Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dark Side on A vt1100 with disc brake

3 posters

Go down

Dark Side on A vt1100 with disc brake Empty Dark Side on A vt1100 with disc brake

Post  btaillon Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:10 pm

I have a 2002 Honda Shadow Aero I bought a rim off a Sabre (mag with disc brake) I want to put a CT on me bike but have not seen pics of a CT on a Honda Sabre. I tried to get a CT on my spoked rim but that would not seat. So I did find the Sabre rim and just wondering what tire will bead on this rim. Has anyone seen a CT on a Sabre?
Brett
The Sabre rim came off a 2006 model Bike

btaillon

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Dark Side on A vt1100 with disc brake Empty Re: Dark Side on A vt1100 with disc brake

Post  ttexastim Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:20 pm

What are the dimensions of the original tire? That would be a good place to start. Then you just have to figure out how wide you can go (darkside shadow can tell you how to measure the inside of the fender to check on how wide you can go.

Welcome!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Dark Side on A vt1100 with disc brake Empty Dark Side on A vt1100 with disc brake

Post  btaillon Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:53 pm

The wheel is off a 2006 Shadow Sabre it is the same size as The stock Aero tire at 17/80-15. I'm not looking for a wide tire as much as I'm looking for a CT to put on the bike. I don't think fender clearance is going to be a issue. I'm just looking to find a tire that will mount. I talked to the guy at the tire shop about 20 miles from the house he said he just got 300 Nexen 165/80-15 tires in he said that size tire has been on backorder. He is getting away from the Kumho brand tires and he might have a few of that size left but he would just have to find where they are. This is a BIG tire distributor I have been where they store them it is 3 stories and a person can get lost in there. I haven't seen where anyone has mounted anything but Kumhos in the 165 size. And haven't seen any one post about mounting a CT on a VT1100 Sabre.

Brett

btaillon

Back to top Go down

Dark Side on A vt1100 with disc brake Empty Re: Dark Side on A vt1100 with disc brake

Post  Steve-O Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:28 pm

I think you would be the first on this site to install one on that bike. But it looks like the same size rim as our Spirits. Clearance should not be an issue. If the rim is tubeless, then I say go for it.

I have a Kumho 165 that you can have....you just have to drive down to Ennis to get it. We'll help you install it too. if it doesn't work out, you're just out gas money, but you got a good ride in!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  btaillon Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:36 pm

Steve O
I will pick up the Nexen tire and try to get it mounted. The rim is stamped 3.50x15 and looks like I should not have a problem mounting a tire. How far are you from New Boston? I have a brother that lives there and want to put a CT on his VXT1300. I don't know why Honda has disc brakes on the Sabre and Aero models and on the Spirit model has a drum brake. I have a almost new Metzler on my spoke rim so I won't be without a ride while messing with putting on a CT.
Brett

btaillon

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:48 pm

New Boston is maybe 3 hours to the east.

Lots of 1300 folks have installed CTs. He'll get lot's of info here on how to do it. TexasTim is in Greenvile, a little closer to New Boston. Tim knows a guy there that will install them. If your brother goes with a recommended tire, I'm sure it would not be a problem.

New Boston is great bike area.

As to the disk break question, I think the Aero and Sabre were supposed to be more of a sprint or boulevard bike. The Spirit more of a long distance cruiser. It's geared higher too. Personnally, I like the rear drum brakes. Less likely to lock them up, although my rear doesn't skid sideways as much with the CT on the back. I've done a 35mph emergency stop and it tracked straight. One of these days I'll do a higher speed test. Whether you have an aero, sabre, or spirit, the 1100 is a great bike...and it's a classic now!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Dark Side on A vt1100 with disc brake Empty VT1100c3 Darkside

Post  btaillon Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:06 pm

Found a tire to mount on my Sabre rim and put the rim and CT on my 2002 Honda 1100 Aero

heres pics

https://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f131/btaillon/Darkside/?albumview=slideshow

btaillon

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:12 pm

Looks good!! Wait till you get a feel for the way she handles! I couldn't go back!!!

Great job!!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:18 pm

Looks Good! Where's your first ride?
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum