Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got er done. Spoke seal and mount.

5 posters

Go down

Got er done. Spoke seal and mount. Empty Got er done. Spoke seal and mount.

Post  Rentman Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:42 pm

I have been working the last few days on sealing my spoke wheel. After cleaning the wheel up real good and buffing it I used a product called Sikaflex 201 and it done very well. I put three passes on. The first I worked it into the spoke nuts and around then put on a light coat. For the second pass I made a plastic spreader like was shown on here, and put mabe not quite 1/8th of an inch of Sikaflex on spreading it on evenly of coarse. On the third pass I put a very thin coating on and put the rubber spoke cover on and imbedded it, making sure it was bonded all the way around. Then I let it sit for 24 hrs. The first two coats I let sit for 10 hrs. a piece.
The Sikaflex is reall some good stuff plus it cures quick. A full 4mm thick coating cures in 24hrs.
Well, this morning it was ready. I loaded her up, took her and my Hydro-edge to my local Honda shop, had a long talk with them to prove that I wasn't crazy, and got her mounted. I brought it back home and put my bike together and drove off with a smile on my face. It was a little different at slow speed, not bad but different, and I was really surprised at the way it handled. All in all, I don't think I will ever go back to a m/t. I think this is the beginning to a beautiful relationship.
Rentman.
Rentman
Rentman

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-09-02

Back to top Go down

Got er done. Spoke seal and mount. Empty Re: Got er done. Spoke seal and mount.

Post  horseman8m Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:54 pm

good write-up , Welcome to the Darkside
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:34 pm

Welcome aboard! Glad to hear you finally made it. What is that Sika normally used for? How close is your left side swingarm? Wait till you get used to it, and gain full confidence in the tires ability, it only get's better from here, don't forget to do a good burnout to make sure the mold release is gone Cool Have Fun Exclamation
Dan
Dan

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Rentman Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:18 pm

What is Sikaflex used for? Well, here's the way I found it. I have built two log houses and that is what the log manufacturer recommended using between the logs. I knew it was tuff stuff and whatever it touched it stayed on. If you put it on wood and after 45 min. you want to take it apart it takes wood with it.I could not find the 3M 5200 anywhere around here so I got to thinking about what I did have and I had a case of Sikaflex. I looked on the web and found a product data sheet for it at www.alphaind.ca/media/PDFs/Sika/Sikaflex201.pdf[url][/url] .It seemed to have all the good qualities so I tried it.
Oh, and I have about 1/8th" between the shaft cover and tire.
Rentman
Rentman

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:33 am

sweet!
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:26 am

Rentman,

Awesome job....way to hang in there and get it done! It is worth it for the darkside! Get a couple hundred miles on the darkside and then give us another review!..... Very Happy

Congrats..................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down