Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First MC only vacation tips/ideas etc

+2
gstanfield
Toasted_311
6 posters

Go down

First MC only vacation tips/ideas etc Empty First MC only vacation tips/ideas etc

Post  Toasted_311 Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:00 pm

Ok..finally getting to take a vacation with some friends on the bikes. Just the guys and 5-6 days of riding.

We want to head west, hit the Grand Canyon, head up to Denver, then come home via Dodge City and such.

Plan on camping most of the time, most likely make it to Albubuergue the first day, yes...it's a long way but all I-40 and gets close to where we want to be for most of it.

Other than a good seat, plenty of rest, water, proper gear, tools/tire repair and cell phone what can you recommend?

Plan on seeing the Grand Canyon, The Petridfied(sp?) forest, Mile high city(have friends there) and Dodge City. Any other places along the way we should see.

I know we won't be far from Vegas when at the Canyon...trying to get them to want to hit Vegas instead of Denver. Twisted Evil
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-12-14

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

First MC only vacation tips/ideas etc Empty Re: First MC only vacation tips/ideas etc

Post  gstanfield Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:14 pm

The absolute best advice I can give is to plan on only riding 5-6 hours a day max and then you'll have plenty of extra time left over for sidetracks and anything along the way that someoine in teh group wants to see. Leave things loose and flexible and remember that it doesn't hurt the group to sidetrack just because one personw wants to see something. Don't require everyone to agree to something just to do it,. let each person have their own moment along the way.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

First MC only vacation tips/ideas etc Empty Re: First MC only vacation tips/ideas etc

Post  Muntz Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:37 pm

The Canyon is breathtaking. I dont think there are any public roads that allow you to go down in it. There are several different viewing sites around the rim. If you eat at McDonalds at the canyon be prepared for extreme sticker shock. Shocked
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:13 pm

Toasted,

Be sure you call your credit card company and tell them where you will be going. Some see a bunch of purchases like that in a couple of states real fast...the cancel any more purchases till they contact you and you are on the road.

So do it ahead of time and less hassles.

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:38 pm

twin1300 wrote:Toasted,

Be sure you call your credit card company and tell them where you will be going. Some see a bunch of purchases like that in a couple of states real fast...the cancel any more purchases till they contact you and you are on the road.

...................bobby

Hadn't thought of that. Good idea.
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:36 am

Toasted_311 wrote:
twin1300 wrote:Toasted,

...................bobby

Hadn't thought of that. Good idea.
+1
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  PopsVTX Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:00 pm

Sounds like a long but not boring trip. All good advice so far especially the credit card tip. Try to squeeze in the Four Corners area; maybe on your way back from the Canyon. Pretty awesome and some great road between there and Denver. Vegas is always nice but there is so much to see to on a road trip it would be hard for me to justify squeezing Vegas into a bike road trip. Next time I go to Sin City guess it would be good to rent a bike and see the sites outside the city.

Whatever you decide; be safe, have fun, and take plenty of pictures to post here.
PopsVTX
PopsVTX

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:34 am

PopsVTX wrote:Sounds like a long but not boring trip. All good advice so far especially the credit card tip. Try to squeeze in the Four Corners area; maybe on your way back from the Canyon. Pretty awesome and some great road between there and Denver. Vegas is always nice but there is so much to see to on a road trip it would be hard for me to justify squeezing Vegas into a bike road trip. Next time I go to Sin City guess it would be good to rent a bike and see the sites outside the city.

Whatever you decide; be safe, have fun, and take plenty of pictures to post here.

Only thing I didn't see was a camera. You will want plenty of pictures.
Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down