Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tires should be replaced when they are 6 years old....

5 posters

Go down

Tires should be replaced when they are 6 years old.... Empty Tires should be replaced when they are 6 years old....

Post  Steve-O Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:39 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Long video, but the short is that there is a month/year stamp on the side of every tire. You should replace all tires when they are 6 years old. See video to see what happens when the rubber comes off.

One would think that if I buy a tire, use it for three years, and replace it - I'm good! Not so! Turns out they might have sold you at 6 year old tire! check the dates before you drive off or before they put them on. Check the dates on all of your vehicles. This goes for MC tires as well!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Tires should be replaced when they are 6 years old.... Empty Re: Tires should be replaced when they are 6 years old....

Post  jedishon Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:34 am

Good post Steve. Its good to bring this up every few months for the new people to see.....
Thanks

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Tires should be replaced when they are 6 years old.... Empty Re: Tires should be replaced when they are 6 years old....

Post  Steve-O Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:36 am

This is the first time I've seen this video. Thought it was a good explaination. I had never thought to look at "new" tires to check what the date was. I always assumed they put "new" tires on my car or sold me new tires.

This really is important to motorcyclists that just put 1000 miles a year on their bikes. First of all, the tire they bought may already be old. Second, they will have plenty of tread left when they need to change tires....but the wear indicators tell them the tire is still good.

Thought I'd bring it up again and put some words in the title that are searchable.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Phantom Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:01 pm

When I bought my Goodyear ATT I checked that out before I bought the tire. The service guy said he had never heard any that, so I informed him about it. I had seen a video on the internet that talked about this and showed what happened when the tread seperates when you are driving, and all I could think about was how bad that would be if it happened to the rear tire on a bike Shocked , so was taking no chances. As it turned out, my tire was onlya few months old.
Dark Phantom
Dark Phantom

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-10-12

Back to top Go down

Tires should be replaced when they are 6 years old.... Empty Tires

Post  wfdeals Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:59 am

I have just placed an order for the Pilot Gt's for my 1500 Gold Wing, I ordered from Ride Direct, I requested tires to be of new stock only, not new/old stock. I was assured the tires were within six months of age, when the tires arrived the date on front tire was of 2008, the rear was of 2005. Ride Direct sold me tires for a profit rather than sale for a continued customer. Be aware of Ride Direct or any dealer you are buying tires from, if they will not guarantee dates on the tires buy from another dealer, do not let price get you a old tire.

wfdeals

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:02 pm

wfdeals wrote:I have just placed an order for the Pilot Gt's for my 1500 Gold Wing, I ordered from Ride Direct, I requested tires to be of new stock only, not new/old stock. I was assured the tires were within six months of age, when the tires arrived the date on front tire was of 2008, the rear was of 2005. Ride Direct sold me tires for a profit rather than sale for a continued customer. Be aware of Ride Direct or any dealer you are buying tires from, if they will not guarantee dates on the tires buy from another dealer, do not let price get you a old tire.

Thanks for the heads up...

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  kennyg Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:29 pm

Steve-O wrote:http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Long video, but the short is that there is a month/year stamp on the side of every tire. You should replace all tires when they are 6 years old. See video to see what happens when the rubber comes off.

One would think that if I buy a tire, use it for three years, and replace it - I'm good! Not so! Turns out they might have sold you at 6 year old tire! check the dates before you drive off or before they put them on. Check the dates on all of your vehicles. This goes for MC tires as well!

Thanks for the info! I never knew any of this!!!

kennyg

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down