Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VTX1800F DS tire specs

+3
Badmoon
horseman8m
Taffer
7 posters

Go down

VTX1800F DS tire specs Empty VTX1800F DS tire specs

Post  Taffer Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:21 pm

Please allow me to apologize in advance if this has been covered ad nauseum already, BUT: I'd love to see a summary spec sheet that lists all of the possible tires parameters that will fit the two types of VTX1800's out there (F and non F...ie. R, C, N, S). I am particularly interested in the F (18" rim), because that's what I have. I am looking at a tire with these specs 215, 45, 18 because it was recommended to me by a VTXOA board member, but I'm wondering what else will fit on the F rim. IF anyone has a link they could direct me to or if you just want to reply with the info, I would highly appreciate it. Any other info would also be appreciated (dyna beads, mounting tips, fender clearance, widths (195-215 which is best, speed rating, etc). I know there is a lot published on these topics, but I am too incompetent to effectively search the web to find a comprehensive site on this info. I seem to only find tidbits of info here and there on bulleting boards. THANKS!!!
Taffer
Taffer

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

VTX1800F DS tire specs Empty Re: VTX1800F DS tire specs

Post  horseman8m Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:17 pm

215 might need mods
measure twice before you get the tire.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:14 pm

Here ya go I going to check this one out when I get off this friggin boat. I ride an F too.
http://www.treadepot.com/proddetail.html

Let me know what you come up with. I am expecting to have to do a little grinding but I aint skeered. The only thing that even close to bothers me is, It has a H rateing but how often do I need that, Know what I mean?

Good luck
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:47 pm

only a couple 215's will fit that have been found so far, the one I'm running and a Mich racing tire that is big $$... it's the actual tread width is a hair wider than most 205's...
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Taffer Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:01 am

Thanks guys....I ordered the Toyo Proxes 215-45-18 from treaddepot. $175 and free shipping. Also picked up some Dynabeads from a place locally. Now I have to figure out how to get it mounted. Not sure I want to take the wheel off myself or if I will pay a shop to do the installation for me.

L8r...
mv.
Taffer
Taffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Morgan Buchanan Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:23 am

If you have tools, the take off yourself is REALLY very easy using the bareasschoppers walk thru. just have your moly PASTE before you start.
Morgan Buchanan
Morgan Buchanan

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:44 pm

here are some things that might help , the first is the service manual for the 1800 :

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Moto/VTX/VTX1800/

the second is a step by step with photos on how to removing/installing the rear wheel

http://www.bareasschoppers.com/

then on the left margin under Maintenance , click on the "removing/installing the rear wheel"

Good luck , I hope that i could help,
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Cords Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:40 pm

Cords
Cords

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Taffer Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Thanks everyone.

I picked up HONDA brand moly paste (LOL...I'm sure the honda label was $8 and the paste $3 =$11).
I also bought a 27mm socket and the 12mm hex wrench I need at Sears.

Southeast Sales in Milwaukee has agreed to mount the tire for me, so I'm good to go there, now I'm just waiting for the UPS man to arrive.

Cords, it was great meeting you at Two Wheel Tuesday today. Very generous of you to let me ride your bike. I really alleviated my fears about slow speed handling.

I'll post some pics after I get it mounted.

L8r, Taffer.
Taffer
Taffer

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:18 am

Taffer,

Good decision to go darkside! We will be waiting for pics as a review of the tire!

................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Cords Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:52 am

You are welcome, I was honored that you wanted to drive it. I bet you can't wait to get that tire on! There was another car tire in the lot, on a Rocket III. Amazing how much attention the tire gets.

Funniest question of the night though was a guy asking me what kind of transmission was behind all those big chrome covers. scratch I said "Huh?" and he said it looks like an automatic/Hondamatic. Laughing
Cords
Cords

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Taffer Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:37 am

Cords wrote:You are welcome, I was honored that you wanted to drive it. I bet you can't wait to get that tire on! There was another car tire in the lot, on a Rocket III. Amazing how much attention the tire gets.

Funniest question of the night though was a guy asking me what kind of transmission was behind all those big chrome covers. scratch I said "Huh?" and he said it looks like an automatic/Hondamatic. Laughing

It's done. Getting the wheel off and back on was a little trickier than I expected. Had a lot of trouble getting the brake stay bolt out. I also never ended up using my torque wrench, because I couldn't get it in there with the pipes on and I didn't want to take them off. Getting the dynabeads in was also tricky. Pics and review will follow, but so far so good....it was pretty late when I was done, so i just cruised around town for about 15 miles.....it's all good.

I talked to a dude at Southeast Sales today that also has a Rocket 3 and he knows that guy you saw. After he saw my tire, he convinced himself that he was also going darkside....they take 240-255 size tires.....wow. Dan the mechanic was getting pretty enamored with the whole concept and he wants to test drive my bike....That guy is very cool and I will give him business in the future.

I heard that guy at TWT talking about the automatic transmission...WTF was that all about....I was cracking up.

I hope you are going to Sam and Dru's tomorrow....for the ride and the party. Would like to ride with you since we have darn near matching bikes (except for seat and paint).

If you are not familiar with the party check the WI VTXOA board for info on times and location. All WIVOs are invited....
Taffer
Taffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down