Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disappointing tire mileage

4 posters

Go down

Disappointing tire mileage Empty Disappointing tire mileage

Post  RonK Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:37 pm

--
I was planning a trip in a month and was deciding whether or not to change out my front Metzeler 880. It had 6/32nds new and 2/32nds now after 16,000 miles. So I'm getting about 20,000 if I change out at 1/32nd tread depth.

My rear Metz 880 had about 13,000 and would have gone to 15,000 with 1/32nd left. My Dunlop Sport 5000 ct has about 4,000 and has worn 2/32nds and should give me about 18,000 on wearout. ????? What the ding dong is going on? I expected better mileage than that. Both tires cost about the same, so I don't save there. I like the safety and stability of the ct and I've never had an issue. I run a few lbs. less (38.5 vs. 42 lbs.) but that feels right when riding and I don't have any real bulge on the road contact sidewall area.

I found another tire at www.tirerack.com but reviews for auto use showed poorer tire mileage satisfaction than with my Dunlop. I am somewhat limited due to having a 16" rim. I have spokes and so run a tube. With me on the bike, I am probably at about 1,000 lbs., but don't run fast usually.

Any thoughts? Evil or Very Mad

RonK

RonK

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Disappointing tire mileage Empty Re: Disappointing tire mileage

Post  Toasted_311 Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:15 pm

I don't see why you couldn't run a 205/60/16 or even a 205/65/16 on there instead of the 195/60/16...more choices or is the fender that narrow?
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-12-14

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RonK Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:37 pm

--
For one thing, I've only got a 3" wide rim. This limits me. I have about 1/4th inch clearance on the sides now and only that as the rim squeezes in the sidewalls slightly. Stock is a 150/80/16.

RonK

RonK

Back to top Go down

Post  marine-mp Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:27 am

Ronk,
18,000 miles doesn't sound to awful bad, when considering the car tire prolly hasn't cupped at 4,000 miles. On the Gold Wing, the back M/C tire starts cupping and singing in the corners at 3-4,000 miles and trashed at about 10,000 affraid . I don't know what the treadwear rating is on the Dunlop Sport 5000, but you may consider, what I, (if that means anything!!!) consider to be the "best" car tire going, with m/c characteristics. Kuhmo Runflat 195/55-16 Ecsta EST. Check my signature. Semper-fi Mike

marine-mp

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  RonK Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:55 am

--
Marine...,
On your suggested tire, the diameter is even smaller than the 195/60's. Also, the weight capacity with your 32 lbs. would be too low. I would get cupping on anything if I used that low of a tire pressure. Tire pressure is the main reason for weight capacity in any tire.

I just today increased my pressure up to 42 and will see how it feels/wears.

RonK

RonK

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:01 am

RonK wrote:--

My rear Metz 880 had about 13,000 and would have gone to 15,000 with 1/32nd left. My Dunlop Sport 5000 ct has about 4,000 and has worn 2/32nds and should give me about 18,000 on wearout. ????? What the ding dong is going on? I expected better mileage than that. Both tires cost about the same, so I don't save there. I like the safety and stability of the ct and I've never had an issue. I run a few lbs. less (38.5 vs. 42 lbs.) but that feels right when riding and I don't have any real bulge on the road contact sidewall area.

Any thoughts? Evil or Very Mad

RonK

RonK,

I don't know about you, but since I went to the darkside. I ride twice as hard as I used to because the car tire can take it, plus I use more rear brake now when stopping also. So getting an estimated 18,000 miles and feeling a ton safer about safety would be a plus for me. As hard as I ride now, I couldn't go back to a mt, because I would kill myself!

Maybe you can go back to the mt and ride it like a car tire and see what kind of mileage you get and give us a report on mileage and handling? Don't ask me because I aint going back....... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing But it would be good to know.

..............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  RonK Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:57 pm

--
Bobby,

As a matter of fact, today I went on a 200 mile ride I've done a number of times. This time I took all the turns in a higher gear and faster. It's the first time I've done this run since I've crossed over, so I would have to say, yes, I drive harder now.

So maybe that has something to do with it????

RonK

RonK

Back to top Go down

Post  marine-mp Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:14 pm

Ronk,
The speedometer probably would be off a tad bit more with the 195/55-16, as you stated. I, myself, have a difference of 3-4 MPH slower than the speedometer is showing. Ma Honda always had a problem with that from the git-go on the Gold Wing, even with the M/C tires. I just add 3-4 mph to what-ever the speedometer is reading. When I have the GPS on board, I use it to get the spot-on reading. The engine tells my ears how fast I'm going almost to the "T" !!!! In regards to the 32 PSI tire pressure, I have to respectfully disagree with you on cupping issue. I would say the Gold Wing weights in at over the v-twin. With me and my wife and trailer hooked up, it would definately be way over what you would have. The run-flat is a different breed of tire and it is fully capable of good handling and long-life at 32 psi. The majority of the Gold Wing riders who are running a run-flat c/t use between 30-34 psi. Also with the run-flat you can have a flat tire in the middle of a ride and ride it out to a repair facility. Added benefit. Having run c/t's for a while now, I have never had the cupping issue and got 17,000 out of my last Continental Pro-Contact Run-Flat and still had about 4,000 miles left on it. For a heavy bike I'd say that was pretty good milage. I only changed it out because the Kuhmo was getting such good reviews, I wanted to try it. I'm glad I did. I expect to get at least that and more from this tire. Being that the Dragon's Tail is in my back-yard, the c/t does see a lot of it!!! It hasn't let me down yet. It performs with the greatest of ease and my wife agrees that there will NEVER be another M/C tire on the Wing's 6. Anyways, just thot I'd shed a little more light on the subject. JMHO. Thanks and Semper-fi Mike

marine-mp

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down