Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to check to see the maximum tire size to fit your bike

+5
Mikeyger
VTX JOE
BoomerBob
gstanfield
horseman8m
9 posters

Go down

How to check to see the maximum tire size to fit your bike Empty How to check to see the maximum tire size to fit your bike

Post  horseman8m Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:15 am

How to check to see the maximum tire size to fit your bike
Doesn't matter make or model.

If you are going to try and switch to a wider tire or a little taller tire then you have now , and want to see if it will fit without mods try this.
Buy some kids modeling clay (dollar-tree $1.).
Roll out a 1" thick (hotdog shape) piece , about 12 " long and press it to your tire from rim to rim, tape if necessary.
How to check to see the maximum tire size to fit your bike TireClay-01

Get on your bike, and your wife on the back and roll the bike back and forth , make sure you don't run over the clay.
Then get off the bike and look where the clay is dented or scraped and measure the height from the tire to the thinnest part of the clay.
How to check to see the maximum tire size to fit your bike TireClay-03
Again both of you get back on and roll the bike so the clay is at the point of closest contact and jump up and down.
Then check again to see if the clay is distorted and measure the height from the tire to the thinnest part of the clay.
Lets say that you have 25"tall tire and the dent on the clay is at the top of the tire and is just over 1/2" thick, and you double it (top and bottom) and you now can go 1" taller , or a 26" tall tire.
But if you have a tire 6"wide and the dent is on the one side and is 3/4", and no dent on the other side,, you now can go to a tire just a little smaller then 7.5" wide.
I know these are not very good examples but you can get the idea of how to find your max tire measurement.

good luck,
Horse

Last edited by horseman8m on Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

How to check to see the maximum tire size to fit your bike Empty Re: How to check to see the maximum tire size to fit your bike

Post  gstanfield Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:22 am

Good idea (as always)

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

How to check to see the maximum tire size to fit your bike Empty Re: How to check to see the maximum tire size to fit your bike

Post  horseman8m Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:13 pm

new pictures added
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  BoomerBob Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:47 pm

Thank you so much George.

I'm looking forward to going to the Darkside.

My bike is on the Darkside anyway so this would be a huge plus!!!

How to check to see the maximum tire size to fit your bike 2009-03-08--13-06-14-1

BoomerBob

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Thank George
Smile Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

How to check to see the maximum tire size to fit your bike Empty maximum tire size to fit your bike

Post  VTX JOE Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:27 pm

easy way to check, but Im thinking of going to a 205/65R16 on a vtx 1800 R. may not work as well moving to a flat faced tire Question

VTX JOE

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:38 pm

bump---- to check if the tire will fit.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikeyger Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:46 pm

I ordered a dunlope 195-60-16 sp5000 and it should be here today I will let you know how it goes.

Mikeyger

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2011-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Mikeyger wrote:I ordered a dunlope 195-60-16 sp5000 and it should be here today I will let you know how it goes.

take pics
thanks
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:16 pm

I call it the "Clay Turd Trick", mostly good for overhead clearance. Belt and fenders you can measure.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  tenpoun1 Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:34 pm

That's a really sweet idea man. Great thinking for sure!

tenpoun1

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-11-29

http://www.bestsnowboardreviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hurg Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:35 am

Ohhh. Nice. Ive been trying to figure out if my 85 shadow 500 can accept a wider tire. Now I'll be able to figure it out. Thx.

Hurg

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Screaming500 Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:53 pm

Hurg wrote:Ohhh. Nice. Ive been trying to figure out if my 85 shadow 500 can accept a wider tire. Now I'll be able to figure it out. Thx.

Hurg, I have an 86 Shadow 500. "basically same bike" Do you have a ct on it? And what brand/size did you go with? I didn't even look cause I didn't think I could get a tire skinny enough for it.
Screaming500
Screaming500

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down