Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire

+16
Rodsworth02
Andy Cote
rockyolson
Fatboy
George 99
David Miller
Larry Simpson
Doc
eidolon
larryc
dmerritt65
newday777
twin1300
96se
quadancer
SaiBeer
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire - Page 2 Empty Re: 175R16 Austone Taxi Tire

Post  quadancer Tue May 17, 2011 9:26 am

Wow, 2 inches! I can feel the extra 1/2" of mine, making the cornering a little easier.
Perhaps you could find a back road with a good dip in it, and make some controlled passes in a straight line to see just what it takes to bottom it out. No sense having any surprises later when you don't expect it. It could very well be like jamming on the back brake; I had that happen on a chopper once and it scared the brown stripe outta me. affraid
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  eidolon Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:43 pm

David Miller wrote:Sailbeer, Thanks for the reply, I will check the pins this moring and seee if that does the job. I like the feel of the tiree itself and the bike handles well with it, but the noise scares the hell out of meand I need two be able to ride two up and with a sidecar. Thanks again!
Dave

Hey David,

Were the pins the problem??
eidolon
eidolon

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-04-11

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire - Page 2 Empty Taxi tire for GL1500 Goldwing

Post  David Miller Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:50 pm

Yeppers they were the problem, I have about 1500 miles on this trip thru the Se riding two up with my side car on and Milo the wonder dog in it and have had no problem, Thanks again for the info. I think this is going to be a great tire, I have not noticed and change in gas milage and only about 100rpms difference from the oem tires. but that is better than when I had the Forenza on! I am still on the road in NC and will be heading down the Blue Ridge tomorrow to the Iron Horse Campground in Robbinsville, NC. I may even to the tail of the dragon again. I should be home in South FL next Monday and will give you another report. Ride safe!

David Miller

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  eidolon Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:41 pm

Enjoy the ride home!
If you get time when you get home could you get the section width and sidewall height ie aspect ratio? Also what is your rim width?
Thanks for the help!
eidolon
eidolon

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:43 pm

Yes PLEASE! I've been bugging for these two numbers since I first saw the tire. I'd also like the numbers off that Coker 550 if anyone has them.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire - Page 2 Empty taxi tire for the st1100

Post  George 99 Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:35 pm

Hi, folks, just signed up here. Several of the ST1100 riders are running a GL1500 rear wheel with the Formoza tire. Just a little shorter than our stock 160/70/17. This taxi tire sounds interesting, I like that it's narrower than the Formoza.

Wondering if any 1100 riders have tried it? I'm willing to take a gamble on it, tho, so will post my results.

Also, I'm running ABS so still have to figure out how to mount the ABS wing on a GL wheel.

George
in Kingman, AZ

George 99

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-07-18

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire - Page 2 Empty austone taxi tire

Post  dmerritt65 Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:32 pm

i tried this tire on my gl1500 it was to tall and rubbed on inner fender at top i was running 100 psi in my rear suspension which is progressive duel air shock type and even hitting a small bump in the road it rubbed also i was running 45 psi in tire with just me on bike while in curve the rear of bike was very wiggly i have remove this tire due to this but im going to try a lower profile next time if questions please ask
SaiBeer wrote:Reference: Goldwing GL1500 SE
New to the "Smart" Side. I am putting a GL1500 back together and noticed the rear tire will need replacing before I get it on the road. I want to go with CT, but do not like the idea of the "One-tire-one-brand" option currently staring at GL1500's.
I have got to ask - this is killing me (hopefully not literally). I have been trying to find an alternative to the Federal Formoza 175/60-16 due to its availability and due to its loss of nearly 1" seat height.
I found this unbelievable tough Dunlop tire (6-ply poy steel radial) on a vintage website available here in the US. It has almost the exact same height as the 160/80 - 16 that I am currently riding. The only real snag is the speed rating (Q - 99mph); but I suppose I will not be doing that speed for long without getting a ticket anyway.
Is anybody out there riding on this tire or has anyone at least tried it? Maybe even heard of it?
The website that has this tire in the US is:
http://www.universaltire.com/dunlop-tires/dunlop-radial-tires/175r16-austone-taxi-black.html
You can google it and find out more about the tire and how it came about (spec'ed by London taxi drivers). This is a one-time purchase kind of tire designed for +100,000 miles. It has got to have the hardest side walls of any car tire (except commerical truck tires) out there.
All feed back welcome.
[left]
dmerritt65
dmerritt65

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-03-14

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire - Page 2 Empty Austone taxi tire

Post  George 99 Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:00 pm

Haven't found a good source for this tire yet in the US. Any help?

Easy enuff to find in UK, about $75 + shipping. Don't know yet if anyone will ship tho.

Any help here?

George
Kingman, AZ

George 99

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire - Page 2 Empty Universal Vintag Tire, Hershey, PA

Post  George 99 Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:36 pm

Folks, just ordered from these guys this morning an Austone Taxi Tire. A little pricey (compared to the UK price) but also just got a FedEx shipping invoice, it's on it's way.

Mark Kunath and I are both doing the dark side on ST1100 ABS II with GL1500 rear wheel. Some machining necessary to add the ABS pulser ring but it's gonna work. More to come.

George
Sometimes in Kingman, AZ

George 99

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire - Page 2 Empty Austone taxi tar on my ST1100

Post  George 99 Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:56 am

Folks, got my Austone tar mounted on the ST yesterday, thanks to Mark for sending me the necessary spacers. To work correctly on the ST1100, the GL rear wheel must move 7/32" to the left. Necessary spacers are a simple farkle. Also necessary to grind some metal off the rear brake hanger. Y'all know what a car tar looks like on a bike so no pics really needed. What's more important functionally, the Austone is 6.44% larger in circumference which lowers the final drive ratio a noticeable amount. Wonder if that will affect gas mileage at reasonable speeds?

I've only ridden it 5 miles around the neighborhood, but already it feels just fine. The only place I noticed a diff. was on a ruff track across the new section of development out behind my house. large rocks and ruts.

Want to dispel a myth about this tar: it's not "6 ply sidewalls." It's 2 polyester plies in the sidewalls + 2 poly and 2 steel in the tread for a total of 6. Sidewalls are maybe more flexible than the Bridgestone 020M I just took off.

Running 40 lbs, feels fine.

Don't have the pulse ring for the ABS mounted yet, that will have to wait 'til I get to Minneapolis next week. I've ridden well over a 1/2 Million miles without ABS, another 2000 won't hurt (I hope! Shocked)

Also mounted a 130/70/18 Bridgestone Excedra on the front, one size up from stock. It seemed to "fall in" to a turn more quickly than the OEM size (maybe a function of making a Gold Wing turn) but paired with the taxi tar (added stability) all feels really good. Looking forward to my first real ride on Sunday to Byler's Amish Cafe in Black Rock Canyon, AZ. Leaving from there for Watertown, SD to pick up a new trailer then on to Minneapolis, Chicago, Indianapolis and Cincinnati.

I'll post a longer ride report while out 'n about during Sept. Attending the Indy GP next week and generally wondering around the midwest most of September so it's gonna get some miles soon.

George
Sometimes in Kingman, Arizon

George 99

Back to top Go down

Post  Fatboy Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:07 pm

George 99 wrote:Folks, got my Austone tar mounted on the ST yesterday, thanks to Mark for sending me the necessary spacers. To work correctly on the ST1100, the GL rear wheel must move 7/32" to the left. Necessary spacers are a simple farkle. Also necessary to grind some metal off the rear brake hanger. Y'all know what a car tar looks like on a bike so no pics really needed. What's more important functionally, the Austone is 6.44% larger in circumference which lowers the final drive ratio a noticeable amount. Wonder if that will affect gas mileage at reasonable speeds?

I've only ridden it 5 miles around the neighborhood, but already it feels just fine. The only place I noticed a diff. was on a ruff track across the new section of development out behind my house. large rocks and ruts.

Want to dispel a myth about this tar: it's not "6 ply sidewalls." It's 2 polyester plies in the sidewalls + 2 poly and 2 steel in the tread for a total of 6. Sidewalls are maybe more flexible than the Bridgestone 020M I just took off.

Running 40 lbs, feels fine.

Don't have the pulse ring for the ABS mounted yet, that will have to wait 'til I get to Minneapolis next week. I've ridden well over a 1/2 Million miles without ABS, another 2000 won't hurt (I hope! Shocked)

Also mounted a 130/70/18 Bridgestone Excedra on the front, one size up from stock. It seemed to "fall in" to a turn more quickly than the OEM size (maybe a function of making a Gold Wing turn) but paired with the taxi tar (added stability) all feels really good. Looking forward to my first real ride on Sunday to Byler's Amish Cafe in Black Rock Canyon, AZ. Leaving from there for Watertown, SD to pick up a new trailer then on to Minneapolis, Chicago, Indianapolis and Cincinnati.

I'll post a longer ride report while out 'n about during Sept. Attending the Indy GP next week and generally wondering around the midwest most of September so it's gonna get some miles soon.

George
Sometimes in Kingman, Arizon

Need to run it to 90+ mph to see if the soft sidewall will case a frontend head shake.
This seems to be a problem with 2 ply walls.
Keep us informed if this is a problem with this tire.....only one available to replace the Comtrac.
Fatboy
Fatboy

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  George 99 Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:26 pm

Oh, it will hit 90.

Every Honda I've ever owned (many) had demonstrated head shake at one time or another. Usually a 35-40 MPH.

This tire is spec'ed to 55 psi, I'm running 40 and it feels good. It's taller (80% aspect ratio) so need so be stiff enuff. I'll post back soon's I get'er out on the highway for a real run up.

George
Sometimes in Kingman, AZ

George 99

Back to top Go down

Post  rockyolson Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:21 pm

dmerritt65 wrote: i tried this tire on my gl1500 it was to tall and rubbed on inner fender at top i was running 100 psi in my rear suspension which is progressive duel air shock type and even hitting a small bump in the road it rubbed also i was running 45 psi in tire with just me on bike while in curve the rear of bike was very wiggly i have remove this tire due to this but im going to try a lower profile next time if questions please ask
SaiBeer wrote:Reference: Goldwing GL1500 SE
New to the "Smart" Side. I am putting a GL1500 back together and noticed the rear tire will need replacing before I get it on the road. I want to go with CT, but do not like the idea of the "One-tire-one-brand" option currently staring at GL1500's.
I have got to ask - this is killing me (hopefully not literally). I have been trying to find an alternative to the Federal Formoza 175/60-16 due to its availability and due to its loss of nearly 1" seat height.
I found this unbelievable tough Dunlop tire (6-ply poy steel radial) on a vintage website available here in the US. It has almost the exact same height as the 160/80 - 16 that I am currently riding. The only real snag is the speed rating (Q - 99mph); but I suppose I will not be doing that speed for long without getting a ticket anyway.
Is anybody out there riding on this tire or has anyone at least tried it? Maybe even heard of it?
The website that has this tire in the US is:
http://www.universaltire.com/dunlop-tires/dunlop-radial-tires/175r16-austone-taxi-black.html
You can google it and find out more about the tire and how it came about (spec'ed by London taxi drivers). This is a one-time purchase kind of tire designed for +100,000 miles. It has got to have the hardest side walls of any car tire (except commerical truck tires) out there.
All feed back welcome.
[left]
Austone taxi tire

Post George 99 on Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:00 pm
Haven't found a good source for this tire yet in the US. Any help?

Easy enuff to find in UK, about $75 + shipping. Don't know yet if anyone will ship tho.

Any help here?

rockyolson

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-08-28

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire - Page 2 Empty First Post - New Double Darkside on GL1500

Post  Andy Cote Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Dun Did Da Deed
Double Darkside, Dyna-bead
Cure Cancer? Cause Convulsions?
Can’t Complain
Cuz Chocolate Cookies Compliment Champagne

I installed an Austone Taxi tire with 3oz. Dynabeads and a Bridgestone Battleax rear on the front with lead weights. Read everything I could find, and all I can say is……

Ho hum.

My Michelin Pilots had exactly 13,000 miles. I tried to keep them at 41 psig using my cheap pencil gage. Suspension set at 28. Granted I’ve only been about 50 miles since the change, but they feel like new tires – nothing more, nothing less. Have 41 psig front, 51 psig rear and 50 in the suspension based on your recommendations. Yes, I’ve noticed it sits a little higher (ticked one antenna exiting the garage) and it seems to steer quicker than before (??) but both of these could have happened with new M/C tires and jacked up rear shock. I went over new pavement, rough old roads, steered for holes and cracks I normally would steer around, open runs up to 80mph, curvy back roads and even a steel deck bridge. If you had told me it had new Dunlops, I wouldn’t have argued with you. Generally under-whelming; satisfied but not worth all the hype. Cost about the same as Elite 3 or Venom. Hopefully it will live up to the longevity expectations. But I do like cookies.
Vader

By the way, I did the up and over method.

Andy Cote
Andy Cote

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-10-01

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire - Page 2 Empty Austone tar at 14,000 miles

Post  George 99 Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Sorry for the late report. Returned from my September trip two weeks ago, Austone tar showing nearly 14,000 miles. More than half gone, looking like maybe 20,000+ will be it's limit. Kind'a disappointed in the mileagebut the performance has been fine. At $175, it's not really an economic plus, but not needing to stop mid-trip for a replacement is good.

Got the GL-1500 wheel modified in Minneapolis after picking up a newer trailer in Watertown, SD. Trailer is down now for maintenance too.

Pics of the trip are here: [url=picasaweb.google.com/cattmando]picasaweb.google.com/cattmando[/url] and trip track is here: http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=39b94e836aa6246a9

Might go to the 175/60/16 next time, but definitely did see an MPG increase with the 6% taller Austone on my ST1100. Very Happy

George 99

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:10 pm

I would have hoped for better mileage than that, as my Comtrac has about the same, but with less wear, judging by eye.
I'd still run it tho; not about to go back to MT's. Even if I have to remodel my swingarm, there will be a CT back there forever.
I'll be watching for other mileage reports from others.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  George 99 Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:44 am

The Austone has several thousand miles to go but it won't make it much past 20K. Pics when new and now: first shows Abe's head down to the eyeball, second, his hair is above the rubber. Lots of wear in 13K miles. The tar now looks about like a new MC tar as far as tread depth. Very Happy

The 130/70/18 Exedra on the front is right at the wear bars, it was new at the same time.

George 99

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire - Page 2 Empty 175r16 austone Taxi Tire

Post  Rodsworth02 Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:31 pm

Hi, will this 175r16 Taxi Tire fit a 03 Wing and will it take speed ? Rodsworth

Rodsworth02

Registration date : 2012-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post  roadwarrior Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:47 pm

Has anyone put it on a GL1800 yet? Sounds very interesting. I run the Michelin RF now and a BT45 on the front

roadwarrior

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Wakko Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:34 am

Any updates?

Wakko

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Buckfarrack Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:58 am

Fella's...I know one thing,if you have a 1997 Goldwing 1500 SE, the Austone car tire is a no brainer!!!! I had doubts of putting a CT on my bike.Even after i bought it,i kept thinking about all these,wobble,rubbing,height problem,twistie riding,posts i read about and almost made me sell it before ever using MY OWN HEAD of how it performs.Well,use your own brain,but i will tell you one thing....I will NEVER put another motorcycle tire on the rear of my Goldwing.I absolutely love this Austone tire.It was made for this bike as far as i am concerned.Had a couple guys PM me and said,don't listen to the nay-sayers,you will really like it! They were exactly spot-on! I shouldn't say this,but i would STILL buy an Austone,even if it was 3X higher than the highest MC tire.You cannot make my MC find a tarline in the road,the RIDE is absoltelt amazing how smooth it is,and the traction when going aroung a corner with some loose gravel,makes it seem like the rocks are not even there.
All you have to do is put a zip-tie behind the battery box on both sides,of the FLAT molded part of the rear fender,to the horizontal frame bar under the engine,to pull the fender forward an 1/4" and it will NOT rub anywhere even with 20lbs in the shocks.That's all!!

I have to thank the fellers that findly assured me enough to give it a try.Best money i have ever spent on my bike!!!!

I have almost 1000 mIles on it and you can't tell it has been on the ground.

I NEED A NUMBER PLEASE!
Buckfarrack
Buckfarrack

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post  rrounds Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:17 am

Another tire that has worked very good is the Comtrac 185/75-16 its just a little shorter(1/3") than the 175/R16 Austone
http://www.tirefactory.net/comtrac.htm

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2