Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm ready - any helpful hints?

4 posters

Go down

I'm ready - any helpful hints? Empty I'm ready - any helpful hints?

Post  Zym Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:37 pm

Ok, so after a 200 mi ride a couple days ago, I got to lookin' at my rear tire today.

Shocked

I couldn't believe I was riding around on a slick rear donut. Heck, it may as well have been glazed! I had even went so far as to check the tire pressure on it before I left - and yea it was a little low so I pumped it up. Had I known ........

Anyway, I refuse to buy another rear tire that I can't get 8k miles out of. So, I'm ready to convert and need any advice you guys can offer.

I've got a 2003 1800R. I shortened the rear shocks a couple years ago. Running hard bags. And, the kicker, I've got a hidden hitch installed that I really don't wanna lose. Right now, I'm running a stock 180 Metz on the rear. I've got very little clearance - less than 1/4" - between the bolts/nuts holding my hitch up and the tire. That with a total tire width of 6-7/8" - which equates to 174 mm - uh, right?

I'm guessing (hoping, actually) that I can modify the hitch to gain about 3/8" each side of the tire. If I can achieve that, any recommendations as to what size CT I need to be looking at?? Or if it's even feasible?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Zym

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

I'm ready - any helpful hints? Empty Re: I'm ready - any helpful hints?

Post  nodakbassmaster Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:02 pm

there's several member running hitches with their 205's... look at the info about the different profile heights to figure out which you want... don't sweat it, it can be done!
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  marang Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:00 am

Zym I seen some pics of how "Mike OK" made his hitch work with a ct. He cut/ground off the tabs on the inner fender bracket so the hitch was more flat on the brace and not resting on the tabs.

Also if you'd like to ride my scoot with a ct on it feel free to come on down ,and where I work Riverside Chevy has a tire machine that has attachments so it grabs the wheel on the rims outside edges...won't scratch. I can mount the tire for ya.
marang
marang

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Zym Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:19 pm

Hey Marang. That's just downright righteous of ya to offer me a CT test ride on your bike. I really appreciate the offers - mucho thanks!

But, I'll take your word for it on any handling issues - and everyone else's here too. After all, I think I'm in the right place for questions - right?? I ain't too skeered since I placed the CT troll on my ignore lists.

Smile

BTW, hope you had a good ride yesterday!

I guess what I really need are actual measured widths of a typical 195 or 205 installed on a cast wheel like mine so I know how much cutting/grinding etc to do to get clearance for the hitch. Reading just a little bit about CT applications, I was surprised to learn that the difference between say a 55 and 60 series translated into noticeable mph difference. I suppose I'll probably have to worry a little too about tire height since I shortened my shocks some..

Thanks!

Edit: and nodakbassmaster, because of your riveting , umm ... er, avatar, I can only visit this site now when my wife is away!

Last edited by Zym on Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : just gotta say it)

Zym

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  marang Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:18 pm

Ended up not riding yesterday...I was down on my back but did get out today. I'll get ya a measurement of my tire for ya.
marang
marang

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:42 pm

Hey Zym, Here's a formula you can use with tire mfg's specs for actual tire widths when mounted on your wheel. For every .5" of measuring rim width change, tire section width changes .2" Take my signature tire for example. The specs show overall or section width is 8.7" on a measuring rim of 6.50", so since my rim is only 5.00" wide, subtract .6" from tire width for end result of 8.1". I've found this formula to be very accurate. Good Luck Exclamation
Dan
Dan

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down