Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Am I sure??

3 posters

Go down

Am I sure?? Empty Am I sure??

Post  boogerdave Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:30 pm

I made the decision yesterday to switch over to a Goodyear Eagle 245/50 R16 on my R3 and when a friend of mine came over I sold him the Metzler I had stashed. Now after I made the decision and mentioned it to a couple of bike mechs, they about ripped me a new one. I know the old bias ply tires that Harley put on their early dressers sucked in the corners, you tended to fall off the edge of the tread in corners. I really dont get into the twisties a lot but I do corner hard every now and then. I keep second guessing myself. Cadfather . . . . any problems?

boogerdave

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Am I sure?? Empty Re: Am I sure??

Post  horseman8m Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:40 pm

This is one thing that you and only you have to decide for yourself that tire is wide and you should know what your bike can handle in the swingarms eagle 245/50/16 has a sec width of 9.9" a tread width of 8.1" and a diam of 25.6" .
Yes it will handle dif. from a MC but if you do the research you will find that you can get used to it and you will prefer the ct to the mc tire. Read this , https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/pictures-f1/ds-ws-tread-by-bike-model-pics-comments-mar10-t607.htm

Then ask all the people that have your model bike what thay think of the tire thay are riding on.
you know what you can handle you have a great bike and you know how to ride , it is up to you to decide.
Don't let someone talk you out of something that you want to do , or talk you into something that you don't want to do.
Me i don't care what others think, if thay were a tire co. bigwig offering me free tires, i still wouldn't care, i didn't put this tire on to fit in or not to fit in or for anyone else but for me .
good luck on whatever you decide , your friend, Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  CADFather Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:23 am

boogerdave wrote:I made the decision yesterday to switch over to a Goodyear Eagle 245/50 R16 on my R3 and when a friend of mine came over I sold him the Metzler I had stashed. Now after I made the decision and mentioned it to a couple of bike mechs, they about ripped me a new one. I know the old bias ply tires that Harley put on their early dressers sucked in the corners, you tended to fall off the edge of the tread in corners. I really dont get into the twisties a lot but I do corner hard every now and then. I keep second guessing myself. Cadfather . . . . any problems?

Dave or is it Booger? Very Happy,
Sorry that it took so long to reply. There is a learning curve associated with the ct, but just one week after putting the ct on my rocket I went to Deals Gap with the guys on the Yamaha Warrior website and rode the Dragon. Was I nervous about it? Sure I was, I'd be lying to say that I wasn't but after a week riding in the mountains of NC I am convinced that it is not only safe but also safer than the Metz (more contact patch.) Is it for everyone? No, I don't think so, the guys that just know it's unsafe will never relax enough to see for themselves that it really is and they will always be waiting on the other shoe to drop and the ct to cause them problems that mt won't. I have scoured the internet looking for any evidence of the dangers of running CT's and can not find even one case of the CT being proven as the cause of any accidents. And as polarizing as the topic is, if there was any it would be the topic of many discussions on the many forums that I am a member of.

My recommendation is to try it and see if you like it, give it a couple of weeks to get used to the feel of the CT and the extra countersteer involved in turning. If after that, pull the CT off and mount a Metz. At the worst if you don't like it, you are out the cost of a new Car Tire and mounting, if you do like it you save approx, half the cost of a new Metzler. Let us know what you decide, and if you need more info, just ask.
CADFather
CADFather

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum