Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does DARKSIDE affect MPG ?????????

+7
Steve-O
Interceptor430
twistedrcpilot
BigDarkster
Poppawolf
smokey2255
wiggans50cal
11 posters

Go down

Does  DARKSIDE  affect  MPG ????????? Empty Does DARKSIDE affect MPG ?????????

Post  wiggans50cal Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:43 am

I am thinking of going to a 165-80-15 on my 1300-S but im not 100% sure yet, view my other recent post if you want to give me your opinion on size, but, i was wondering if this tire size would affect my MPG? Im sure if i went clear up to a 205 i wouls SURELY notice a few miles per gallon difference just because it has to be a heavier tire, im not sure on the weights, but being that wide it would have to make a difference i would think. You guys that are running the 165s, 185s, and 205s are the ones i need to talk to. What tire size do you have and did your MPG drop when you went to this size of C/T?

wiggans50cal

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Does  DARKSIDE  affect  MPG ????????? Empty Re: Does DARKSIDE affect MPG ?????????

Post  smokey2255 Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:22 am

Daniel there is only a couple pounds weight difference over and under the weight of a mc tire. The weight really dont effect the MPG. The darkside will affect your MPG in that you will be twisting the throttle more rolling through the twisties.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Does  DARKSIDE  affect  MPG ????????? Empty Re: Does DARKSIDE affect MPG ?????????

Post  Poppawolf Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:18 am

I am running the 165 and average about 45mpg. A taller tire may actually help you out a little.

DB
Poppawolf
Poppawolf

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDarkster Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:53 am

I have about 1500 miles on my 205/70R15 Good Year Assurance Tripletred now and so far there hasn't been any significant change in my mileage at all, other than possibly a tad better. and I say that because the Goodyear is slightly taller than the stock motorcycle tire. One thing I have noticed is that the various gear ratios in 3rd, 4th, & 5th seem MUCH better matched to the bike now with that taller tire. Especially 3rd & 4th in city traffic on my daily commute to work.
As for highway riding, we're in a major road construction season right now because winter is rapidly approaching and all of the major roads now have Double fines & Double Points... +10 will will cost you $450 and +15 = $750 and above that will cost you your ride - so I've slowed way down recently which may also explain why I haven't seen any change in mileage

BigD
BigDarkster
BigDarkster

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  twistedrcpilot Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:25 am

A rundown on the numbers. I know there are more calcuations, but this is the basic principal. The 165 is actually how wide the tire is. The 80 is the height, and the 15 is the rim diamater.

So, knowing this, if you varied from 165 to 205 you would have little to no difference on mpg other than drag from more meat on the pavement.

If you went from an 80 to and 85 you will get a little better gas mileage, but I would think the taller the tire, the sloppy-ier it will be. Go down to a 60 and you'd have a firmer sidewall and less mpg.

This is just my thinking. I'd probably look at a 205 / 70 - 15. If you disect this a bit, you get the maximum contact patch on the pavement. You get a medium sized sidewall that hold you up in turns, and is not too mushy.

Just my .02

twistedrcpilot

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Interceptor430 Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:29 pm

I'm running the Goodyear Assurance Triptred 205/70R15 on my 1300R - no noticeable diff in mpg.

Interceptor430

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:34 pm

I'm running a 165 on my Shadow. No difference between it and the original dunlop.

It does save you money if you ride the bike a lot. Tires are $50 instead of $250 and will last twice as long. $400 buys a lot of gas.....

it definitely does NOT decrease your gas mileage.

I'm going to a 205 pretty soon. I'll do a long distance mileage test before and after and post the results here. I would expect the mileage to drop a bit on a wider tire, but maybe not. Once you get it going, seems like it wouldn't matter.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:59 pm

My milage dropped a tad, but only 1-2mpg unless I'm really running hard and then it has dropped 3 or so. I really don't mind it though as the bike still gets pretty good milage.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  mlr1968 Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:31 pm

Running a Dogulas 205/65/15 and I haven't noticed a drop in fuel milage. I am running it harder then I used togo figure, still in the 45 mpg range so I am satisified,and as mention in another post it still gets good gas milage and a couple mpg drop should not hurt IMHO.
mlr1968
mlr1968

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  BRCSKB4 Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:09 pm

I started with a Douglas 205/65/15 and liked the way it handled, but I wanted a little taller so not to drag the boards and fatty bars as bad in the twisties, I just put on a Michelin 205/70/15 HydroEdge which raised the back up about an inch and maby it will handle as good as the Douglas. Will have to make another trip to the mountains to see. Haven't noticed much change if any on mileage. It did help the speed odometer reading be a little closer to actual with the taller tire.

BRCSKB4

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post  kmccarn Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:20 pm

I put the 205/65/15 on my 1300C about 1000 miles ago.

My mileage is better than the stock tire. Not much - but I went from averaging 42-44 mpg to 45-47 mpg.

JM2CW

Very Happy

kmccarn

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down