Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Invisible Biker

+12
jacksewell
lhodges1@sc.rr.com
Big Blue
Doc
quadancer
mat 60
BeHereNow
Badmoon
Robobiker
spud1800r
jedishon
starider
16 posters

Go down

Invisible Biker Empty Invisible Biker

Post  starider Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:56 pm

Ever since I started riding in the easy 70's I realized then that I had to beleive that no motorist could see me, ever.
So I have been riding defensively ever since like I was invisible.
They look right at me and move into my path. I'm onto them. I'm invisible and have avoided dozens of potential accidents. Cool
starider
starider

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Invisible Biker Empty Re: Invisible Biker

Post  jedishon Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:02 pm

I know what you mean, even the deer can't see me.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  spud1800r Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:46 pm

I was sitting in a pine grove behind my house and the whole herd didn't see me...142 lb. doe...yummy
Craig
spud1800r
spud1800r

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Invisible Biker Empty Invisible Biker

Post  starider Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:29 pm

Deer are a problem here in the Hill Country for bikers. We dont ride after dark here because of them. Many people put corn out for them. Some restaurants put out 100 lbs. of corn a day to attract them for thier guests. I even saw a flea collar on one of them.
Many a bikers have been killed or hurt as a result in colliding with them. Cool
starider
starider

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Invisible Biker Empty Deer

Post  Robobiker Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:21 am

Hello all. I may be a noobe here but not to riding.
I have come across a patented product that purports to improve safety with regards to deer. I have this product on my bike. I have been asked many times "does it really work?" Honestly, I don't know, I know that in the year I have had it on my bike I have thankfully not seen a deer! I still have and do fairly regularly see them in the cager. I live out in the country in south Georgia. Deer are very populous here, and are regular sights on the road side.

I failed to mention that this is not a whistle, This product is electric and purportedly works with the sonic waves it produces when turned on.
Smile Smile
The product I have is called the Hornet Deer Avoidance system.
Invisible Biker Hornetwhistle

It is available from several places: The manufacturer http://www.xp3hornet.com
or http://www.squadfitters.com/catalog/...-system-hornet
or http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/de...s&model_id=119

As always, stay alert, stay safe out there and enjoy the ride!!!

Last edited by Robobiker on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I neglected to mention that this is not a whistle)
Robobiker
Robobiker

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-12-22

http://www.vmcsatellite.com/?aid=311944

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:01 pm

I spoke to a LEO today and we discussed this as traffic was slowed due to a deer strike (pickup). He told me that an osculating headlight works the best. Have any of yall been told the same?

Just askin. Just thinkin.
Peace
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  BeHereNow Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:10 am

I live in deer country too, Appalachia. Some folks say the deer whistles work, some say wasted money.

Along with being invisible, I pass no parked cages. Every one is just waiting to pull out in front of me. I keep my eyeballs on the tires, to see if they are moving. Looking at the vehicle itself can fool you.

BeHereNow

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  mat 60 Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:08 pm

I had someone turn left into my path at 50 mph to weeks agow and I dont think thay saw me..Like said thay dont see us.....Hay..Is this a fourm that no one cares what one rides ??...Whill Im asking noobe stuff,,,,What is this riding on the darkside stuff?? hmmm
mat 60
mat 60

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:18 pm

LEO's don't use the deer whistles because it became apparent that the deer freeze for noise as well as headlights. The sonic number, I dunno.

I HATE those oscillating headlights. When one comes at me, if I don't notice it is constant, I think it's a biker signalling that cops are up ahead.
New riders I talk to I always tell the same thing:
1.) You are invisible
2.) never assume they won't pull out even after looking your way
3.) all cagers are out to get you.

My personal pet peeve, even for seasoned vets, is crowding the rear bumpers on a car.
When moving, you are invisible to those ahead on either side of that car. He may hate your kind and stomp the brakes too.
When stopped, two things: 1.) If you crowd the car ahead, the one behind you will almost always pull right up on your taillight. 2.) If some half stoned
teenage texting dropout hits the car behind you; you just became a meat sandwich.

Park well back and you are DEMANDING YOUR SPACE, as a registered motor vehicle on the highway and guess what? Most people will stay back from YOU! Always demand your space and if you are crowded, move away to another spot. They have a few pounds on you. hmmm
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:38 pm

Well said Quad!
Space is your friend... Even when riding in groups! Wink
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  mat 60 Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:43 pm

Sorry...

Last edited by mat 60 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
mat 60
mat 60

Back to top Go down

Post  spud1800r Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Yea Mat 60, all brands welcome DS is a car tire on the rear.
Craig
spud1800r
spud1800r

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post  mat 60 Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:06 pm

Well thank you ..Ride safe
mat 60
mat 60

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Blue Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:07 am

starider wrote:Ever since I started riding in the easy 70's I realized then that I had to beleive that no motorist could see me, ever.
So I have been riding defensively ever since like I was invisible.
They look right at me and move into my path. I'm onto them. I'm invisible and have avoided dozens of potential accidents. Cool

Smart point of view. Don't leave your safety in the hands of others.

Big Blue

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  lhodges1@sc.rr.com Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:17 pm

quadancer wrote:LEO's don't use the deer whistles because it became apparent that the deer freeze for noise as well as headlights. The sonic number, I dunno.

I HATE those oscillating headlights. When one comes at me, if I don't notice it is constant, I think it's a biker signalling that cops are up ahead.
New riders I talk to I always tell the same thing:
1.) You are invisible
2.) never assume they won't pull out even after looking your way
3.) all cagers are out to get you.

My personal pet peeve, even for seasoned vets, is crowding the rear bumpers on a car.
When moving, you are invisible to those ahead on either side of that car. He may hate your kind and stomp the brakes too.
When stopped, two things: 1.) If you crowd the car ahead, the one behind you will almost always pull right up on your taillight. 2.) If some half stoned
teenage texting dropout hits the car behind you; you just became a meat sandwich.

Park well back and you are DEMANDING YOUR SPACE, as a registered motor vehicle on the highway and guess what? Most people will stay back from YOU! Always demand your space and if you are crowded, move away to another spot. They have a few pounds on you. hmmm

Let me add to that, not only do I stop and give myself space but I make sure I am not dead center of the cage in front of me. I always pull to the extreme right or the left side. So even if the car behind me does hit me I am not crushed in between. I might get knocked off, but not crushed hopefully. I started doing this when a very good friend of mine got killed on his bike by a inattentative driver. I don't know, but I believe that he would have survived had he stopped to either side and the cage not drilled him dead center.

lhodges1@sc.rr.com

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:24 am

Absolutely. LEO Motorcops are instructed to point between the cars, and leave it in gear, to shoot between the cars if necessary. I'll go to neutral on a long light if I have maybe 3 cars behind me and feel safe at that point.
Also...
LIGHTS...LOTSA LIGHTS!!!
Invisible Biker Groundlights5
Ooh - gotta retake that one; have front fender lights now as well.

Last edited by quadancer on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  lhodges1@sc.rr.com Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:39 pm

Love the lots of lights idea. I have added a light bar, Kisan Pathblazer, and Kuryakyn triple whammy to my bike recently to help become more visable. Going LED soon and will also be adding some additional lights as time and money permits.

lhodges1@sc.rr.com

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:31 pm

just have mercy with them Trailblazers!!! Hadda guy come around a bend with those or some Carbon-Arc Searchlight type thingies just a-blazin' and I don't even think he could see my headlight as he lit up the southern hemisphere - I had to panic stop when I couldn't see where I was.
You wouldn't want me to catch up with you after that. That stuff gets me excited.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  jacksewell Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:31 am

One day I convinced myself that I was so doggone invisiable that I had this overwhelming desire to visit the girls shower room.

jacksewell

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Invisible Biker Empty Head light Mod

Post  mastermechanic Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:48 am

Thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. I've always felt the same way that I was invisible on the road. When I see someone ready to turn in front of me from the other direction, I swerve back and forth in my lane to catch their eye. Funny how all of a sudden they see you.
I also been running a Head Light Modulator on my bikes for the last 10 years. Saved my ass dozens of time!! My life is definitely worth $150.00 bucks. Yet I still don't hardly see any bikes that run them. I'm the only guy in my area that runs one. My buddies don't run one, but in Hi traffic areas they want me to take the lead! LOL!!

mastermechanic

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down

Invisible Biker Empty Invisible biker

Post  Dan Koich Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:51 am

A guy I ride with occasionally swears that having the motion from flags that are attached to the rear of his cycle makes his cycle more visible. I wear a blaze orange baseball cap almost all of the time when I'm riding. Friends have told me that it makes me considerably more visible.

Dan Koich

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:28 pm

I read somewhere that one of the reasons the morons pull out in front of us is the single headlight. There is a subconscious speed judgement that occurs as the approaching headlights of a car are seemingly getting farther apart. They have no instant recognition of speed when there is just one headlight; another reason I run my spots all the time in traffic. Loud horns are a fun thing too.
The English have a technique with a goofy name called the "Smidsey" move - you would do some weaving in your lane if you see a car on a side road possibly about to pull out on you: it makes you more visible and gives a bit more perception of your speed to them...providing their brain is functioning.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Invisible Biker Empty Invisible

Post  mpease Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:36 pm

As a long time rider (55 years give or take a few) I have come to realize that we riders may be our worst enemy. Dark bikes, dark clothes, helmets and not enough lights. I know that may not appeal to others and that is your choice. Two years ago I began to brighten up my riding clothes, Yellow helmet and jacket and bright yellow rain suit. Since that day I have noticed a dramatic decrease by nearly 70 % of the times cages begin to pull out. I now have about a car length behind me when stopped and more room on the highway except for that texting or cell phone nitwit that would not see you if you were riding naked and wrapped in flashing lights. Also the comment about watching the wheels of cars on side streets. I always watch the front wheel. You can see the smalles twitch. Great comments by everyone.
Keep the painted side up.
mpease
mpease

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post  fredintoon Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:18 pm

Badmoon wrote:I spoke to a LEO today and we discussed this as traffic was slowed due to a deer strike (pickup). He told me that an osculating headlight works the best. Have any of yall been told the same?

Hi Moon,
sorry about this but with your avatar hanging it's tongue out like that I can't resist the temptation.
No cop has ever asked me to osculate his headlamp. Whether an oscillating headlamp scares deer away or not is another question.

fredintoon

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down