thang...  Vader
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  GOG on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:02 pm

00 Doc wrote:Sounds like it is a self solving problem. I don't believe the tire is functionally damaged at all.
This is the 1st I've heard of a 205 width tire rubbing, although you do have the bike fully loaded.
I'll suggest you check your shock bushings and maybe up the pressure a bit when you go 2up.

Yeah I think it fixed itself too. Thank god it didnt fix itself all the way to a blowout affraid I know the bushings are fine since I am running almost new progressive 440HD's. I did remember to adjust them stiffer when I was two up but, as you said too, I need to up the pressure. I'll have to try it again 2up around the block with 40psi and see if that rubs. My biggest concern is the tire structure.....

GOG

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Bit late this reaction, but indeed strange this rubbing. Even a 215 should fit
without rubbing. Have you taken out the wheel again?
Let us know.
By the way, half a cookie is as much as a whole one. Wink
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  GOG on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:10 pm

Yeah I haven't had a chance to look at it any further yet. Been too busy at work. I have decided to pull the wheel and grind down the swing arm a bit. Before I do that I will do test around the block 2-up and see if it is still rubbing using the grease pencil. I have a feeling it wont be rubbing but I will feel better if I grind it off some just in case.
Looking down on the right side there is very little space between the tire edge and the swing arm lip. I would say I could fit about 7 sheets of notebook paper stacked thickness in there. It has to be the extra weight two up that caused it since I put about 75 miles on there 1up with no rubbing at all. I noticed nothing strange when it was rubbing so there could not have been that much pressure against the swing arm. Just enough to slowly remove the sidewall letters.....

GOG

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:52 am

If you have enough space on the drive shaft side, if so you could consider placing
the wheel a bit more to that side. It might be a bit out of center, but you will not
notice this, in fact there's a good chance it's out of center at the moment.
Good luck.
CaribCruiser

Back to top Go down

Post  GOG on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:57 am

CaribCruiser wrote:If you have enough space on the drive shaft side, if so you could consider placing
the wheel a bit more to that side. It might be a bit out of center, but you will not
notice this, in fact there's a good chance it's out of center at the moment.
Good luck.

NO space on the driveshaft side at all. Question though.....
How can one center the wheel? I have been working on cars for years but this is my first bike. I dont see how the wheel can be moved left or right????

I put it up on the stand today to take a closer look and I found the lower lip on the right fender bracket was filled with rubber shavings. I am assuming that most of the rubbing was the bracket although I still think the swingarm is doing a little bit of it. I am almost certain now that it would shave a little bit each time we hit a bump when 2-up and that's why it wasn't constant and I didn't notice it.

I was wondering what would be the easiest way to tackle this? Should I just pull the fender after removing the wheel? Is there an easy way to get the wheel on and off? I had a hell of a time getting the wheel in there even with it deflated. The damn dust ring was in the way mostly for me. For that matter, I have never pulled the fender either. I assume it's just the electrics under the right cover and the 6 rail bolts??
Would there be any way to fix the rubbing issue without fully removing the wheel?? Possibly pull the axle and drop it down and back while on the stand??

All advice on this is greatly appreciated. I will probably at a least start on it over the next couple of days.

GOG

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:48 am

I hope someone will chime in with more technical knowledge then me, which isn't that hard. Embarassed
I can't help you out, but it still seems strange to me. I'm running a 225 on a 1300, put on a 1800 rim.
I've about 2 mm left on both sides. I never ride 2-up (Don't even have a fender), but still a 225 on a
1300 bike.
Hope someone can help you out soon.
Robert.
CaribCruiser

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:23 am

right spacers on the right sides? Did the spacers get put back in?

nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GOG on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:15 pm

nodakbassmaster wrote:right spacers on the right sides? Did the spacers get put back in?

Yep - they are there and in the right places. Made triple sure of that when Installing......

GOG

Back to top Go down

Post  GOG on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Well I pulled the fender today rather than the wheel since I felt this would be easier to fully see whats rubbing. It is the fender supports for sure so I will be grinding them down a little. My other concern is the gap between the tire and the front right corner of the swingarm. It doesnt look like it has been rubbing and I am pretty sure I can leave that alone but I wanted some more opinions on it too. Here are a couple of shots taken straight down at the tire and swingarm at the front right corner. What do you all think?

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif
http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif

PS- 1st time pulling the fender for me. Amazing how easy that was and how much more access there is to everything!

GOG

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:50 pm

I wouldnt worry about the swingarm, and the inner brace can probly be centered over the tire to stop the rubbing without grinding anything...

nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Phantom on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:12 pm

I ran A GYTT 205/60/16 on my 02 1800C, and when we rode 2up my tire would rub. Riding solo it was fine. I rode it for 2 years and then sold the C after I bought my 1800N. I have worn out my rear mc tire and and going back to the Darkside. After reading and asking questions for awhile again, I was told and shown pics that the N fender is a little wider between inside fender rails, and even tho I was told the 205/60/16 would work with no mods, I was told the same thing about my C. So, I have decided to run a little narrower tire to to be safe and try to avoid this problem. I ordered a Yokohama AVID ENVigor 195/55/16, and it should be here tomorrow and will be put on Thursday.
Dark Phantom

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum