Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuse Box Install on a VT1100C

2 posters

Go down

Fuse Box Install on a VT1100C Empty Fuse Box Install on a VT1100C

Post  Steve-O Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:44 am

I got a Garmin Zumo 450 for christmas and went to mount it. My battery box was getting crowded with ad ons, so I thought I'd clean things up while I had the bike torn apart. Here is how I installed a fuse box along with my GPS.
=================================================
Installing a Garmin Zumo 450 GPS onto a 2004 Honda Spirit 1100. I used all of the hardware out of the box. Added a Fusebox for power to the GPS as well as other appliances. Ran a Headset extension wire to the seat area as well.

Fusebox was a generic model from O’Reilly Auto Parts. Bought the wire, fuses, and connectors there also. Used 20 amp fuses and 14guage wire all around. This will handle up to 30 amps.

Bought a 6’ stereo cord extension and a new set of ear buds from radio shack. Extension was “gold” for audio quality. It was going through some areas that might generate some interference, so I went with a premium extension. Ear buds are pretty standard.
=============================================
Fuse Box Install on a VT1100C 01-Garmin-Mounted
Here is the mount on the handlebar. Need to touch up the hardware, but looks pretty nice and is in a good, visible, workable location. Power comes out the right. Headset wire (not installed yet) comes out of the left. Threaded the wires down the handle bars, through the front of the bike, under the gas tank, to the seat area.

Fuse Box Install on a VT1100C 02-Pinched-Wire
Found a pinched wire (from factory) while I was in the seat area. This may have been the cause of a mysterious power outage that I had awhile back. I fixed this and rerouted the wire under the frame bar. The seat comes in contact with this bar and pinched this wire over time.

Fuse Box Install on a VT1100C 03-Pinched-Wire
Another view of the pinched wire as it was when I first removed the seat. This is a ground wire, so there was not a danger of it arching, but if pinched enough, it would not complete a necessary circuit. I have no idea what this goes to. The ground lug just below will be used for the “universal” ground for all of my appliances that use the fuse box for power.

Fuse Box Install on a VT1100C 04-Battery-Before
Here is the battery box before. There are two additional connections for the Tourmaster heated jacket and the battery tender. These will be moved to the fuse box. One power wire will come from the battery to the fuse box and power all appliances.

Fuse Box Install on a VT1100C 05-Battery-After
Battery afterward. Note the blue power wire. This is 14 gauge wire which should handle up to 30 amps. I may have to upgrade this wire if more devices are added. But the battery area is cleaned up and simplified. Closes much easier now!

Fuse Box Install on a VT1100C 06-Wiring
No wiring diagram, but here are all the components. GPS power and headset wires coming from the GPS mount.
Headset and jacket power dongles. These hang near the petcock.
Battery tender dongle. This is not shown, but hangs just under the frame.
Ground. This is the universal ground that all appliances will use. It was an existing bolt into the frame.
Blue power wire coming from the battery over to the fuse box. When I upgrade the gauge, I’ll move the wire away from the air intake opening.

Fuse Box Install on a VT1100C 07-FuseBox-CloseUp
Close up of fuse box. I am using the toolbox compartment. Tools now go in my saddle bags. The fuse box has one power wire coming in. It’s not shown at the bottom. There is room for 6 appliances. All have 20 amp fuses right now, but I may change this. I left the in line fuses that came with the appliances. If the fuse box area becomes crowded, I can remove these, shorten the wires, and insert the proper size fuse in the fuse box. You can see I have two available fuses as one is being used to secure the fuse box. I could always find another way to secure the fuse box if I needed this.

Fuse Box Install on a VT1100C 08-FuseBox
More general view of the fuse box. It’s fairly clean.

Fuse Box Install on a VT1100C 10-Fuse-Box
Here is a bike view with the seat back on. I can easily get to the fuse box to replace fuses if necessary, but would need to take everything off again if I needed to add an appliance.

Fuse Box Install on a VT1100C 11-Right-Side
Here it is all closed up.

Fuse Box Install on a VT1100C 12-Garmin-Mounted
And the GPS all mounted up. I’d better like the location because I would have to take everything off again to move it (lengthen the wires)!

All told, the project went off well and everything worked the first time. No shorts and no additional trips to the hardware store! I tend to rate a projects success by the number of trips to the hardware store and the number of cuts and bruises. This project turned out to be a success. No additional trips to the store. No cuts or bruises. Finished in decent time. No lost parts. And everything worked as planned!

GPS works great! Gives me audible directions via my ear buds while my favorite music plays in the background. It’s a wonderful thing!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Fuse Box Install on a VT1100C Empty Re: Fuse Box Install on a VT1100C

Post  jedishon Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:14 am

Looks good Steve.....If I didn't have so much fun trying to get lost I'd put one on my bike.....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down