Looking for info on Toyo and General Tire

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Looking for info on Toyo and General Tire

Post  Dan on Thu May 15, 2008 11:48 am

You guys convinced me to go for it! I checked several online tire outlets, and only 1 has Toyo, and not the Proxes TPT 205/65R16 for my 04 18C. Any comments or info on, clearance, ride, handling, source, and price for my choice? Please indulge me, Thanx! I just found 2 more contenders; General Tire: Altimax RT, and HP?

Last edited by Dan on Sun May 18, 2008 9:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dan

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Looking for info on Toyo and General Tire

Post  twin1300 on Thu May 15, 2008 12:14 pm

I have been told by my twin brother and a few others that the T1R by Toyo is a better tire than the Proxes and handles better.

Glad to have you here and get all the advice you can to make the best decision. Welcome to the darkside. You have just gotten over the biggest hump, is deciding to do it. After that....it's ALL gravy!

..............bobby

aka....Senior Vader...(giving to me by my friends) Vader

http://www.hickmachine.com/ I got the CTR and love it!

VTXDS # 5
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan on Thu May 15, 2008 12:27 pm

Thanks! Love Gravy. My original choice was T1R, but I really want the tallest tire I can squeeze in there, and the T1R is not available in a 65 series. TPT and Versado LX are, and I hear from a local dealer the TPT is being disc.

Last edited by Dan on Fri May 30, 2008 8:39 am; edited 3 times in total
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  TennX on Thu May 15, 2008 1:40 pm

Check out these guys. good luck
http://tinyurl.com/uwd2b
TennX

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon on Thu May 15, 2008 2:01 pm

Dan wrote:You guys convinced me to go for it! I checked several online tire outlets, and only 1 has Toyo, and not the Proxes TPT 205/65R16 for my 04 18C. Any comments or info on, clearance, ride, handling, source, and price for my choice? Please indulge me, Thanx!

Toyo Proxes starting at $54 and usually free shipping....
http://www.treadepot.com/tires.html?gclid=CKDfyc-XqZMCFRQXsgodMCTnow

Happy looking...
Jerry
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 on Thu May 15, 2008 3:20 pm

I paid 102 for my tpt4 from a local tire dealer. It turned out cheaper than online with shipping. Try your local folks see what they can do for you. Then when it comes to getting it mounted I took the wheel off and took it and the tire and cash (ne receipt) to a local small HD shop to get it mounted.

See you out there
Smokey

Life's short, work hard, play harder and ride it like it's yours.

Wringing your hands just prevents you from rolling up your sleeves.

1300C with too many to list and the list keeps changing.
Currently running Hydroedge 205-70-15

carb tuning help by scar http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=1914
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

TreaDepot

Post  Cords on Thu May 15, 2008 3:40 pm

Thanks for the TreaDepot link. Cool I was looking for the same thing and didn't have a lot of time to research. Free shipping, and base priced the same as everyone else. ($168 for T1R 215/45/18 )

My pop-up blocker wouldn't allow me to order online (a pop-up is supposed to come up and you enter your zip code). Even after allowing pop-ups. Called the toll free number, and verified that it IS free shipping and decided to place the order.

I guess that means I just made my tire decision. :afro:

I'll let you know if the tire shows up or not- I don't have a receipt or anything. Just an order number and the name "Matt". He said 3-5 days to WI.

Last edited by Cords on Fri May 16, 2008 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Cords

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan on Thu May 15, 2008 7:48 pm

Treadepot, best price so far, @ $84 for TPT 205/65R16 free shipping. I thought I had my mind made up, but the local dealer had a TPT in stock, not my size naturally, and after closely looking at it, I'm concerned about the tread pattern, and it's effect on handling. ie: tracking and walking. Does anyone have experience with this tire or the Versado, and does a directional tread help much to prevent walking(drifting w/road crown)? TPT is directional, Versado isn't. How about the General Tire Altimax RT and HP?

Last edited by Dan on Sat May 17, 2008 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 on Fri May 16, 2008 7:59 am

Dan wrote:Treadepot, best price so far, @ $84 for TPT 205/65R16 free shipping. I thought I had my mind made up, but the local dealer had a TPT in stock, not my size naturally, and after closely looking at it, I'm concerned about the tread pattern, and it's effect on handling. ie: tracking and walking. Does anyone have experience with this tire or the Versado, and does a directional tread help much to prevent walking(drifting w/road crown)? TPT is directional, Versado isn't. How about the General Tire Altimax RT?

Dan,
Us 1300 guys up till some months ago didn't have a choice in a directional tire. Our tires were NOT directionals and none of us have had a problem with the difference of turning left or right or tracking, so a directional tire should be even better..... Shocked If that make sense.

My 205 that I have now is a non-directional tire and does fantastic.

..............bobby

VTXDS # 5
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan on Fri May 16, 2008 9:13 am

Hey Bobby,

That's some serious M+S tread your runnin. Bayou tire eh bon homme! Maybe I'm being too fussy, but I want to get the best first impression possible from a CT. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I would think a tire with the least straight rib treading, and most diagonal tread, would be best for reducing or eliminating tracking and pulling with road crown. The GT Altima RT has plenty of diagonal, but mostly in the same direction, looking from the rear it runs upwards, left to right, could this possibly counteract pulling to right from road crown? My rear tire still has at least a safe K or so left in it, so I'll wait for a little more input. I'm a Darksider wannabee for now. Thanx guys!
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster on Sun May 18, 2008 3:46 am

dunno about the tread design versus pull, ect, but I am partial to directional tread. But that might be because it looks cooler! Very Happy

nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 on Sun May 18, 2008 7:29 am

I am running the tpt4 toyo proxes on my scoot. I have run both general tirea and directional and I will take the directional anyday. They both handle the same. What makes a difference on the ridge running feedback you are going to get is the width of the tire. That being said I still want the widest tire I can get under me. The amount of countersteer it takes to get over the effects of a crowned road are minute at best. I live out in the boonies and ride crowned roads (winter and rain runoff designed) all the time. I also throw it through some awesome twisties riding hard on a regular basis. My favorite thing about the tpt4 is the sheer acceleration I get in the rain. I was leaving work the other day in a downpour and one of the guys there that rides happened to be behind me in is cage. The next morning he told me he was damn impressed with the tire as he had never seen anyone hammer down accelerating in the rain like that. Damn sure had never seeen anyone lift the front (not a lot, just 3-4 inches) upshifting while turning in the rain. Now we are looking to find him one for his victory vegas. He don't get to ride much as he has to do chemo every 2 weeks and it takes him about 10 days to get back to normal so he can ride, but he wants to give the darkside a try.
Bottom line to remember Dan is that this is not a motorcycle tire. It will feel different, but as has been stated on here before, 90% of it is getting over the mental part of it. Once you pull the trigger and do it and get a couple hundred miles under your belt you will kick yourself in the ass for not having done it a lot sooner. I personally will never go back to a mc tire on the rear of my bike. And darkside availability will be a big consideration in any future bikes I may buy.

Good luck
See you out there
Smokey

smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan on Sun May 18, 2008 12:52 pm

Hey Smokey,

Good info! The Toyo site shows; Proxes 4, Proxes FZ4, and Proxes TPT. Which ones yours? I'm getting a visual of you, coming out of a curve, on the back wheel, in the rain, with a mean rooster tail! You need to publish that, for Darksiders everywhere!
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 on Sun May 18, 2008 1:23 pm

smokey2255 wrote:I am running the tpt4 toyo proxes on my scoot. I have run both general tirea and directional and I will take the directional anyday. They both handle the same. What makes a difference on the ridge running feedback you are going to get is the width of the tire. That being said I still want the widest tire I can get under me. The amount of countersteer it takes to get over the effects of a crowned road are minute at best. I live out in the boonies and ride crowned roads (winter and rain runoff designed) all the time. I also throw it through some awesome twisties riding hard on a regular basis. My favorite thing about the tpt4 is the sheer acceleration I get in the rain. I was leaving work the other day in a downpour and one of the guys there that rides happened to be behind me in is cage. The next morning he told me he was damn impressed with the tire as he had never seen anyone hammer down accelerating in the rain like that. Damn sure had never seeen anyone lift the front (not a lot, just 3-4 inches) upshifting while turning in the rain. Now we are looking to find him one for his victory vegas. He don't get to ride much as he has to do chemo every 2 weeks and it takes him about 10 days to get back to normal so he can ride, but he wants to give the darkside a try.
Bottom line to remember Dan is that this is not a motorcycle tire. It will feel different, but as has been stated on here before, 90% of it is getting over the mental part of it. Once you pull the trigger and do it and get a couple hundred miles under your belt you will kick yourself in the ass for not having done it a lot sooner. I personally will never go back to a mc tire on the rear of my bike. And darkside availability will be a big consideration in any future bikes I may buy.

Good luck
See you out there
Smokey

+1 on every thing Smokey said. Don't let the non-directional tire fool you. It will hook as hard as Smokey's does. I was one of the first guys to ever do a darkside on a 1300 and first to find out how to do a wideside, 205 on a stock rim. Non-directionals have been a part of my riding daily for over 3 years....rain, cold, or whatever mother nature could throw at it. But the next tire I get if this thing will ever wear out will be a direcional tire just so I can have some data to compare.

Just so you know.....any of our darkside tires will impress you...even the 165 which the majority of us started on. The car tire is the bomb on a cruiser and will impress you so much, you will never go back.

.........................bobby

VTXDS # 5
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 on Mon May 19, 2008 9:37 am

Dan wrote:Hey Smokey,

Good info! The Toyo site shows; Proxes 4, Proxes FZ4, and Proxes TPT. Which ones yours? I'm getting a visual of you, coming out of a curve, on the back wheel, in the rain, with a mean rooster tail! You need to publish that, for Darksiders everywhere!

Dan
I am running the proxes 4. It is a directional tire that has an excellent wet and dry rating. It is a quiet tire, ie. I cant hear it over my cobras Laughing . Actually it has a great rating for quiet also. The only downside to it is that it is 205/55/16 and I would of preferred a 65 to try to bring the speedo closer to true. As it is I am off by about the stock 10%.
I will have to work on that pic for yall.

See you out there
Smokey

smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan on Mon May 19, 2008 8:15 pm

Just got my signature tire on, it's a go. Fits like the skin on a grape. Swingarm crossbrace seam, and fender brace lip needs a little grinding. Looks great, I'm psyched! I will start new thread soon, when I have more info. Later~Dan

Last edited by Dan on Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 on Tue May 20, 2008 5:16 am

Welcome to the darkside Dan, Twin will be along to show you the secrtet handshake and give you your cookies.

See you out there
Smokey

smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon on Tue May 20, 2008 6:57 am

You will love it Dan....How about a picture....

Twin, you gotta stop by my place with those cookies......

Jerry
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top