Newby, 205/70/15 on a 2003S?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Newby, 205/70/15 on a 2003S?

Post  wilcoxks on Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:05 am

Hi, new to the board. To help get my speado a little closer and gear up alittle, I'd like to run a 205/70/15 on my 1800 2003S model. Thanks to all who have shared mods and tips here. I' ve been reading about going darkside for about a month. My rear Dunny is shot so it's time. I've ordered the 3M product to seal the spokes and the new bushings to install while I've got her tore down.Does anbody know of some one running this size GYTT. Stock shocks and I'm hopeing not to have to do any mods. Thanks in advance for info or sugestions. Doug

wilcoxks

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-09-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Newby, 205/70/15 on a 2003S?

Post  horseman8m on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:12 pm

are you running a 15" tire on your 1800?
I thought that the 1800's all had a 16" rims on them.
as far as correcting your speedometer it's a hit and miss as far as tire size goes.
I put a taller tire on my 1300C and the speedometer is still off by a few miles per hour at highway speeds.
I hear that the Speedohealer is the best way to fix the % off on the gauge.
good luck
Horse
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

15' rim and tire size

Post  wilcoxks on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:48 pm

Jonathan, yes the 1800S (spoke) have a 15' Rear rim. I believe it's the same rim as the 1300S. Thanks for your response. QUESTION? Do you think there's a corralation between sidewall height(the profile # like 70)and the wobble some complain about at higher speeds . I wander if we'd have better luck running a 60 profile. Shorter sidewall, maybe it would be more stable. I've read alot of threads on this forum and I think I see a trend. Your thoughts? Ride Safe ,Doug

wilcoxks

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsmobility on Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:33 am

wilcoxks wrote:Jonathan, yes the 1800S (spoke) have a 15' Rear rim. I believe it's the same rim as the 1300S. Thanks for your response. QUESTION? Do you think there's a corralation between sidewall height(the profile # like 70)and the wobble some complain about at higher speeds . I wander if we'd have better luck running a 60 profile. Shorter sidewall, maybe it would be more stable. I've read alot of threads on this forum and I think I see a trend. Your thoughts? Ride Safe ,Doug

When you mention a high speed wobble do you mean a vibration? There's a good chance you're running into out of round tires. If you're buying the tires at a tire shop, you should have them mount the tire on a car rim and put it on the spin balancer first, while you watch. If there is a visible hop in the tire, you should have them get you another one.

Some of the tire shop managers I've worked with would be glad to do this for you at no cost, but others will balk at the idea. If they aren't willing to demonstrate that the tire you're getting is well made, you probably should find another shop to do business with anyway.

You'd be amazed how many tires come from the factory out of round. I have never seen a brand of tire that didn't occassionally produce very bad tires, including Michelin and BFG. I'd better get on my asbestos suit before I say this, but in the industry, Goodyear are actually notorious for square tires.
Oldsmobility

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

out of round

Post  wilcoxks on Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:50 pm

Jonathon, thanks for the advice . I'll try yo get the tire checked out first. Thanks, Doug

wilcoxks

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top