Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will I have to do a mod??

+2
Dan
Mr.Bill
6 posters

Go down

Will I have to do a mod?? Empty Will I have to do a mod??

Post  Mr.Bill Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:40 pm

Have read many post and am considering about putting a Dunlop 205/65r16 on my 2002 1800r. Does any one know if I will have to do any mods for clearance? The tire width is 8.2'' with tread width at 6.8" and dia. at 26.5". I see that most run the 60 and 55 series but have only seen one for a 65 and that was on an N.Thanks in advance. Found a independent shop that will mount the tire and balance it using dyna beads for $40.00. I know that I can put a 205/60r16 on with no problems but would like to go with a taller tire to keep the speedometer close to normal as I can.

Mr.Bill

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Will I have to do a mod?? Empty Re: Will I have to do a mod??

Post  Dan Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:00 pm

I'm not familiar with the R fender and inner brace, but if it's at least as wide as the C you should be alright, without mods. The 8.2" width is probably measured on a 6.00" rim, so on your 5.00" rim, it will be more like 7.8", check the specs. for measuring rim size. Your tire is not on the list below, but that doesn't mean it won't fit, I'd give it a shot, or wait for an R guy to chime in, from the outside the R looks like it has more room.The taller tire gives a better ride and mpg also. Good luck!

Last edited by Dan on Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:28 pm; edited 4 times in total
Dan
Dan

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:03 pm

jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Will I have to do a mod?? Empty Re. will I have to do any mods?

Post  Mr.Bill Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:03 pm

Well got my tire to day and it is a 205/65R16. Tire looks GREAT on the back. But will have to grind the fender brackets about 2 inches for the tire to not rub when riding two up.Question..........instead of removing every thing again, is it possible to pull bolts out of lower shock and let swing arm down enough ( just to get tire out of way) to do some grinding on the brackets. I have about 1/4 inch clearance on left swing arm and about 1/2 inch clearance on right side. Rear fender has about 1/2 inch clearance form tire on both sides.
Have taken pic's but do not know how to post them here.

Mr.Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:17 pm

Welcome Aboard! Sure, pull the shocks and jack it up, you should have room to grind. The swingarm difference is normal because the left side is the driveshaft tube, and is bigger, 1/4" is plenty, I've only got about a 16th, and it never rubs. Also, with shocks off it's much easier to check fender brace clearance, you can lift tire right up inside fender, so you don't bother grinding more than you have to, and remember the shocks will bottom out before the tire goes all the way up inside the fender. Clearance sounds good. Have fun, and don't forget to give us a report after. Good Luck~Dan
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  goodsgto Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:56 pm

I have an 1800 C and went with a 205/65/16 and no mods..... Ride 2 up and no rub on fender bracket.

Not much room on the drive shaft side - maybe a 1/16th.... but no rub's......
goodsgto
goodsgto

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Will I have to do a mod?? Empty Re. will I have to do any mods?

Post  Mr.Bill Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:47 pm

Well, got my tire (205/65R16) on the bike yesterday. Checked clearance and had to grind the fender brackets. Both sides with the shocks off so that i could lower the bike to check the clearance. Finished that up, put exhaust back on, tighten every thing to specs, and double checked that everything was where it was suppose to be and that there was nothing on the floor left over.Put 35 lbs. air to start off with. Took it around the block. At low speed it felt as if I had a flat. Went and put 40lbs. in. Again around the block. A little better. But have to get use to them slow turns. Came back home and pput 44lbs. in. Went for another little ride. Much better, I will stay with 44 till I get a coeple of more miles on it, then drop it down some. Need to get the newness off it. BTW, I did power around one corner and OMG. Felt like I got sling shot. I think I will like once I get the feel of it.
Thanks to all on this site. You guys are awesome !!!!!!!!!!

Mr.Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:08 am

It's just like they told me Mr.Bill, it only gets better from here! Once you get your air pressure dialed in, and develop full confidence in the tire's ability, you will really enjoy it.Very Happy My bros can barely keep up in the twisties now, and when we stop somewhere and someone else asks about the CT, all I have to say is "it works" and they take over with: how all the tread stays on the road at mean lean angles, the superior traction, and how awesome it looks, blah, blah, blah, I love it. Cool Have Fun Exclamation
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:12 pm

congrats!! and welcome! Let us know what you think after a few hundred miles Cool
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:21 pm

Welcome to the Darkside
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:48 pm

Mr.Bill wrote:Well, got my tire (205/65R16) on the bike yesterday. Checked clearance and had to grind the fender brackets. Both sides with the shocks off so that i could lower the bike to check the clearance. Finished that up, put exhaust back on, tighten every thing to specs, and double checked that everything was where it was suppose to be and that there was nothing on the floor left over.Put 35 lbs. air to start off with. Took it around the block. At low speed it felt as if I had a flat. Went and put 40lbs. in. Again around the block. A little better. But have to get use to them slow turns. Came back home and pput 44lbs. in. Went for another little ride. Much better, I will stay with 44 till I get a coeple of more miles on it, then drop it down some. Need to get the newness off it. BTW, I did power around one corner and OMG. Felt like I got sling shot. I think I will like once I get the feel of it.
Thanks to all on this site. You guys are awesome !!!!!!!!!!

Yep it only gets better. Once you get the mold release wore off you can try a few corners......
Welcome to the darkside Mr. Bill.....No one here will ever tell you NO....NO....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum