Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harbor Frieght tire changer for motorcycles

+3
wayne
Daniel Meyer
wolfpack72
7 posters

Go down

Harbor Frieght tire changer for motorcycles Empty Harbor Frieght tire changer for motorcycles

Post  wolfpack72 Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:53 pm

Has anyone used the Harbor freight motorcycle tire changer? wonder if they work ok?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42927
wolfpack72
wolfpack72

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-01-01

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Harbor Frieght tire changer for motorcycles Empty Re: Harbor Frieght tire changer for motorcycles

Post  Daniel Meyer Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:30 am

I have one. Basically, it sucks.

I only use the bead breaker now, then I toss the rim on a piece of carpet in the driveway and go at it with tire irons.

The clamps are designed wrong (backwards in fact) and the dismount bar is not really suitable. It can be fixed/made to work with significant modifications.

I'm going to buy this one as soon as I get around to organizing things again:
http://www.nomartirechanger.com/06ClassicModel.html
Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-12-25

http://lifeisaroad.com

Back to top Go down

Harbor Frieght tire changer for motorcycles Empty Re: Harbor Frieght tire changer for motorcycles

Post  wayne Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:10 am

Im going to go along with Daniel on that, Mine ends up on a peice of carpet on the shop floor also.
But I have lots of cpt so my bike gets new cpt about once a month, or when it gets dirty. Very Happy

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  trell Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:10 pm

Daniel Meyer wrote:I have one. Basically, it sucks.

I only use the bead breaker now, then I toss the rim on a piece of carpet in the driveway and go at it with tire irons.

The clamps are designed wrong (backwards in fact) and the dismount bar is not really suitable. It can be fixed/made to work with significant modifications.

got one set up in the shop ain't worth a plug nickel for m/c tire.
ok for dirt bikes and 4c wheelers / lawnmowers

trell

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  trell Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:10 pm

Daniel Meyer wrote:I have one. Basically, it sucks.

got one set up in the shop ain't worth a plug nickel for m/c tire.
ok for dirt bikes and 4c wheelers / lawnmowers

trell

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  willdc Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:33 am

Curious about the clamps being backwards... From the pics on the web, it looks like it would work.
I swapped my tire on a piece of carpet last time, and I am seriously thinking about buying a tire changing stand this time. Trying to do it without a stand sucked!!!

willdc

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:35 am

willdc wrote:Curious about the clamps being backwards... From the pics on the web, it looks like it would work.
I swapped my tire on a piece of carpet last time, and I am seriously thinking about buying a tire changing stand this time. Trying to do it without a stand sucked!!!

wildc,

+1 Changing a tire on the floor is going to suck. I got to think of something to do also. My little motorcycle shop around the corner that did my darksides and some others is now closed. Of course the good thing is I just put the 205 on and should last me at least two years before I need another one, so I got some time to decide what to do!

................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:23 am

Well... I have one and it's what I've been using for both changes now... my clamps are on correctly and seem to hold the rim just fine. I also have it mounted to my garage floor! that helps tremendously. so, all in all it does what I need it to do. break beads, dismount a tire, and remount a tire... guess it's doing what it's suppose too then?

I'm happy with it for now.... and since I've gone to CT's it will be used sparingly unless I'm helping buddies change their tires.

Just my experience though....

David W.
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  willdc Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:55 pm

Well, you still have the fronts to change fairly often... Smile

willdc

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down