Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm Going Dark!!!!!!

+4
Dan
nodakbassmaster
horseman8m
stater61
8 posters

Go down

I'm Going Dark!!!!!! Empty I'm Going Dark!!!!!!

Post  stater61 Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:29 pm

Hello everybody, I've been thinking of going to the darkside on my next set of tires (still have some time). I've been trying to research it a little to really make up my mind, and then I stumbled onto this site. cheers MIND MADE UP

I was mesmerized and couldn't stop reading. Shocked When I finally decided to stop reading and sign up it was way past time for this old man to be getting his nap in work the next day. So as soon as I got in from work I came right over and jumped in.

I just bought an 02' 1800C a couple of months ago and have put around 6000 miles on it so far. I haven't decided which tire I'm going to get yet, don't know if I'm brave enough to do all the mods for a 215 right now, but love the look . I guess I'll keep reading and studying for now but you guys convinced me. I really appreciate all the info you guys share and no Flaming BS on top of it, how can you beat that!!!!!!!

Oh.... and Morgan Buchanan, man I love that intake where can I find one,or is it a custom?

stater61

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-07-08

Back to top Go down

I'm Going Dark!!!!!! Empty Re: I'm Going Dark!!!!!!

Post  horseman8m Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:02 pm

The 215 mod is a big jump , If you go to a 205 it is almost as wide and you don't have to mod the bike.
when looking for a tire take a measuring tape with you or use a tire someone else has already used.
You have a big advantage already the 16 inch rim that comes with the 1800, it gives you a vast amount of tires to choose from.
good luck, Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:23 pm

welcome!

The intake is a P4... not made anymore so they can be big $$ If I remember which intake he has...

Go for the 205, like mentioned no mods required and if for some reason you decide it's not for you, no harm, no foul and you can go back to a MC tire with no ill effects... Cool
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:08 pm

I went 215/65 mainly for the big height increase. The width is only slightly more than a 205 in my brand, .2". So if your not looking for much more height and ground clearance, the 205 will do fine. But if your into the drag bike look with some big ass rubber, and want to go with a taller front tire than stock, it's the balls! I'd like to see and ride a C with an R wheel, 150/80-17 up front, Wildside rear. The mods are not that hard, just more time for grinding, with more than a Dremel, 4" grinder is fine. Sounds like these other 215r's are trying to talk you out of it. Suspect What's up with that!

Last edited by Dan on Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dan
Dan

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  stater61 Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:27 pm

Thanks for the replies. I don't know yet which way I'll go. Right now I'm leaning a little more towards the 205, mostly just because of money issues with a new front wheel and the more mods you would have to do. I'm looking to get a different intake than the stock one and a couple more things hence the money issue. But then again that might be a good winter project as it has been snowing alot and below zero temps here the last couple of winters. I do expect to have at least a 205 on the bike before too long though.

Stater61

stater61

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:43 pm

I'm running the C front with a 140/70-18, and it looks and sits fine. No need for new front wheel. The handling may suffer with the R front, if that's the case, I'd rather stay with the stock C front wheel.
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:03 am

+1 on the 205 if you don't want to mod anything.

I'm kinda partial to my 205/65/16 Michelin HydraEdge.

There are plenty of good tires in the 205 size. Just find the tread pattern and size you want and away ya go. Very Happy

Welcome too. cheers
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-12-14

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:55 am

Welcome stater61,

Glad to have you sir! +1 on what toasted said on the 1800's, a 205 is a tight fit and depending on the 215, it might NOT fit! Some guys with a 205 have less than a 1/4 on the sides!

.................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Morgan Buchanan Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:07 am

Welcome aboard...Yup, Proton 4 intake. Less than 300 made. Hard to find, I get a lot of compliments on it. If you want to find one, I can tell you how, but you have to be willing to throw a LOT of money at the problem. Like 800-1000. Mine isn't for sale at even that price...I'd start to think about selling in the 1500 range... and "start" and "think" are operative terms.
Morgan Buchanan
Morgan Buchanan

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:15 pm

I thought you chopped the ends off some old drag pipes and welded them up. :pirat: Exhaust reverse!

Last edited by Dan on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  goodsgto Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:37 pm

I have a 2003 1800 C and just put a Michelin 205/65/16 on the rear.

No mods required - rode two up with my wife and no rubs.

Did have to let the air out of the tire to get it to squeeze between the swing arm and drive unit.

Other than that, no problems mounting. I do notice the difference in the ride and having to use a little more effort to make it lean and hold the turn. It wants to pop up right due to the wide flat bottom of the tire.

But nothing wrong with that..... smoother ride is noticeable.

Ray

I'm Going Dark!!!!!! Th_CarTireonVTX3

Last edited by goodsgto on Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : insert image)
goodsgto
goodsgto

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  stater61 Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:08 pm

Thanks again for the replies. If I figured everything right my 180/70/16 falls right in between a 205/65 and a 205/60. I may check my speedometer against a gps and see which one will bring my speed closer to correct mph. I'm not real sure, I think the smaller the tire the faster it will show on your speedometer. I guess I have time to figure that out.

Morgan, I guess I'll have to live without that cool looking P4 Sad . Well the search goes on,just don't like how the Kuruakyn hypercharger sticks out far enough to hit my leg.

Stater61

stater61

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:46 am

Your speedo formula is correct. Have you seen the Kury Hi-5, A.C.? I'm wondering if they stick out as far as the Hyper, and interfere with side leg room? Good luck with your CT choice!
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  stater61 Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:40 pm

I checked my speedometer against my gps today. When my Speedo says I'm doing 65mph, my gps says 63mph. I checked it from 25mph in 10 mi. increments up to 75mph. It was (gps) pretty consistant to being 2mph slower than the speedo.

I used the Discount Tire comparison page (thanks, Grizak) and found the 205/55 would be going 65.99mph when the speedo showed 65. That would make the actual speed 1mph slower than what the speedo shows. The 205/60 showed to be going 68.13mph when the speedo showed 65mph. That would make the actual speed 1.13mph faster than what the speedo shows. ...(I think). All this is in comparison to what my current set up is (180/70).

So, if all my petty little calculations are right I might as well go with whatever tire trips my trigger in either one of those sizes. The 205/55 might be an easier fit though. That Yokomama Racing tire (street legal) looks pretty bada** affraid , especially since it doesn't rain much around here. Mad

Dan, I haven't seen a Kury HI-5 in person yet, it might work though.

Stater61

stater61

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:43 am

To correct your speedo you need a larger diameter tire. I would use the O.D. specs. from the Tire mfg.'s sites, if your speedo accuracy is a priority. My tire's O.D. varies almost 2" between Brands in the same size. Most brands are close, some are way off. Your calcs don't sound right. Most of the info from actual users I've seen here is the 205/65-16 is best for speedo accuracy with stock 1800 gearing, a low profile 55 will make it worse, check the O.D. to be sure. The stock Dunlop is 26.02", and reads high, anything smaller and your speedo will read even higher than actual. I'll bet that 55 is smaller, and most 60's too. I haven't checked my speedo, I'm not concerned, I know it must be reading less than actual at 27.0", keeps the mileage down. :pirat: Good luck with your calculations. study
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum