Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pullin the trigger

3 posters

Go down

Pullin the trigger Empty Pullin the trigger

Post  RedTide Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:28 pm

Been planning on going to the DS on my '03 Retro for some time and am finally getting the wheels PCed, so now is as good a time as any. Looking at a Falken ZIEX ZE-512 205/65R16 95H BW. Anybody using one - pros, cons? I do not want any tire rub and am hoping for a bit more accurate speedo. I only ride 1 up. TIA.

RedTide

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-06-29

Back to top Go down

Pullin the trigger Empty Re: Pullin the trigger

Post  nodakbassmaster Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:40 am

it should fit, but that is the only brand of tire that I will mention possibly staying clear of... it's the only brand (that I know of) with multiple complaints of wobbling, poor handling and other various issues.... dunno if any are valid or not, but that's the assumption that I have drawn Wink
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:44 am

Yep Falken has the complaints. So far only 2 people have been able to get them to seat. I would stay with a tried and proven tire for my first one, and then experiment with the second.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  RedTide Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:28 pm

Appreciate the quick responses. Looking a bit more it appears that GYTTs and Michelin Hydros are the bread and butter of DSing. Currently have an Avon Cobra R up front on a cast wheel and an Avon Cobra Bias on a spoker for the rear. Yea, I know, shoulda been sucked into a black hole for doing such a thing, but it is only temp till the rear cast comes back from the PCer. I really have not noticed any difference in ride or handling though. Probably will replace the front Avon with a Dunnie E3 after a bit.

RT

RedTide

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:52 pm

RedTide wrote:Appreciate the quick responses. Looking a bit more it appears that GYTTs and Michelin Hydros are the bread and butter of DSing. Currently have an Avon Cobra R up front on a cast wheel and an Avon Cobra Bias on a spoker for the rear. Yea, I know, shoulda been sucked into a black hole for doing such a thing, but it is only temp till the rear cast comes back from the PCer. I really have not noticed any difference in ride or handling though. Probably will replace the front Avon with a Dunnie E3 after a bit.

RT

Most here don't care for the Duncrap tires. Seems most like the metz ME880's, Avon's, bridgestone's, even continental's but not Dun____.
I'm putting an Avon roadrider rear on the front of mine this week.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Pullin the trigger Empty Re: Pullin the trigger & stuff

Post  RedTide Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:08 pm

Well kiss my grits ... Last I heard (might have been a while) E3s were good, oh well. Guess I have been out of the loop a bit too long. Got really hung up on fly fishing for steelhead trout in Western NY (still am actually).

In any case do you have the part number for the Carr-McMaster shock bushings ($3.42 for 5 - per a previous post of yours)? Tried Gary's shock bushings a while back and after 1,000 miles they kinda bit the dust. Seeing I am doing all else it is probably best to do them too.

Thanks,

RT

RedTide

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:34 pm

Went up a little. $4.05 for 5 now.
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=6389K344&pagenum=1070

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  RedTide Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:04 pm

jedishon wrote:Most here don't care for the Duncrap tires. Seems most like the metz ME880's, Avon's, bridgestone's, even continental's but not Dun____.
I'm putting an Avon roadrider rear on the front of mine this week.

Jerry

Whoa, that one slid by me! Avon roadrider rear on the front? Tell me More about this.

RT

RedTide

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down