Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going darkside

+6
goodsgto
studdog
Steve-O
Dan
sam_henric
wb9uze
10 posters

Go down

Going darkside Empty Going darkside

Post  wb9uze Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:00 pm

Soon as the rear is done on the '06 1800C I'm planning on installing a Hydroedge 205/65-16. Anyone know who would install it if I take them the rim in the Indianapolis area or other???

wb9uze

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Going darkside Empty Re: Going darkside

Post  sam_henric Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:57 pm

My local Honda stealership installed mine Smile
sam_henric
sam_henric

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:30 pm

A car tire shop did mine, for free even because I bought the tire there, they gave me the best price also. If the shop does custom and mag wheels, most likely they have a machine with a soft jaw attachment that will work fine, mine was done right in front of me in less than 5 mins., and not a mark on it. They couldn't balance it, so I used dyna beads, or you could use a cycle shop for balance.
Dan
Dan

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:19 pm

sam_henric wrote:My local Honda stealership installed mine Smile

Al Lamb's installed your tire? Did you take the tire off before, or take the bike in?????
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  studdog Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:18 am

I was fixin to ask sam the same question. I had a tough time finding someone to mount mine. I thought I had checked with Al Lamb but maybe not. Who did yours Sam?
studdog
studdog

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:38 am

studdog wrote:I was fixin to ask sam the same question. I had a tough time finding someone to mount mine. I thought I had checked with Al Lamb but maybe not. Who did yours Sam?

There's a custom cycle shop in Frisco that will do them that's closer to you. $25 wheel only, $45 if they have to pull the wheel (make sure they grease the splines when they put it back on!).
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  sam_henric Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:20 pm

Yea...Al Lamb's did it...I know it was expensive compared to other places, but I got tired of looking around town Mad ...I took off the old tire and told them it was for a drag bike...they didn't ask any questions cheers ...they mounted the new tire and had me on my way in about 10 mins...i paid $40 Neutral
sam_henric
sam_henric

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post  goodsgto Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:19 pm

Wal-Mart mounted my tire. I purchased the tire from them and asked them to mount it - No extra charge and it was the first one they did..... Go ask and the have to use their mag machine that has four hooks to hold the wheel but they could only use three of them on my "C" wheel. Took about 10 minutes and they were all proud to do it.... Just buddy up to them and tell them you have a lot of biker friends that will come to them to mount car tires on their bikes.......

See the photos in my signature line - Hydro Edge same as you are considering....
goodsgto
goodsgto

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:15 pm

sam_henric wrote:Yea...Al Lamb's did it...I know it was expensive compared to other places, but I got tired of looking around town Mad ...I took off the old tire and told them it was for a drag bike...they didn't ask any questions cheers ...they mounted the new tire and had me on my way in about 10 mins...i paid $40 Neutral

There you go! I like the way you stink....... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The old drag bike trick works great! Congrats on your darkside.......................Cool

Give a write up after you get some miles on it! Plus, play with your air pressure to get what you like! Enjoy!

.......................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  wb9uze Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:45 pm

Dan wrote:A car tire shop did mine, for free even because I bought the tire there, they gave me the best price also. If the shop does custom and mag wheels, most likely they have a machine with a soft jaw attachment that will work fine, mine was done right in front of me in less than 5 mins., and not a mark on it. They couldn't balance it, so I used dyna beads, or you could use a cycle shop for balance.
I presume you take the brake rotor off before the tire is mounted...y/n??

wb9uze

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:57 pm

wb9uze wrote:
Dan wrote:A car tire shop did mine, for free even because I bought the tire there, they gave me the best price also. If the shop does custom and mag wheels, most likely they have a machine with a soft jaw attachment that will work fine, mine was done right in front of me in less than 5 mins., and not a mark on it. They couldn't balance it, so I used dyna beads, or you could use a cycle shop for balance.

Mine was done by one man shop. took the wheel off the bike and took it and new tire in. Didn't have to take the rotor off....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:06 pm

wb9uze wrote:
No, rotor stays on, wheel mounts on machine rotor side up. The machine my local tire guy used has 3 or 4 steel jaws on the horizontal base that he capped with nylon/teflon soft jaw boots that grab the wheel on the bottom outside edge of the rim. The tire removal/install tool stays stationary while the base or table turns the wheel into it, pretty slick, I've seen them in many shops, nothing new.
Dan
Dan

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  wb9uze Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:18 pm

Thanks.

wb9uze

Back to top Go down

Post  caper58 Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:38 am

I put the Hydroedge 205/65-16 with Dyno-Beads on my 03 1800C 9K miles ago and the tire still looks like new.... but I did have a hard time getting someone to mount it. I finally had to take off the wheel and take it to the MC shop where they agreed to mount it (rotor stayed on) if I signed a wavier and told them it was for my wheel-barrow. Go figure..... Anyway I have found a couple of tread patterns I would like to try but I think it going to be a long while before I need to change the tire. I will never ever mount a MT on my bike again!!
caper58
caper58

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:02 am

caper58 wrote: I will never ever mount a MT on my bike again!!

You are NOT alone on this statement!......................... Very Happy

.................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  caper58 Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:52 pm

The one thing that puzzles me is why so many think that putting a car tire on your bike is so bad, that it will somehow make it impossible or dangerous to ride. I have been in the agreements and discussions so many times before that now I just hand them my key and say "the proof's there, get on it!" but very few will. I have 9K miles and counting on the CT and to me the bike rides better than before, it's hard to explain but the bike just feels more solid or something.....
caper58
caper58

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:00 am

caper58 wrote:The one thing that puzzles me is why so many think that putting a car tire on your bike is so bad, that it will somehow make it impossible or dangerous to ride. I have been in the agreements and discussions so many times before that now I just hand them my key and say "the proof's there, get on it!" but very few will. I have 9K miles and counting on the CT and to me the bike rides better than before, it's hard to explain but the bike just feels more solid or something.....

I have 28k on a car tire. yeah 2 differnt tires ...... totally different tires. 28k and that is still gonna be the death of me. Not the idiot cagers i face every day, not the road hazzards we all face every day... not the "every facet "of your simple life ..hazzards..... no it is the car tire that is gonna kill me..... Yeah well FU%k em..... enjoy the ride,

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:07 am

smokey2255 wrote:
caper58 wrote:The one thing that puzzles me is why so many think that putting a car tire on your bike is so bad, that it will somehow make it impossible or dangerous to ride. I have been in the agreements and discussions so many times before that now I just hand them my key and say "the proof's there, get on it!" but very few will. I have 9K miles and counting on the CT and to me the bike rides better than before, it's hard to explain but the bike just feels more solid or something.....

I have 28k on a car tire. yeah 2 differnt tires ...... totally different tires. 28k and that is still gonna be the death of me. Not the idiot cagers i face every day, not the road hazzards we all face every day... not the "every facet "of your simple life ..hazzards..... no it is the car tire that is gonna kill me..... Yeah well FU%k em..... enjoy the ride,

See you out there
Smokey

The above post was made between drunken staggering trips .... tripping over the grandsons kawi battery powered 4 wheeler and around my 1986 suzuki madura (in the spare bedroom). Yep ... aint life friggin cool. Next round is on me...... where ever we meet.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content