Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

darkside tire choice, need feedback....

+5
twin1300
DEFREEZER
Hollywood
BigDarkster
footprintsinconc
9 posters

Go down

darkside tire choice, need feedback.... Empty darkside tire choice, need feedback....

Post  footprintsinconc Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:18 pm

i am planning on going to the darkside shortly here. i've got about 11k on the bike now and the stock dunny is done.

here are my choices that i have narrowed down for my 1300R --205/70R15:

1. general grabber uhp
2. goodyear triple tread (GTT)
3. mich hydroedge

i love the distinct pattern on the grabber. in a few threads i have read that GTT is softer than the general grabber and rides better.

what i am looking for is for you is to describe what your darkside tire feels like and how you would rate the feels (softenss, smoothness in ride, comfort, traction in wet, cornering, etc) of the tires above. if you have had multiple different tire, your opinion on what you noticed to be the difference between the tires you had is greatly appreciated.

for those who have gone with the general grabber, do you wish you had gone with another tire?

lastly, what did you use to balance your tire --> beads OR weights?
thanks!
footprintsinconc
footprintsinconc

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

darkside tire choice, need feedback.... Empty Re: darkside tire choice, need feedback....

Post  BigDarkster Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:54 am

goodyear triple tread (GTT)

It was my choice and I am very happy with it!

BigD
BigDarkster
BigDarkster

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Back to top Go down

darkside tire choice, need feedback.... Empty Re: darkside tire choice, need feedback....

Post  Hollywood Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:49 am

I went with a cooper CS4 Like it alot. I got it just for the side wall design LOL

But I like the GTT tread pattern better. I may switch to that, but by the time I need a new tire, I might find something better

Hollywood

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  footprintsinconc Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:29 pm

well, i just got back from ordering a general grabber uhp. they say it will arrive on wed next week.
footprintsinconc
footprintsinconc

Back to top Go down

Post  DEFREEZER Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:00 pm

i ride on the Grabber, I like it alot and would not have a problem putting another one on when this on wears out. I have over 17k on it so far and it still looks great. i would think that it does ride a little harsher than some of the other passenger car tires because it is a light truck/sport tire. So the side walls may be alittle stiffer than the others. I just had the pleasure of riding through a tornado warning yesterday and i must say the grabber did well. I had to stop several times to remove limbs from me and the bike that were hiting me, but the grabber shined when i had to go through ditches and fields to get home because of all the trees blocking the roads. I must admit, it was unnerving to hear the tornado sirens going off while sitting at a red light. And the cross wind was unbeliveable, if i had not been just a mile from home i would have tried to find a place to hide.
DEFREEZER
DEFREEZER

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:08 pm

DEFREEZER wrote:i ride on the Grabber, I like it alot and would not have a problem putting another one on when this on wears out. I have over 17k on it so far and it still looks great. i would think that it does ride a little harsher than some of the other passenger car tires because it is a light truck/sport tire. So the side walls may be alittle stiffer than the others. I just had the pleasure of riding through a tornado warning yesterday and i must say the grabber did well. I had to stop several times to remove limbs from me and the bike that were hiting me, but the grabber shined when i had to go through ditches and fields to get home because of all the trees blocking the roads. I must admit, it was unnerving to hear the tornado sirens going off while sitting at a red light. And the cross wind was unbeliveable, if i had not been just a mile from home i would have tried to find a place to hide.

Wow.....glad you are safe!

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:32 pm

That is anexperience that needs to be told in better detail. I have ridden in some high winds during Gustov last year but nothing like a tornado. Glad you ae safe.

I hear the GTT is the way to go but I am runnin a Toyo proxie T1R on the back of my F.
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:50 pm

You know I don't mind the rain or even high winds but,,, when the lighting starts striking all around me then i have to look for someplace to get out of it's way.
Glad your safe.
Horse

Last edited by horseman8m on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  hasbro56 Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:31 pm

I put a Michelin Hydroedge 205/70-15 on my 1300R about 1000 miles ago. I haven't really found the sweet spot yet, but have run at 42 and 40 lbs so far. Ride is smooth, grip is good both wet and dry, but it does follow the freeway grooves a bit. I have had to almost lock up the rear tire avoiding cagers twice and both times it stayed behind me and stopped in shorter distance than the ME880 did. My son put an Altimax on his M50 a week ago and said it feels almost the same as stock.

hasbro56

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post  willdc Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:11 am

The grabber is a good tire, but much harder sidewalls, stiffer ride. I had one and it bubbled on the side. I was going to replace it with the same thing, but couldn't find one, so I went to a triple tread. Very happy with the triple tread, its softer which is great on these terrible virginia highways, and traction is the same as the grabber. Also the triple tread is an 80,000 mile tire, so I expect a ridiculously long life on the bike.
When this one goes, I will replace it with another triple tread...

willdc

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

darkside tire choice, need feedback.... Empty thread wear indicator

Post  footprintsinconc Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:30 pm

alright, thanks for the replies guys! i really appreciate you all chimming in.

now here is my question, the thread wear number on the grabber is like 3XX but on the hydro + GYTT is like 7XX. the lower that number the softer it is. if that was true then the grabber should yeild a smoother ride correct?

now after reading your comments, i think i have the answer to my question above. please tell me if i am correct:

the ride on a grabber is a little harder compared to the GYTT or hrydoedge, only because the side walls are stiffer since they are a light trunck type of tire. however, the tread compound is softer and will wear out faster than the GYTT or the hydroedge.

what do you think?
footprintsinconc
footprintsinconc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down