Am in need of help!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Am in need of help!!!!

Post  mike.lambert on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:41 pm

Phonecall from bike shop...says they can't get my tire mounted on the rim......

1800 VTX N

205/60/16 GYTT

Any advice on what to tell them???

This is got me down, supposed to be on a ride tomorrow evening.

mike.lambert

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-06-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Am in need of help!!!!

Post  twin1300 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:24 pm

Most of the time...people don't use enough slick'em! You cannot use the once around swipe with the soap like most tire people do! It takes time a patience to mount one! I wash my rim with water to remove the old soap from previous mountings because that can grip the soft rubber of the car tire and then I slop the cooking oil all the way up to the letter on the side walls and all over the rim.

....................bobby

aka....Senior Vader...(giving to me by my friends) Vader

http://www.hickmachine.com/ I got the CTR and love it!

VTXDS # 5
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

re am in need of help

Post  Larry Simpson on Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:32 pm

Something tells me they really didn't want to get into it,they are no big deal to mount.Lham and I have mounted at leaste two gytt on 1800 rims using harbor freight tire machine,it took all of 10 or 15 minutes to mount them and they seated at 50 psi or less.we use the lube that came with machine.FIND ANOTHER SHOP.Just my two cents worth. Very Happy Very Happy
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  RedTide on Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:50 am

Took my freshly powder coated rim and Michelin HE 205/65-16 to a mom and pop ATV shop because they did not prohibit ppl from the shop area. This allowed me to be directly involved in the mounting and making sure they did it right. I actually cleaned up the machine a bit and put pieces of microfiber cloth on every point that would touch the rim. Because I dumped Dyna Beads into the tire after one side was on I did not let them put on a lot of lube on the other side. The machine alone could not fully get the tire over the rim edge. The last bit (about 12 in) had to be pushed on by hand. It was a tussle, but the HE finally gave in and went on. Had to roll the tire and push center of the tread a bit to get the tire beads to catch and they did, seating at around 50 lbs. It might have gone on a whole lot easier had I let them use more lube, but that is on me. I also had them mount an Avon on the front (PCed) wheel. Like the HE the last bit had to pushed on by hand. Again, I was stingy on the lube because of the Dyna Beads, plus Avons are a bit stiff anyway. Their not getting it on is probably a combination of not enough lube and not having the skill or patience to do it.

RedTide

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  no-one on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:17 am

i just put a Michelen HE 205-70-15 on my RS. I couldn't get the bead to seat with a tube so i sealed the rim. Still didn't seat. i finally took straight dish soap on the rim and tire bead, pressured to 100 psi and set in the sun. took about 30 minutes and it seated. now i am trying to adjust to the difference in handling. No problem dragging the floor boards and when i look at how far over the tire is scrubbing on the edge of the tread it is not even close to the edge of the tread, but when coming out of a turn the bike wants to stand back up so quickly, has me worried about how quick it wants to stand up. affraid i sure don't want to hi side. where are the cookies????
no-one

Registration date : 2010-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post  RedTide on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:54 am

The "self righting" feature when coming out of turns is just one of the characteristics of using a DS tire. All is good, get used to it, learn to control it and use it to your advantage.

Last edited by RedTide on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total

RedTide

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:44 am

Welcome to the darkside. Watch the mold release. Had a guy on a wing go down here 5 miles after puiting the tire on because he got to aggressive in a curve. Everyones blaming the tire except those that know.
Anyway standing up quick helps when your going through some nice S curves.

Jerry
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  no-one on Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:06 am

Getting a few miles on the CT, now i have a wiggle in the rear that starts around 95, anyone have any ideas what would cause that, or where to start looking?
no-one

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon on Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:45 am

Shock bushings.
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  RedTide on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:59 am

Yep, shock bushings are the first place to look and the easiest to check and replace. Also verify that the shocks are still good too. If all is OK then check all bearings associated with the rear end, including the swingarm.

RedTide

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalten on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:41 pm

no-one wrote:Getting a few miles on the CT, now i have a wiggle in the rear that starts around 95, anyone have any ideas what would cause that, or where to start looking?

I don't recall where i saw the post it was either here or the VTXOA forum but if your riding an "S" you may want to check your spokes too.
Kalten

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  no-one on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:31 am

Thanks for every ones input. i changed out the shock bushings and the problem went away. i now have about 400 miles on it and starting to feel pretty good about my decision to go to a CT. (that 1st 100 or so miles i was wondering if i had made a mistake) BTW I checked the run out on the rim and it is running true. Sealed the spokes with 3M 5200, i don't think they can ever be adjusted so if the spokes were a problem i think it would be to late.
As for the wobble i do have a theory as to what causes it. i have done some stress diagrams and the wider contact patch vs the narrow contact patch allows the the shocks on each side to see different loads. (2 seperate planes of loading with the wider contact patch) if the shocks are bad or the bushings are bad or anything else for that matter there is movemnt on that side before the other side sees that loading then the load doesn't get transferred equally to the other side allowing the wheel to twist. This got me to looking at the yamaha post as they have bikes with a monoshock.
there problems seems to be steering head bushings or swing arm bushings, of course we can have those issues also just look at some of the posts.
no-one

Back to top Go down

Post  mark_1bx on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:36 pm

mike.lambert wrote:Phonecall from bike shop...says they can't get my tire mounted on the rim......

1800 VTX N

205/60/16 GYTT

Any advice on what to tell them???

This is got me down, supposed to be on a ride tomorrow evening.

I mount these all the time and I only use minimal amount of lube. I don't use copious amounts of lube because I don't want any moisture inside the tire that will screw up the Dyna Beads. I don't know what their problem is but I think it's obvious they don't know what their doing. Now I'd be worried that these guys screwed up the beads.
mark_1bx

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum