Michelin Primacy MXV4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Michelin Primacy MXV4

Post  stater61 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:04 pm

Hello all, I'm finally getting ready to get a ct. I have an 02 1880C and want to try and keep my speedo close or even corrected, and rpm's as low as possible. I also have Cobra Swept floorboards and there is no height adjustment on them. I don't seem to be able to get as much lean angle as I would like, so I thought it best to go with a 205/65/16. I also thought I would put in some progressive forksprings 1" taller. Most of my riding is highway, although I get to the Colorado mtns. as much as possible. I also work around Ignacio, Co. but not too many twisties there.

My question is there are only 3 tires I think might work for what I want. one is the Falken, but don't really want to try that one due to it being so hard to get the beads to seat. I haven't found anyone around here willing to mount a ct on my mc rim. They either say "sorry we can't, insurance won't let us," or "he** no". I have a good friend who owns an independant mc shop, and even he says he doesn't want to do it("you're f***ing crazy to even try that"). No I don't have a way to change it myself but I'm d**ned determined to do it somehow. Twisted Evil

The other 2 tires are a Michelin Hydroedge (already proven to work) or a Michelin Primacy MXV4. Being somewhat of a new rider (bought my bike this spring and have put 8700 mi. on it) and not being very knowledgable about the darkside. I think the Primacy has a little more rounded shoulder on it, and it's H rated. The Hydroedge looks cooler, but is only T rated and a little more square shoulder. The size specs and wet and dry traction ratings are almost identical according to the Michelin website.

Am I worrying too much about the shoulder and the speed rating or do they make that much difference? Also if anyone has another suggestion or tire in mind I'd be glad to get your advise. Thanks for any input and sorry about the longwinded post.

stater61

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-07-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Michelin Primacy MXV4

Post  kent10 on Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:43 pm

I change my own, need 2 4x4 blocks about 2' long to support wheel ,3 motorcycle tire irons , 12" c clamp to keep the
sidewall in the narrow part of rim,cut up a plastic jug for rim protectors,use dish soap or cooking oil to lube bead,
search utube for 5.00 bead breaker, use dynabeads or get some tire weights from dealer to balance Very Happy ,
Not much harder than changing MC tire.

kent10

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O on Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:58 pm

Either of the michilen tires will work. Both are proven. One does have a softer shoulder, but you will get used to either one.

Find a motorcycle shop and tell them you want to put a car tire on for "drag racing". That sometimes works.

If you have to do it yourself, you can get the stuff from Harbor Freight for around $100. Bike Jack, changer, irons, come alongs, and soft ties. But you have to change a lot of tires to make it pay for itself. Several of us have had luck taking the wheel off and taking it to a "dealer" to put on....making something up like drag racing...crazy uncle, something like that.

Good luck and post pics when it's done.

PS You are smart to go with a proven tire.

Steve-O
2009 Yamaha Stratoliner S
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  sam_henric on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:55 am

I got mine mounted and balanced in the most despicable place on the planet..."THE STEALERSHIP"...i'm glad they finally did something right for once... Rolling Eyes They charged me around $40
sam_henric

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:36 am

You can also try and claim it's for a trike and offer to sign a waiver and/or pay in cash... Wink

nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  j.neitzert on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:56 pm

I got mine put on at N.T.B. Told them it was going on a trike
j.neitzert

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:49 am

Did mine at a one man shop for $10. Didn't care what I was putting it on, money is money.

Jerry
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top