Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shock bushings

+3
jedishon
twin1300
mlr1968
7 posters

Go down

Shock bushings Empty Shock bushings

Post  mlr1968 Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:17 am

Ok, been reading about the shock bushing problem and I noticed I had a wobble at high speed (95 mph). Looked at the center bolt on the rear shocks and they are not in the center so I am going to replace them asap. What was strange is that it only happens when my feet are on the floorboards. With my feet on the highway pegs it does not wobble. 1st question, the rear shocks procedure of changning out the bushings, should I put the bike up on my jack? Seems like I should to get the shocks off and put them back on correctly. Second, where specficaly are the bushings located at in the front? Are they under the fork covers? What are the steps to remove the bushings? Oh, I have not had the steering head bearing replaced yet, that is a job for the winter. Which bushings have you guys used?
mlr1968
mlr1968

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Shock bushings Empty Re: Shock bushings

Post  twin1300 Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:51 am

I have replaced the shock bushing on my bike but not the steering head bearing yet! The steering bearings are in the neck of the triple trees in the frame and it is behind the covers!

The bushing change out...you do need a jack! Taking them off is the easy part. Pressing the nylon bushing inside the shocks and then driving them back on the shock studs on the bike are another story. Mine were tight....hehehehe When I drove them on the bike it did take just a sliver of nylon out of them on both sides when I did it. But they are nice! You can get the bushing from Motion Industries. or order them from Master-Carr!

You need to change them as soon as possible!

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:01 am

When I did mine I found a little silicone spray and a rubber mallet worked pretty good. If you get them from McMater-Carr you get 5 per pkg. Just in case you break or crack (dont ask) one.....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppawolf Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:47 am

As the others have posted, it takes a little muscle to get them back on. I went with the McMaster bushings. I didn't jack the bike up though just did one side at a time. I used a mallet to get them in the eyes of the shocks and when I put them on the bike I drove them on enough to get a bolt in and cinch them down. Good Luck.

Darren
Poppawolf
Poppawolf

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  TennX Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:55 am

I was given a tip that I havent tried yet, but was told to leave the nylon bushing in the freezer over night and with a little lube slips right in. good luck
TennX
TennX

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:57 am

TennX wrote:I was given a tip that I havent tried yet, but was told to leave the nylon bushing in the freezer over night and with a little lube slips right in. good luck

A little lube helps with a lot of things .... umm .... so I am told Embarassed Laughing Laughing

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  meta355 Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:24 am

Here you go, they work good....
P/N 6389K344
Nylon Bearing Sleeve, for 5/8" Shaft Dia, 7/8" OD, 3/4" Length, Packs of 5
$3.62 for a pack of 5
www.mcmaster.com

meta355

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Shock bushings Empty Just pulled the trigger on new bushings.

Post  mlr1968 Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:45 am

Ok, just ordered the bushings from Mcmasters will let everone know what I think. Also ordered me some Dyna Beads, going to see how all this works on a trip to Oceoo Tn for a rafting trip on the weekend of the 12th of Sept. Oh, I will be riding to Oceoo on my motorcycle, not rafting with my motorcycle LOL. 🤡
mlr1968
mlr1968

Back to top Go down

Shock bushings Empty Got the new bushings in !!

Post  mlr1968 Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:35 pm

Alright, got the new shock bushings, put in, also did the dyna beads and a new dust cover for the rear tire. The dyna beads were not that bad just a lilttle slow on the front, running a tube. The shock change was going fairly smoothly till I was doiing the second shock, got all the bushings in fairly easy, but as I was putting the shock back on, it decided to fall off and onto my shin!! Ouch, it left a nice swollen egg size knot and has turned blue, yep did some cussing and some repenting. Other then that it went smoothly. Oh, the bike is riding quit a bit smoother and the high speed wobble is gone near as I can tell. Happy camper!!
mlr1968
mlr1968

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:30 am

Glad it did the trick for you.....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User