Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bought a Valkyrie

+2
jedishon
maragorn
6 posters

Go down

Bought a Valkyrie Empty Bought a Valkyrie

Post  maragorn Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:45 am

Hello to All

I bought myself a Teal and Black 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer last Friday night about 10pm. I had never seen this bike before about 9:30, nor sat my big butt on a Valk before that. I rode that big girl around the neighborhood in Dallas, then rode back and finished the deal.

It took about 20 minutes to get 'er strapped down on the U-haul motorcycle trailer, then 4 hours to get 'er back to Houston.

I gotta say my opinion of this bike changed 30 seconds after starting 'er up. What a machine!

This bike has 8600 miles on 'er and has sat up most of the last 3 or 4 years. The guy I bought 'er from got 'er in a trade and only had 'er long enough to have the carbs worked on and a new Dunlop Elite 3 tire put on the back.

I trailered 'er over to my mechanic to have 'er gone through before I really start riding 'er:

New front tire, air filter, plugs, oil and filter, coolant change, replace the brake and clutch fluid, final drive oil change.

Anything else that jumps out as an issue with so few miles?

As I have said before, I have had Victorys for the last 7 or 8 years. I had a 99, 00, 01 and 02. [What can I say...I am compulsive and I got very good deals!] Anyway, all but the 00 flooded and then burned during Hurricane Ike on Galveston.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Vics, but Victory stopped making all the bikes I liked. So I was looking around... And I wanted something different.

I had stumbled upon Daniel Meyer's articles on line about Darksiding his Valkyrie. That interested me and I took my 02 Victory Touring Cruiser to the Darkside. I loved it and had maybe 5000 miles on the car tire before I lost the bikes. But in the back of my head I was remembering how much Daniel Meyer liked his Valkyrie. So....

Now I have one. I have found that Valkyrie riders call the Valks "Dragons". After test riding mine I understand why now.

If you go to the link below I have some pictures posted. The pictures below don't do 'er justice, but they at least give you an idea. She is one beautiful lady. Even my ex and her daughter think so!

http://throwthescoundrelsout.blogtownhall.com/
[img][/img]

maragorn

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Bought a Valkyrie Empty Re: Bought a Valkyrie

Post  jedishon Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:50 am

You will never get rid of her........She's looking good

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:58 pm

Congrats! A Valk is on my short list. Going to upgrade to a big cruiser one of these days AND buy a smaller bike for around town.....all used of course.

You have a brand new bike for all intents and purposes. She'll last a lifetime.

The picture link didn't come through. Try again. We'd like to see the new addition.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Bought a Valkyrie Empty Link

Post  maragorn Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:16 pm

Hmmm

Try clicking on it again, or maybe pasting it. It works for me.

maragorn

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:51 pm

That's the bike I have my eye on too. Tourer I think it was called. Interstate had the trunk with some extra bling and a back seat. You got a great bike there!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Tanglefoot Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:52 pm

I have a '99 Interstate. I bought her about a year and a half ago and I am not sorry. There couldn't be a better ride anywhere. Why Honda quit making them I'll never know. Enjoy your ride.
Tanglefoot
Tanglefoot
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:11 am

Tanglefoot wrote:I have a '99 Interstate. I bought her about a year and a half ago and I am not sorry. There couldn't be a better ride anywhere. Why Honda quit making them I'll never know. Enjoy your ride.
Pretty simple Tanglefoot the Goldwing is Honda's flagship and they made the 1500 for many years without any up-grades or changes and sales started going way down. So they came out with the 1800 and still had all those 1500 motors in stock . A man named Joe Boyd took the 1500 motors added bigger cams and 2 more carbs some beautiful bling here and there and the Valkyrie was born. Joe Boyd was killed testing a Goldwing . When he died so did the push to keep the Valkyrie alive. Valkyrie was voted cruiser of the decade in 2000 then in 2003 dropped by Honda. Why ? No more motors and no more push from the man that started the Valkyrie . I've had over 25 bikes in my life from brand new Harley's ( 1994 ) to brand new Goldwing ( 1998 ) to owning 3 Valkyries right now....The Best Motorcycle Ever Made....IMO
Bought a Valkyrie JOE20BOYD
Bought a Valkyrie ChromePonyDragon007
Bought a Valkyrie NoshowSmokeyride015

Bought a Valkyrie Newcamera011
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1642
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:20 am

Smokin'joe have you came up with a name for that mean green machine of yours yet?
I am going to bookmark this thread just so I can take a look at your bikes once in a while....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:38 am

jedishon wrote:Smokin'joe have you came up with a name for that mean green machine of yours yet?
I am going to bookmark this thread just so I can take a look at your bikes once in a while....

Jerry
Bought a Valkyrie Chromepony
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TennX Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:59 am

I know whats on my short list now, does anybody know what was the last year the valk was made. thanks
TennX
TennX

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:48 pm

2003 was the last year...Only the Standard was made then and it only came in black. ( No Tourer or Interstate in 2003 ) Last year for the Interstate was 2001.These bikes go forever one older dude in the VRCC has over 390,000 miles on his 1998.Many have well over 200,000 miles and hundreds have over 100,000 miles. A low mileage Valkyrie is anything under 80,000 miles thats been took care of. There is still many Valkyries out there with less than 10,000 miles on them I see'em on Flea-bay all the time.Valkyrie's hold their value just as good as Hardley's maybe even better in many cases.
Bought a Valkyrie IMG_1322
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:27 pm

I always liked this rendering ....
Bought a Valkyrie Copyofvalkci0